Season 3 - Round 1

A 6 yard, one handed, benchrest air pistol competition, for all abilities.
TheWilding
Re: Season 3 - Round 1

Post by TheWilding » Tue May 27, 2014 10:02 pm

Sod that!! We've all seen yours!

Maybe when my averages improve, but not the one I just shot, that's way to embarrassing :oops:

ATB

Sean

Scrench

Post by Scrench » Tue May 27, 2014 10:32 pm

Removed my original comment here - seems to have started something I didn't intend.
Last edited by Scrench on Thu May 29, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Post by kj68 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:40 am

Hi Phil just a query do we need take show you our completed targets each month as evidence, as I dont mind but I thought this was based on trust. I get the impression that people dont think trust is enough.

kj68 :think:
Happy Shooting

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed May 28, 2014 6:12 pm

I think humour is getting lost in the translation.

No need to show targets. It is based on trust, and there had been no need to question anybodys trust so far.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

TheWilding

Post by TheWilding » Fri May 30, 2014 9:59 pm

Here you go Scrench, I decided to suck it up and reveal all.....

I decided to score myself low on a couple as I couldn't decide if I'd broke the line or shot bang in between them.

My pistol has its sights set for 6 yards, so I need to aim at, or just below, the figure 6 to come anywhere near bull, not an easy task when your short sighted, so my aim point is more of a guess.

You can also notice quite evidently which targets are level to the pistol when I shoot and the ones I have to shoot down slightly to, I think next month I'll lift it so the centre targets are at muzzle height

This was a real eye opener for me, especially when you consider I'm currently at the top of the leader board of the current UBC 6 yard pistol postal :think:

On the flip side it is a springer, all be it recoilless, and as everyone knows, or should do, springers and solid rests don't mix to well :naughty:

I don't know whether it could be construed to be cheating if I modified the targets with the aid of a fat black pen and a pair of compass' so I don't have to alter my sights for every discipline I enter with it..... Phil????

ATB

Sean

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri May 30, 2014 10:58 pm

TheWilding wrote:I don't know whether it could be construed to be cheating if I modified the targets with the aid of a fat black pen and a pair of compass' so I don't have to alter my sights for every discipline I enter with it..... Phil????

ATB

Sean
Alas, no. This would be altering the target. Part of the skill is estimating the aim off, and trying to reproduce it.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

TheWilding

Post by TheWilding » Sat May 31, 2014 9:00 am

pmh wrote:
TheWilding wrote:I don't know whether it could be construed to be cheating if I modified the targets with the aid of a fat black pen and a pair of compass' so I don't have to alter my sights for every discipline I enter with it..... Phil????

ATB

Sean
Alas, no. This would be altering the target. Part of the skill is estimating the aim off, and trying to reproduce it.

Kind regards,

Phil
Fairy muff, I'll just have to wait for that elusive rich millionaire aunty to die and leave me all her money, then I could have a dedicated bench rest pistol aswell as a 6yarder :pray:

ATB

Sean

Scrench

Post by Scrench » Sat May 31, 2014 7:59 pm

Sean,

It took me forever just to try to hold black in 10m, like you did on all of your targets. I'd say that shooting a springer off a bench is difficult, a built-in handicap, and you've done very well. Thanks for giving my target some company!

I'm printing the targets on regular paper right off of the internet, so I had to come up with a way to get better definition for those "in-between" the lines shots, so I could score it more accurately. What I did was to place 4 pieces of double-sided tape, about an inch long or so, up, down, left and right, just touching the back side of each black circle, then stuck two of my 10m Edellmann targets to the back. Edellmanns are used in top-level competition and cut perfect holes because the grain of the paper in multidirectional, not linear like most paper. That's why they don't rip. But even so, you can see on my target that some of them still pulled a chad from the paper. Instead of Edellmanns you can use as stiff a piece of paper as you can find, like light cardboard, something to force the paper not to tear. Next time I'll try moving the tape in a little closer to the bull, maybe the 9 line to get cleaner holes. I heard someone else mention using masking tape on the back of a target. I think the idea was to completely cover the back of the target with it. I've never tried it but give it a go if you want.

I think I'd call your lower right target a 9, not a 8, based on the arc of the curve of the hole over or on the 9 line, plus the fact that the targets' lines are almost perfectly one .177 pellet width apart, and the OUTSIDE edge of your hole is clearly NOT touching the 8 line. There's a bit of a rip there, but you can clearly distinguish the main arc of the hole. Sometimes you have to look at things backwards to get the whole picture. Phil?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat May 31, 2014 9:00 pm

Some scores are head scratchers for sure.

Even using my Eagle Eye Gauge for scoring competitions, some are still difficult to judge.

In such cases, it is always best to aire on the side of caution and choose the lower score.

As this is an honour competition, I'll leave it up to the individual to decide.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

TheWilding

Post by TheWilding » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:15 pm

Scrench,

Believe it or not my rest as a height adjustable 3 legged walking stick I found in a house I was doing a clearance in about 2 weeks ago, I remember thinking 'oh, thats handy I have just the job for that', and in the back of the van it went.....

It stands on my usual shooting bench just nicely.

On my right hand target I folded my rifle shooting glove over the handle and shot from the furthest point on the handle that wasn't in direct connection with the stick so it was as springy/forgiving as possible.

I think its noticable by slight increase in score.

I probably just need to do a practice sheet of measured dots to work out my aim points, and perfect my rest a bit more, maybe with some foam, rather go into it half cocked and over confident.... I'll give it a go when I get home on the weekend and see how I fair.

ATB

Sean