Season 3 - Round 2

A 6 yard, one handed, benchrest air pistol competition, for all abilities.
pmh
Site Admin
Season 3 - Round 2

Post by pmh » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:17 pm

Starts on the 1st and ends at 22:00 on the 30th of June 2014.

The rules and target are contained within the "Sticky".

Good luck.

Results received so far:-

Scrench
Aitchy
TheWilding
Appinpar68
Lord Sut
mitchel301
pmh

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Scrench

Re: Season 3 - Round 2

Post by Scrench » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Hello Everyone,

Here's number 2. I tried a different arrangement with the double-sided tape but I got more tears than last time. Back to the drawing board.

Good Luck All,
Scrench
6-Yd-Benchrest-2-007-2.jpg

TheWilding

Post by TheWilding » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:15 pm

All 10s!!!

Pfft, show off!

I tried 2 layers of masking tape on my UBC targets on the weekend, shot my first ever 50 x50 :dance: , it holds it together better than plain paper, bit more tearing than your experiment shows but then its 5 shots into the same bull so difficult to tell properly, also I suppose it depends on the quality of the tape

When I shoot my target, hopefully this weekend, I'll do the same tape method so as we have a definitive answer for one shot on one bull

ATB

Sean

Scrench

Post by Scrench » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:45 pm

Sean,

I'm the show-off and you're shooting 50x50 and 5 shots into 1 bull? Methinks thou protest too much my friend!

I think the double-sided tape on the back around each bull, and then a stiff/thick piece of paper or cardboard stuck behind your target works better. Try it and see what you think. I've never really tried the masking tape bit except once, with not much success as I remember, but I've been wrong before, I'd hate to break the tradition.

Best Regards,

Richard

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:03 pm

I found the packs of A4 card, sold by The Works, are good for printing targets on.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

TheWilding

Post by TheWilding » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Well, I just shot and submitted my Rnd 2 scores, a bit of an improvement but still 4x 9s in there :oops:

I HAVE to do something in regards my rest(!), I paid more attention this time to what was going on with the pistol while shooting on the rest (probably explains the abundance of 9 scores :roll: ) and the pistol, despite being semi-recoiless, noticeably bounced on the rest.

I have a folded towel on it currently, so I may have to re think some form of foam onto it before the next round.

I also noticed the trigger has gone really stiff and gritty feeling all of a sudden, so looks like a trigger fettle may be in the offing aswell :doh:

ATB

Sean

Scrench

Post by Scrench » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 am

Sean,

Lord knows I'm no professional, and you probably know more about shooting than I do, but the single most important thing I learned in shooting 1 arm extended 10 meter Olympic style (besides trigger control) is this: Focus on your front sight blade.

Do whatever it takes to get that blade in focus because it determines everything. If you can't clearly line up your sights, you're done before you start. In 10m, the target is usually a bit of a blur, which is why the majority of shooters have their sights adjusted for the 6:00 position, aiming right at the bottom of the entire black portion of the target. You can see the black portion of the target sitting on top of your sights if you use the 6:00 setup, but can't clearly distinguish the bullseye if you aim straight at it because the black of the target obscures your sights. Lighting makes a big difference too. I try to shoot outside with the sun blazing on the target from behind my back. Hardly anybody aims straight at the bullseye. Now I know this sounds ridiculous because you have to look at your target, but that front blade determines where your shot is going to go, not looking at what you are shooting at. Whenever I find myself hitting 8's or less, the first thing I do is figure out what I'm concentrating on, and every time I've reverted back to looking at the target, not the blade. It's tough to train yourself to do it consistently. If you are not already doing it, try it and see what you think.

After saying all of this, for this event, since we are so close to the target, I do aim at the bull, but I'm still looking at the front blade, the bull is a secondary thing in my vision.

Apologies if I sound like a smart-ass know-it-all. I'm not, I just like to see everyone excel at whatever they are doing to their highest potential, if they want to. I've coached a lot of people in different sports over the years, and it's amazing (and funny) how sometimes the littlest tip can make everything come together and make sense for someone.

As far as the bounce, it's a spring gun. I've never played with a spring pistol, but every spring rifle I've had did the same thing, which is why they came up with the "artillery" hold, essentially hold the gun with the absolute least amount of pressure in any direction that you can, and let it do it's thing when it fires. The torque of the spring unwinding makes it vibrate and jump all over the place, but if you try to force a spring gun to stay still in any direction, it will never fire the same way twice because you can't apply the exact same pressure consistently. Therefore, let the gun go and do what it wants. Then you just make adjustments for how your gun behaves, but from then on, you'll be in sync with your gun instead of fighting it.

My apologies if this is all old news to you, but if so, maybe it will still benefit someone else in this event.

Best Regards and Good Luck,
Scrench

TheWilding

Post by TheWilding » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:07 pm

Yup, all old news to me mate, only do springers, none of that soulless PCP sh!te in my shed :snooty:

To be fair I think its more to do with the fact I'm a bit shy of adjusting my sights once set, the reason is I'm currently top shot in the UBC 6yd comp and I'm also top of the BSAOG 6yd pistol comp aswell (not much to shout about on this as there is only 2 of us that compete in that comp :roll: )

The result of this is I'm forced to aim at the 6 figure on the bench rest target as the other two are both 40mm black diameter, and its them I'm zeroed in too.

Saying that I should make the effort and count the number of clicks from roundel to roundel, I say this as I had to re zero the pistol last weekend due to the oppressive heat and humidity in my garage last sunday, I last shot the pistol on the previous tuesday and it was bang on 3 of 5 well inside the 10 ring with not to much effort.... came to shoot on sunday and the POI had shifted 20mm vertically down (that's about 7/8ths of an inch to you Scrench :D ) so had to re-zero it.

I reckon this was due to the near 27 deg C temperature and oppressively high humidity affecting the shot cycle of the pistol making it produce less power, I know it wasn't me as I have made anatomical grips for the Model 6M so only have to make minor adjustments to the grip to get my natural point of aim spot on, yet the POI was consistently 20mm low, so I'm sure its the atmospherics :think:

I may start shooting my targets mid evening from now on as to be fair it was damn near stifling in my non-ventilated garage just so I don't sweat out a small lake while shooting a 5 or 6 shot card!

ATB

Sean

Scrench

Post by Scrench » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:57 am

Sean,

.82 of an inch to be precise :)

Here in Southern Lousyan... I mean Louisiana, we have real swamps, not like the lame Everglades in Florida, but the real stuff, where you WILL be eaten by alligators if go to the wrong place. Heck, just a few miles out of Baton Rouge my wife and I were kayaking and a large gator must have thought our boats were other gators, so it popped up under my wife's kayak and threw her about 2 feet into the air. Almost knocked her over and made lunch out of her. Ssssccccaaaaaaarrrrrrrryyyyy!

ANYWAY, the point is, we have humidity like nowhere else in the entire USA. Here in BR we host several National caliber tournaments at my home air gun range, including the Silhouette National Championship, and competitors from all over the country always rate our range as the hardest they've ever shot on because the humidity changes the POI drastically between a morning round and an afternoon round. The Field Target lanes all run right beside a bayou. The mist rises out of it in the morning. Even shooting Silhouette pistols from 10 to 18 yards a week ago, I had to adjust my POI by 3 inches from practice in the morning for the afternoon round. Of course my Izzy only shoots around 400 fps anyway. It's even worse in the middle of summer when our temps get up to about 112-115 based on the humidity. Yes, humidity, especially combined with temperature change, will absolutely affect your POI. I usually don't go to the trouble to rezero because I don't trust the mechanics of a several decades old Russian agricultural tool! If I find it's 3 inches out, I just aim lower.

Congratulations for doing so well in your UBC comp. I wish I had more guts (and time) to participate in something like that.

I agree with the soulless nature of PCP's, but, I think they are indispensable for learning trigger control. You just don't get the subtle nuances because a spring bouncing around covers all of that up. If you have a flaw with control on a dead PCP, you'll know instantly.

Best Regards,
Scrench

TheWilding

Post by TheWilding » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:43 am

" I wish I had more guts (and time) to participate in something like that."

Go on, you entered this one didn't you?!

The UBC comp is mainly UK shooters, but the BSAOG comp is world wide, I shoot against another guy from here in the UK, a chap from Malta, and occasionally a guy from New Zealand.... there was some more interest shown from here in the UK for this season but after last months results it appears those threats were idle ones :roll:

The good thing with the BSAOG comp is you dont have to shoot a BSA to enter, I use my Diana in the pistol, and there's a monthly 'Fun' target that I use my Diana Model 24D in, though I do use my BSA to shoot the 2 longer range sections I enter as well.

Its all shot on a 6 bull A4 size target that you down load, shoot, then scan and return to have verified.

All you have to do is sign up on the BSAOG site then go to the competitions section to enter. I'm sure Dick would allow a late entry or 2 as the numbers are so low the added competition would be most welcome.... like I said its only me and Dick that shoot the pistol section, so at the moment the worst I can come is second place :dance:

Go on, it'll be fun :D

ATB

Sean