Benchrest Rule Tweak

A place to discuss new ideas, thoughts, and chat about existing competitions.

Benchrest Pistol - Do We Need to Set a Target Limit?

No, the rules are fine as they are, don't change them.
63%
Yes, shoot two practice targets, then shoot the target from which scores are submitted.
25%
Yes, shoot three targets, then submit the highest score (both targ 1 & targ 2 from the same sheet though).
13%
Yes, other which I'll detail in the thread.
No votes

Total votes: 8

pmh
Site Admin
Benchrest Rule Tweak

Post by pmh » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:53 pm

I never set any limits to the number if targets which can be shot in a session, as I never really gave it any thought.

Some competitions set out a strict number of practice cards, before the final card is shot for submission.

Some competitions say you may shoot X number of cards in a session, sending in the results of the highest scoring one.

Do we need to make any such amendments, or just leave it as it is?

I only mention this as some members new to "postal" competitions may feel uneasy about how they shot the round, and some guidance may be reassuring.

I've added a pole.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Nyctophiliac

Post by Nyctophiliac » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:03 pm

In my ignorance, I assumed one should practice on the targets on non competition days (i.e. normal shooting for fun days). Then on the day you decide to shoot for the comp - do a couple of practice targets and then shoot the competition target for real.

I thought that shooting several and only submitting the best was a bit iffy in fairness. Although there are some competitions that allow this - TOP GEARs Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, for instance.

Also, I find that if I am shooting THE TARGET then it concentrates the mind and body wonderfully!

Still in awe of that perfect 50 score though. If only I could get a card like that!

And, on that bombshell...

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Practice ??

Post by zunmik » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:45 pm

I voted to leave things as they are, I usually shoot comps with tight rules where practice is controlled & targets have to be submitted to verify the score. However as this comp is on trust it would be strange to be relaxed on scores submitted, but tight rules on practice!, we must also be carefull not to put people off having a go cos they cannot fit practice & entry within the rules. I'm retired i can shoot when i like, for people working & commuting it may be a different matter. The existing rules are clear & fine to me & if anyone has a query they only have to ask, M.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

JonW
Plinker
Plinker

Post by JonW » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:10 pm

I voted 'no leave them as they are' as I felt that the relaxed ruling was in keeping with the atmosphere of the forum.
I will be entering a score card for this month so I will watch this carefully.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:49 pm

I try to shoot this kind of competition the same way I used to shoot my 10m competition cards at the club. I allow myself two practice targets and then shoot the one I have marked as the formal competition one beforehand. Whatever the score is on the marked card is the one I enter even if it is lower than any of the practice ones. Even on my own in the garage this introduces a slight air of tension that can make me perform really well or go completely to pot. Other than the two initial practice cards I dont do any other shooting on the day in question beforehand. I find this approach really enjoyable.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:19 pm

It's even between option 1 and 2 at the moment. I don't intend to vote, but let forum members decide.

I am indifferent, but would like to remove any confusion for future entrants.

This thread wasn't intended to have a go at anybody, or suggest any wrong doing.

I am pleased to say that all submissions for Round 1 have been honourable, and in keeping with the spirit of the forum.

Nyctophiliac summed it up nicely in mentioning shooting a couple of practice targets before going on to shoot the submitted target.

Perhaps this should be mentioned in the "sticky" along the lines:-

"Shooters may, if they wish, shoot up to two practice rounds before shooting the round to be submitted. "

I have done this in competitions and did better on the practice targets than my submitted target, but that's how it goes sometimes.  :D

Kind regards,

Phil
Last edited by pmh on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
M0KPH

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:25 pm

I recall one evening shooting my monthly cards for one of the Berkshire leagues and getting my best scores yet on the practice cards - when it came to shoot the 5 competition cards I was terrible - a number of my shots almost missed the cards altogether!

Sometimes I would shoot the comp cards without practicing at all beforehand and this worked quite well on occasion.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:28 pm

When doing the Dorset League, or the MPL, my practice cards are usually better than my actuals.  :D

I usually shoot 1 to 2 practice rounds before the actual as, it seems, do most others.

As mentioned, it might be worth clarifying this point to avoid any confusion for new members who may not be used to competitions.

Then again, wise words from Zunmik and JonW.!

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

I

Post by zunmik » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:25 pm

JonW:1226 wrote:I voted 'no leave them as they are' as I felt that the relaxed ruling was in keeping with the atmosphere of the forum.
I will be entering a score card for this month so I will watch this carefully.
I to was planning to enter,after what appeared to be a good start, but these maybe/possible changes i find very off putting so probally may not bother now to many variables, crazy to mess with whats already working,
M. :?  :?
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:27 pm

Having considered the excellent responses, I think it would be wise to leave everything as it was, unchanged.

Sorry to potentially confuse with this thread, I was just thinking out loud.

Thank you all for your valuable input, and I look forward to seeing you in the competition.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

mitchell301
Plinker
Plinker

Post by mitchell301 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 pm

I submitted the one and only target that I shot. 3 practice/zero pellets, then the target. I will continue to do this for the rest of the comp.I find it quite a challenge for myself, and a lot of fun........ expect to see some very diverse results from me  :lol:     ps... I will, of course practice on other days though. :wink:
illegitimi non-carborundum descenda

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:03 pm

It certainly is a challenge, and a good technique has to be discovered.

I'd score more free standing, so I need more practice!  :D

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

mitchell301
Plinker
Plinker

Post by mitchell301 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:25 pm

I shot the one target, and was quite pleased with the result, so I submitted it. I thought to myself.."I'll use this as my benchmark, and continue in the same way each month". Its just a little extra challenge for myself, and would be interesting to see if I can improve on it each month. Like you, I'm far more comfortable freestanding, and will need a lot of practice benchresting in between comps. But, on the day.... I'll do it virtually cold just as a bit of personal fun. Its a rattly little 60 year old Junior with an unrifled barrel......the fun for me is just competing with it:D
illegitimi non-carborundum descenda

JonW
Plinker
Plinker

Post by JonW » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:06 am

mitchell301:1238 wrote:will need a lot of practice benchresting in between comps. But, on the day.... I'll do it virtually cold just as a bit of personal fun.
This is what I was planning to do.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:38 am

Just need some decent weather now, in order to shoot round 2.

Just had the best part of 2 weeks worth of rain.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH