Poll - should comps be verified?

A place to discuss new ideas, thoughts, and chat about existing competitions.

Should monthly comps be verified

No
62%
Yes - targets should be sent in (witnessed)
8%
Yes - targets should be sent in (not witnessed)
31%

Total votes: 13

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
Poll - should comps be verified?

Post by Ian » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 am

Following on from recent discussion on the pros and cons of monthly comps being verified of not I thought that it might be interesting to post a poll.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:13 pm

Difficult one for me, as I would have replied "some".

That way members have a choice as to which comps they enter.

With the members we have, I have no doubt over the honour and integrity of the shooters.

I have no object to verification by submission, I do think this is a good idea, but I do think it puts some off as they haven't got the equipment to scan, or the like.

As it's not my poll, I don't want to add anything,  but maybe two extra options may help:-

Split: some on the honour system, some witnessed and verified.
Split: some on the honour system, some verified.

In this case, I would vote for the latter.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Verification ??

Post by zunmik » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:21 pm

This is a diffacult one for me to especially as i am currently not competing
however i think a split would be a mishmash!, i do prefer verification because of what i see as varying interpretations of rules & scoring, i have in the past shot the honour scoring system, but was put off by what i noticed as huge variations in scores submitted monthly as to what they were when the  comps were shot at meets once or twice a year. Of course at the meets they where witnessed & verified rather than the usual individual interpretation of rules & scoring, & i have not shot such competitions since. Having said that i am happy to go with the majority i have other comp's i can shoot in that are verified, atb, M. :?  :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Plinkit
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Plinkit » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:44 pm

I voted for the verified but not witnessed option. I believe like M that different people interperet things very differently. It should only be used in a comp that is considered 'serious' though. If it's just a bit of fun then the honour system obviously should be the standard format.

I too am not involved with any online comps at the moment (I have my reasons).
Ian used to run loads of offhand fun comps 'back in the day'  :wink:   and to use anything other than the honour system would have made them...well...less fun.  :lol:
>>>This space has been reserved for a witty signature<<<

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:17 pm

I know what you mean about interpretation.

I always use my Intershoot Eagle Eye to score my targets, which makes a big difference.

As I fasten my target to a steel back plate, I do get a perfectly round hole, but they are enlarged, often splitting a line.  Many would count this. However, the Eagle Eye often shows these to be short of the line when the correct diameter has been applied.

I am not saying such people are deliberately trying to alter scores, they probably think a hole is a hole and, therefore, it counts.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Jim McArthur

Post by Jim McArthur » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Emphatically, NO! The Umarex Boys Club grew from a handful of air pistol shooters with a dream, to the world's largest international internet airgun forum and competition in the world, and we have always taken shooters at their word.

Fun and honor are the watchwords: lie or cheat and you only cheat yourself.

Jim
Yes, that IS a pistol in my pocket: and no, I'm NOT glad to see you!

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:19 pm

Jim McArthur:1941 wrote: Fun and honor are the watchwords: lie or cheat and you only cheat yourself.
Cant argue with this

I guess that if someone really wants to cheat (I cant think why anyone would want to, but its a funny old world) then they will find a way round a verification system somehow

Hmm................

Aitchy

Verification of competition entries

Post by Aitchy » Sat May 04, 2013 2:47 pm

This is possibly a bit late for comment, but perhaps a compromise would be to ask competitors to retain cards on the understanding that the winner's may be required for verification?

Dissagreement about scoring 'on the edge' is bound to happen, but the possibility of a check would at least deter anyone just inventing their score (but does that really happen?).

As for disparity between private and public shoot results, surely that's to be expected? For best results you can't beat a quiet room with perfect lighting and no distractions, particularly if you know you can put your feet up and have a cup of tea immediately it gets the least bit stressful!

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat May 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Interesting that this thread has been resurrected, as this has cropped up during discussions on the proposed 6 yard MPL postal competition.

Any competition shot in a club environment should be witnessed by other club members, but there is not necessarily need for them to counter sign your target. This very much depends on the rules of the competition.

On a pre honour system, where shooters simply submit their scores, then there is really no reason to have a competition witnessed.

A compromise is for shooters to submit their cards on official targets, which is the route, I think, would best suit the MPL.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Lord Sut

Re: Poll - should comps be verified?

Post by Lord Sut » Wed May 07, 2014 4:11 pm

I'm now starting my second season entering UBC comps and have sent in my first score for a CAPA comp. Up until last week I was not a member of a club and would not have been able to get my scores verified. Surely the whole idea is to give people an excuse to get their guns out and get shooting. If you are in a club there will be more formal comps to enter so I see the CAPA and UBC comps as ideal for the majority of folk that are not in a club.
Having a reason to shoot has increased the use of my guns and my enjoyment. It has also propelled me into a club where I will soon be in verified comps. This would not have happened if I'd needed verified scores to start with.

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Post by kj68 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:14 pm

I think its really good to have online comps, and also it should be based on trust at the end of the day if you cheat with yr scores its yrself you are also cheating. So I would not be sending my targets in. :think:

kj68
Happy Shooting

TheWilding

Post by TheWilding » Tue May 20, 2014 8:36 pm

I am yet to do the Bench Rest or 6yd comps on here, and I shot my first cards for 2x UBC comps 6yd 1 & 2 handed pistol & 6yd Open Rifle, and I have already done a season over on BSAOG I their postal/email comp, this season I'm competing in 4x different disciplines, 6yd pistol, standing; 6yd rifle, off hand; 15yd rifle, off hand; and 20yd rifle, kneeling shooting at what I assume is a 10 metre rifle 6x bull type target plus a fun target per month.

On BSAOG we need to scan and return, along with our written scores, to be verified, (that's 5 scanned targets I need to return).... I suppose it stops cheating to a degree, but whats to stop you printing out several targets and scanning the best :liar:

On UBC they stipulate the number of practice shots you can take before they start scoring which I duely take on another card just to make sure of zero and aim point, on BSAOG I print of 2x copies of the card and do the same as for the UBC cards per discipline.

I feel your only cheating yourself, you couldn't do it if you were in a live comp, where the pressure is much higher, & referees will be in attendance, so why bother in your garage on your own in a relaxed atmosphere, if you cant do it there your never going to do it when its public :naughty:

I think you should just be honest and either admit to yourself you need to improve or not bother entering, as when it comes to a live comp against people you've competed against across the www, and suddenly your scores are half of what you were proclaiming them to be I'm going to guess your integrity might just be called into question..... :liar:

ATB

Sean