Paper Bell Target Rifle Competition

A place to discuss new ideas, thoughts, and chat about existing competitions.
zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Plinkit:2169 wrote:I had a go at bell target the other year at the Shooting Show (before it became another property of the Midlands) and the rifle that was used was an AA S200 with diopter sights, will pcp's be allowed?
As far as i know any type is ok as long as its .177, my club allows open sights, diopters, + non magnifying red dot sights, different members shoot all types, spring co2 pcp ssp etc, old or modern, M. :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Plinkit
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Plinkit » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:21 pm

Cheers M

So an old open sight (peep hole) MSP will be ok then.  8)

Sh1t just realised its a .22  :cry:

How about a Walther underlever??
>>>This space has been reserved for a witty signature<<<

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Plinkit:2171 wrote:Cheers M

So an old open sight (peep hole) MSP will be ok then.  8)

Sh1t just realised its a .22  :cry:

How about a Walther underlever??
Make type don't matter thats the beauty of the sport just .177 & no tele sights , hope your keeping well
Mike.

Plinkit
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Plinkit » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:41 pm

zunmik:2172 wrote: Make type don't matter thats the beauty of the sport just .177 & no tele sights.
Brilliant, just need to know the rest of the rules  :wink:
zunmik:2172 wrote:  hope your keeping well

Thanks for asking same as most it seems 'pretty cr4p' but not going to let it get me down  :)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:52 pm

I think I might be able to get 6 faces per target sheet, and a sighter, so that would mean 2 x target sheets per entry.

This would mean excluding some of the outer rings, just would need to agree the scoring.

I would include score fractions so that .22 rifles could be used, which would handicap them in a way, as they are less likely to get a clean hit on the centre.

My suggested scoring would be:-

5.2 - Clean hit on centre (no line breaks)
5.0 - Centre hit (line break)
4.0 - Within first outer ring
3.0 - Within second outer ring

Upward scoring.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:07 pm

pmh:2174 wrote:I think I might be able to get 6 faces per target sheet, and a sighter, so that would mean 2 x target sheets per entry.

This would mean excluding some of the outer rings, just would need to agree the scoring.

I would include score fractions so that .22 rifles could be used, which would handicap them in a way, as they are less likely to get a clean hit on the centre.

My suggested scoring would be:-

5.2 - Clean hit on centre (no line breaks)
5.0 - Centre hit (line break)
4.0 - Within first outer ring
3.0 - Within second outer ring

Upward scoring.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

Phil
I am doubtfull about 5 ring scoring & 6 yds with a rifle allowing line breaks to score 5 is out side bell target norm's & at 6 yds most shots would be clustered here so it might be diffacult to separate a winner, M.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:06 pm

Come on chaps, let's hear your thoughts on scoring.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Plinkit
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Plinkit » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:22 pm

zunmik:2175 wrote: I am doubtfull about 5 ring scoring & 6 yds with a rifle allowing line breaks to score 5 is out side bell target norm's & at 6 yds most shots would be clustered here so it might be diffacult to separate a winner, M.
I was under the impression M that P's target was going to be a one shot per target affair with 6 targets per sheet.

As regards the scoring it seems ok to me but i'm no expert. However are you suggesting that there will only be 2 outer scoring rings with your proposed target?

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:45 pm

Plinkit:2201 wrote:
zunmik:2175 wrote: I am doubtfull about 5 ring scoring & 6 yds with a rifle allowing line breaks to score 5 is out side bell target norm's & at 6 yds most shots would be clustered here so it might be diffacult to separate a winner, M.
I was under the impression M that P's target was going to be a one shot per target affair with 6 targets per sheet.

As regards the scoring it seems ok to me but i'm no expert. However are you suggesting that there will only be 2 outer scoring rings with your proposed target?
I'm no longer sure myself i originally suggested online bell target it seems to have evolved to something like a ubc fun shoot so i will withdraw from this comp idea, the pistol shoot appears to have sadly stopped i still can't find round 3 results?. If a rifle shoot does happen people must make it what suits the majority, M.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:20 pm

zunmik:2203 wrote: I'm no longer sure myself i originally suggested online bell target it seems to have evolved to something like a ubc fun shoot so i will withdraw from this comp idea, the pistol shoot appears to have sadly stopped i still can't find round 3 results?. If a rifle shoot does happen people must make it what suits the majority, M.
No, I do not believe that to be the case at all. What Phil proposed, and I agree, was to print six targets to a sheet of A4 paper so there is no doubt about the scores - a point I believe you made earlier.
I personally do not do "fun shoots". Having said that, I try not to take myself too seriously either.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:10 pm

Round 3 shots now posted.

This will be far from a "fun" shoot type of competition.

Your original suggestion was a good one, and I thought I had translated it into a concept.

Nothing is cast in stone yet, so no need to withdraw.

I was hoping to put 6 x faces onto one sheet, + a sighed target.

This will make scoring easier as there will only be 1 bit per target face.

Two sheets will be shot, giving the common 2 x 6 shot rounds, plus 1 slighter per set of 6.

In order to get 6 faces on one sheet I will need to remove an outer ring, or two, but these are rarely hit, so shouldn't cause too many problems.

We could keep all rings, and shoot a total of 4 x sheets in order to get one shot per face. It's really up to members.

I don't purpose to proceed until everybody is happy with the rules, target layout, etc.

So, all comments/ideas are welcome.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

beeker
Marksman
Marksman

Post by beeker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Never having participated in "bell target" contests or knowing anything about the format, could one of you chaps enlighten me. Are all shots to be taken in a standing position ? :?: Does anyone ever shoot these with an open sight pistol ? Or is it deemed to be too difficult.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:26 pm

These are free standing competitions over 6 yards,

The basic set up is the same country wide, but rules can change from district to district regarding number of shots, pellet type, sight type, etc.

A lot shoot open sights only, though non magnifying sights, such sure dot, are allowed in some comps.

Some comps also insist on a standard pellet.

Bell target pistol has been mentioned on many occasions, but I haven't personally had a go.

Shooting against proper bell targets, it is easier with .177, but for this comp it shouldn't matter much, other than to reduce the chance of getting a perfect centre for a maximum score.

I'll try and put all the above chat into a set of rules, which should make it a lot simpler.

Zunmik's original idea was a very good one, and I'll try and stick as closely to this as possible.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Had a chance to play with the target layout today, and came up with this:-

It's one shot per target face, with 1 sighter.

Shot over 2 target pages, this should give 12 shots plus 2 sighters, and is inline with the original suggestion.

All that is neede is to agree the scoring for the bell (bull).

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Scoring from the bull should be down. I don't see why we need to vary a working formula?
We do need to have the 10 and 10.1 scores though I think.
As I have now two Bell Target rifles I really find myself needing to justify them!
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/