I used to be a .22 man!

Postal competitions using spring, SSP, or MSP air pistols, that can be shot at home or in a club.
micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Sat May 04, 2013 9:44 pm

I've got Tau-7's in .22 and .177, both lovely guns that shoot differently and sound different. Both nice to shoot for their own individual characteristics. I've felt the same about Webley pistols in the past but have only a .22 Tempest now. Will add an older .177 at some stage though.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat May 04, 2013 9:55 pm

Ive just posted a wanted ad on BBS - that usually works

Fancy a late model Senior

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Sat May 04, 2013 10:16 pm

Ian:2785 wrote:Ive just posted a wanted ad on BBS - that usually works

Is that a Webley or a woman you fancy?  :wink:

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sat May 04, 2013 10:19 pm

If you really fancy a challenge try a Record Jumbo, a small pistol (also an overlever), but quite a handfull to shoot well. atb, M. :wink:
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sun May 05, 2013 10:41 am

micken:2786 wrote:

Is that a Webley or a woman you fancy?  :wink:
Ive never had any luck finding the latter on BBS so it looks as though the pistol is the best bet

Nyctophiliac

Post by Nyctophiliac » Sun May 05, 2013 11:34 am

Well, unless my buying Demon gets the better of me with a new purchase, it's a toss up between my Gamo Centre or Gamo Compact.

I'm leaning towards the Centre at the moment. The Benchrest Comp having reacquainted me with the Spring Driven Things.

Need to save up for an Original or a Feinwerkbau IMHO.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sun May 05, 2013 11:39 am

Well you cannot go wrong with either the Original or the FWB pistols. I am of course biased towards the FWB models but that is just me. The Original range are terrific too. And not getting any cheaper, no matter what you choose.
The value of the classics is rising I am afraid and some are becoming seriously expensive with some sellers asking silly money.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun May 05, 2013 11:42 am

There are a few Model 6's out there at moment around the £150 mark.

They are heavier and more cumbersome than the Feinwerkbaus though.

Despite that, an all time classic and I wouldn't be without my 6G.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Nyctophiliac

Post by Nyctophiliac » Sun May 05, 2013 2:03 pm

What do people think of the Walther LP53? I've longed after one of those for ages?

Slightly worried about the piston breaking the rear sight, though. Seems to be a bit of a design flaw.

Not worried about the cocking method, as long as its not harder than cocking my BSA Scorpion, without the extender, I'll be fine.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun May 05, 2013 2:08 pm

They are relatively easy to cock, and quite an accurate pistol.

Unfortunately, the upward moving piston seems to send a shock wave through the vertical sight adjustment screw which eventually shatter the sight.

So many people experience trouble with this that it is quite clearly a design fault.

I believe a Weihrauch HW77 rear sight can be fettled as a replacement.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sun May 05, 2013 2:32 pm

pmh:2799 wrote:There are a few Model 6's out there at moment around the £150 mark.

They are heavier and more cumbersome than the Feinwerkbaus though.

Despite that, an all time classic and I wouldn't be without my 6G.

Kind regards,

Phil
You can pick up excellent Model 5's for less than £100. These of course are recoiling but capable of good accuracy with practice. My very first pistol in 1970 was a Mod 5 - sadly no more having been destroyed in a house fire.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun May 05, 2013 2:34 pm

My Model 5 needs a re-seal, but I didn't bother as I don't really have any intention of shooting it.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sun May 05, 2013 2:36 pm

pmh:2804 wrote:They are relatively easy to cock, and quite an accurate pistol.

Unfortunately, the upward moving piston seems to send a shock wave through the vertical sight adjustment screw which eventually shatter the sight.

So many people experience trouble with this that it is quite clearly a design fault.

I believe a Weihrauch HW77 rear sight can be fettled as a replacement.

Kind regards,

Phil
I had problems achieving any level of accuracy with mine - probably needed to practice more! Good fun to shoot though and what a looker.

To my great embarrassment the rear sight self destructed a week after I sold it!

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Mon May 06, 2013 9:50 am

Nyctophiliac:2803 wrote:What do people think of the Walther LP53? I've longed after one of those for ages?

Slightly worried about the piston breaking the rear sight, though. Seems to be a bit of a design flaw.

Not worried about the cocking method, as long as its not harder than cocking my BSA Scorpion, without the extender, I'll be fine.

It is usually the rear sight retaining strap that cracks. The strap looks a bit like a snakes tongue with a split at the end over which the rear sight block snaps onto, and is presumed to be made from spring steel.

I am currently testing to see what metal the original LP53 sight retaining strap really is made from, as it may not be spring steel (!).

Once the metallurgy is completed, I will be manufacturing a small batch of these parts as I need one for one of my own LP53 pistols that has the same fault.

Making the dies to form the 3D shape after is has been cut and stamped to form the two nipples that are needed to give the elevation screw its ratchet "click" is a lot of work, and simply not worth the time and effort for a single strap to repair my own LP53.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in buying some of these straps from me.  They will be identical in shape and fit, made from the correct material and given the same authentic finish so when on the pistol they will be indistinguishable from the original - and being a lot younger they may be worth keeping as spares for future age related failures.

The amount of work and tooling to set up for this manufacture is a lot more than I thought it would be, so the straps will be expensive ( comparatively) at about £25 each - but it can be the difference between a broken LP53 of little value, and a fully functioning pistol that keeps it value and can be used and enjoyed again.

Once the tooling is completed I will keep it all for future use, but these parts are not likely to be made again for a few years as they have to be made in batches to be anything like cost effective as the heat treatment operations can cost the same for a single part or a batch of 50 or more, and the workshop disruption prevents proper revenue earning work from being done too!

But they are superb pistols, and the "unfortunate" James Bond connection continues to see the prices going up and the numbers available to the shooter reduce as the film enthusiasts want them too.

My advice is to buy one if you get the chance as prices are not likely to go down!  LP53 with broken rear sight straps fetch a lot less cash as the replacement part is not exactly easy to come by - so if this project works out OK it may help a few of us to buy some of these with defective rear sight straps at good prices!
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: I used to be a .22 man!

Post by Ian » Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 pm

If I had logged on to BBS just 20 minutes earlier I would have seen this before it went

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php ... ey-premier

Sold half an hour after posting!