I used to be a .22 man!

Postal competitions using spring, SSP, or MSP air pistols, that can be shot at home or in a club.
Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sun May 05, 2013 2:32 pm

pmh:2799 wrote:There are a few Model 6's out there at moment around the £150 mark.

They are heavier and more cumbersome than the Feinwerkbaus though.

Despite that, an all time classic and I wouldn't be without my 6G.

Kind regards,

Phil
You can pick up excellent Model 5's for less than £100. These of course are recoiling but capable of good accuracy with practice. My very first pistol in 1970 was a Mod 5 - sadly no more having been destroyed in a house fire.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun May 05, 2013 2:34 pm

My Model 5 needs a re-seal, but I didn't bother as I don't really have any intention of shooting it.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sun May 05, 2013 2:36 pm

pmh:2804 wrote:They are relatively easy to cock, and quite an accurate pistol.

Unfortunately, the upward moving piston seems to send a shock wave through the vertical sight adjustment screw which eventually shatter the sight.

So many people experience trouble with this that it is quite clearly a design fault.

I believe a Weihrauch HW77 rear sight can be fettled as a replacement.

Kind regards,

Phil
I had problems achieving any level of accuracy with mine - probably needed to practice more! Good fun to shoot though and what a looker.

To my great embarrassment the rear sight self destructed a week after I sold it!

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Mon May 06, 2013 9:50 am

Nyctophiliac:2803 wrote:What do people think of the Walther LP53? I've longed after one of those for ages?

Slightly worried about the piston breaking the rear sight, though. Seems to be a bit of a design flaw.

Not worried about the cocking method, as long as its not harder than cocking my BSA Scorpion, without the extender, I'll be fine.

It is usually the rear sight retaining strap that cracks. The strap looks a bit like a snakes tongue with a split at the end over which the rear sight block snaps onto, and is presumed to be made from spring steel.

I am currently testing to see what metal the original LP53 sight retaining strap really is made from, as it may not be spring steel (!).

Once the metallurgy is completed, I will be manufacturing a small batch of these parts as I need one for one of my own LP53 pistols that has the same fault.

Making the dies to form the 3D shape after is has been cut and stamped to form the two nipples that are needed to give the elevation screw its ratchet "click" is a lot of work, and simply not worth the time and effort for a single strap to repair my own LP53.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in buying some of these straps from me.  They will be identical in shape and fit, made from the correct material and given the same authentic finish so when on the pistol they will be indistinguishable from the original - and being a lot younger they may be worth keeping as spares for future age related failures.

The amount of work and tooling to set up for this manufacture is a lot more than I thought it would be, so the straps will be expensive ( comparatively) at about £25 each - but it can be the difference between a broken LP53 of little value, and a fully functioning pistol that keeps it value and can be used and enjoyed again.

Once the tooling is completed I will keep it all for future use, but these parts are not likely to be made again for a few years as they have to be made in batches to be anything like cost effective as the heat treatment operations can cost the same for a single part or a batch of 50 or more, and the workshop disruption prevents proper revenue earning work from being done too!

But they are superb pistols, and the "unfortunate" James Bond connection continues to see the prices going up and the numbers available to the shooter reduce as the film enthusiasts want them too.

My advice is to buy one if you get the chance as prices are not likely to go down!  LP53 with broken rear sight straps fetch a lot less cash as the replacement part is not exactly easy to come by - so if this project works out OK it may help a few of us to buy some of these with defective rear sight straps at good prices!
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: I used to be a .22 man!

Post by Ian » Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 pm

If I had logged on to BBS just 20 minutes earlier I would have seen this before it went

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php ... ey-premier

Sold half an hour after posting!

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Wed May 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Ian wrote:If I had logged on to BBS just 20 minutes earlier I would have seen this before it went

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php ... ey-premier

Sold half an hour after posting!
Perhaps you need to widen your search parameters beyond the Wobbly Webleys, plenty of springers out there,M. :wink: :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed May 08, 2013 10:41 pm

I have a Falcon that is almost "as new" - in superb condition, and I used it to gain the RMTC highest score one month in the 10metre MPL.

NOW SOLD TO AN RMTC MEMBER,

This would be a far superior target pistol to any Webley, and the underlever action is nice to use........and will cost less than a nice Wobbley too!

You could ask Phil to give it an independent check-over for you if you like - but it is faultless and would be ideal for you to use in the 6 yard MPL comp.
Last edited by zooma on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed May 08, 2013 10:50 pm

I have to say that the Gamo Falcon is a superb gun, and I really do like mine.

I recently swapped over to the Baikal MP-53M, but am considering my options for the 6 yard.

So far I have narrowed it down to my Original Model 6G of my Weihrauch HW40.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Wed May 08, 2013 11:48 pm

I am considering using my FAS - going to think about it a little more :study:
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

zooma

Post by zooma » Thu May 09, 2013 12:13 am

Tank wrote:I am considering using my FAS - going to think about it a little more :study:

..............overkill.....................................

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Thu May 09, 2013 12:39 am

zooma wrote:
Tank wrote:I am considering using my FAS - going to think about it a little more :study:

..............overkill.....................................
<sigh>

i know......................
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

zooma

Re:

Post by zooma » Thu May 09, 2013 8:21 am

Nyctophiliac wrote:What do people think of the Walther LP53? I've longed after one of those for ages?

Slightly worried about the piston breaking the rear sight, though. Seems to be a bit of a design flaw.

Not worried about the cocking method, as long as its not harder than cocking my BSA Scorpion, without the extender, I'll be fine.

I am making a batch of replacement rear sight holding straps so we can keep these magnificent 007 pistols running for many more years yet.

It is this spring steel sight retaining strap that usually fractures, so I hope this will solve the problem for most - and allow some of us to pick up some cheap LP53 pistols that have this part broken and are therefore sold of cheap !

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Thu May 09, 2013 2:08 pm

I might have sorted out a Mk1 Premier - should know tomorrow

Fingers crossed.........

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu May 09, 2013 5:54 pm

As part of the scoring, I intend to produce a list of pistols and pellets used, not saying by whom though, which should make interesting statistics.

It would be good to have as many variations as possible.

If enough shooters take part, then there may be a possibility to split the comp into categories, Spring, SSP, etc, which will allow shooters to enter each category.

This will, of course, be discussed as the comp progresses.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zooma

Post by zooma » Thu May 09, 2013 7:04 pm

NARPA ran a 6 yard postal series for years that included all of the pistols we now call "classics" - and they never attempted to separate the types, and I don't think we should either.

Who is to say that an SSP is better or worse than an FWB or Giss recoilless, and what about those of us that will enjoy using a different pistol as often as possible during the series?

Come to think about it - NARPA even included CO2 in their series - but we have isolated them in their own separate 6 yard series as a spin-off of the CCL.

Don't tinker with the MPL basic rules I say - if it ain't broke - don't fix it !

.........but it would be good to know what pistols and pellets were being used - I do like that idea very much!
Last edited by zooma on Thu May 09, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.