6 Yard MPL Postal Competition - Season 1 Entrants

Postal competitions using spring, SSP, or MSP air pistols, that can be shot at home or in a club.
pmh
Site Admin
Re: 6 Yard MPL Postal Competition - Season 1 Entrants

Post by pmh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:21 pm

Now up to 25 entrants.

I didn't think it would be this popular.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Nyctophiliac

Post by Nyctophiliac » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:40 pm

Just sent in my round 2 scores.

Seemed to do a little better, but still in no danger of bothering those at the top of the scale!

I think I'll be in my own group - see if I can improve with every round.

I need to work on my concentration, the best cards are numbers 1-3 then Iose it for 4 and 5 before shooting a good card at the end.

Plus I missed the target totally this time!!!! Although I did get an all black round so I'm quite happy with this.

Can't wait to see the results.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:42 pm

The 6 yard competition is a very interesting one, in that people who struggle with 10m think they will dramatically improve at 6 yards.

The reality seems to be that whatever shooters tend to score at 10m, then they also score at 6 yards.

I know my scores are actually down on the 6 yards, when compared with 10m.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Nyctophiliac

Post by Nyctophiliac » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:35 am

I have never shot at ten yards, but I am surprised that I should be able to expect the same (ish) score as at six yards.

Both single handed?

I must see how far my garage is end to end, I might be able to squeeze 9 and a bit yards out of it!

Might try to shoot round 3 this weekend.

Try out my new methods of concentration for all targets. Not sure if I can wear a tutu and heels at the final though ;-)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Single handed only, as are all proper competitions.

All abilities are welcome, and the division system will give everybody a chance.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Nyctophiliac

Post by Nyctophiliac » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:20 pm

It's strange how things turn out.

As I send in my fourth round scores, my average seems to be going down, not in the other "up" direction. So I seem to be getting worse with practise.

So I resign myself to have already had my best score, barring miracles, and try to be delighted that I am, at least, reasonably consistant.

But I must say, getting out the old Walther and pelting several types of hell out of my target holder is still fun of the most wonderful kind. Win, lose or draw.

I am in awe of some of the top scores in this comp. I must tip my hat to those getting 60+ points more than I ever can with the same gun. I look forward to the live final, to see how nerves affect everyone's aim and tally.

Bring on November. The Autumn nights are drawing in. Keep your pellets dry.

Good luck one and all.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Try a follow through hold and a target grip (letting go with the thumb and little finger).

This may help with your score.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Interesting time at the range today, I'd set myself some tasks since I'm shooting a lot of informal and some regional comps. Back in February I had a really bad experience with vertigo that was due to labyrinthitis. It's left me a little jittery when shooting, particularly when looking through telescopic sights or diopters. I tend to be a little better with open sights, i.e. when shooting pistol. I think it's to do with peripheral vision and balance.

Anyways, my sporting air rifle performance has suffered since I'm tending to pull shots down and right, some others go all over the place too. Today I re-zeroed my springer and pcp to allow for this, used ear defenders to block out noise (couldn't get rid of the tinnitus though!) and really concentrated on follow through (ooh er missus!). It actually made a big difference, the range is open and next to Leeds ring-road so I managed to get rid of that as a distraction.

I found that I could really concentrate on sight picture, holding steady and trigger feel. My scores were better than average and my MPL cards showed consistent improvement through the six in the series.

Really worth having a session with some goals in mind.

All the best,

Mick

Thirdwheel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Thirdwheel » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Tried out and researched the grip, the way to stand and pull the trigger - what a difference a bit of advice makes, practiced the follow through too. I'm really enjoying the focus and the learning process. My next goal is to work out how to tell my wife what I've been up to on the quiet!!!!!!!!!

thirdwheel

Nyctophiliac

Post by Nyctophiliac » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:32 pm

pmh wrote:Try a follow through hold and a target grip (letting go with the thumb and little finger).

This may help with your score.

Kind regards,

Phil
Just sent in my Fifth Round Scores - they are significantly better than my previous four rounds. Thank you Phil for your advice that, coupled with a bit of research and reading, has made me a better shooter (Until I forget it all, no doubt).

I don't think I'll topple the leaders off their lofty mounts but at least I am going in the right direction now.

Are we still having any kind of live Final? Or keeping it at home for Round Six?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:44 pm

The suggestion of "Live" finals is over and above the competition, so supers should carry on as normal and shoot all 6 rounds.

I am currently in discussions to see if we can turn the live shot into a bit of an open day.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH