Advice on my acquiring my first target pistol.

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
dnic
Advice on my acquiring my first target pistol.

Post by dnic » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:42 am

Hello,

Joined yesterday. Spent most of the evening into the wee hours reading and trying to absorb as much information as my poor old brain can handle.

As per my introduction to the site, I am getting into the pistol side of shooting. I am looking to purchase a pistol that will cover me for 10m and HFT pistol disciplines. I appreciate that one size does not fit all, however I have a budget of £200 in my piggy bank, for my first pistol. Well cared for used is fine with me.

I have a divers bottle and connectors etc, so a PCP wouldn't be out of the question, not sure I would like to go the co2 route. Any advice or pointing me in the right direction will be gratefully received.

My initial thoughts are,

Gamo compact-reasonable cost, appear to be well liked and easy to maintain.
FAS 604- at the top end of my budget,underrated according to members, not sure of ongoing maint costs.

Thank you for reading this.

David

savantguarde

Re: Advice on my acquiring my first target pistol.

Post by savantguarde » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum!

You've been doing your reading and isolated a couple of fine pistols there! PCP is out of your price range really at £200. You could have a fine Co2 Pistol for that price but if you dont want to go down that route you are limited to SSP. I know C02 seems like a pain, but there are some options that take the handy caplets for about the £200 mark:
http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php ... light=proj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I had the money I would be tempted by this one myself!
Also there is the Daisy 717 as a fine starter Target pistol (not just cos I am selling mine.....*cough* :) )

Any of the pistols you mention will outshoot you.

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Post by kj68 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi David I have a tuned Gamo Compact and its really accurate at 10m pistol shooting, but if you want to use it in hft disciplines you need something you can put a sight or scope on like a HW40 or a Webley Alecto. What ever you get enjoy shooting.
atb kj68 :)
Happy Shooting

dnic

Post by dnic » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:46 pm

savantguarde wrote:Hi David,

Welcome to the forum!

You've been doing your reading and isolated a couple of fine pistols there! PCP is out of your price range really at £200. You could have a fine Co2 Pistol for that price but if you dont want to go down that route you are limited to SSP. I know C02 seems like a pain, but there are some options that take the handy caplets for about the £200 mark:
http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php ... light=proj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I had the money I would be tempted by this one myself!
Also there is the Daisy 717 as a fine starter Target pistol (not just cos I am selling mine.....*cough* :) )

Any of the pistols you mention will outshoot you.
Savantguarde,

Thank you for the reply and your thoughts, they are appreciated.

I have sent you a PM "wink" :D

David

dnic

Post by dnic » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:55 pm

kj68 wrote:Hi David I have a tuned Gamo Compact and its really accurate at 10m pistol shooting, but if you want to use it in hft disciplines you need something you can put a sight or scope on like a HW40 or a Webley Alecto. What ever you get enjoy shooting.
kj68

Thank you for the reply, I have a Brocock AimX .22 with a holographic aiming device. I will be selling it soon to put the money towards buying a HFT pistol combination.
Not to sure about the Alecto, I am sure it will outshoot my capabilities, however I think something along more traditional lines would appeal to me.

David

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:51 pm

The Daisy should keep you going for the time being.

I still use my Gamo Compact, and it continues to perform well.

If you want a cheap introduction gun, though a still capable one, that has the lines and feel of a target pistol then you can't go far wrong with the compact.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Post by kj68 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:32 am

I will admit my pistol of choice and by far my favourite is my Gamo Compact, its never faultered and she, s just mint to shoot. You will be impressed with the Daisy.
Happy Shooting

dnic

Post by dnic » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:35 pm

Well the pistol bug has hit me hard, nearly spent all of my piggy bank already :D

Bought the Daisy 717 off savantguarde :dance:

Just concluded a deal on a very nice looking Gamo Compact pick up next Teusday :D

Now I will have to sell my Brocock and a S&W 6" pistol 4weeks old,an impulse buy :? to fund my HFT rig.

David

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Post by kj68 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi David yr doing well a Daisy 717 and a Gamo Compact, both excellent pistols just enjoy shooting them mate.
Happy Shooting