BSA 240 Magnum

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
BSA 240 Magnum

Post by Certus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:52 pm

Hello,

I recently acquired an almost unused, boxed BSA 240 Magnum .22 air pistol and have been pleasantly surprised at both the build quality and accuracy of the pistol. The BSA 240 Magnum sits higher in the hand than say a Webley Tempest thus tending to amplify the muzzle lift upon firing, but nothing too excessive. it still feels nice to hold and has a comparable trigger weight and pull quality to the Webley pistols I normally shoot. I am aware of criticisms from other owners of the apparently less than comfortable grip, but have found it fits my hand quite well. The cutaway on the left side of the grip is filled by my thumb and the cutaway on the right side allows the first pad of my trigger finger to fall almost perfectly at rightangles to the trigger blade.

I have also found it easier to cock than expected and am impressed with the relative sophistication of the sights. In terms of accuracy, I would say it's at least up to the level of the Tempest and may even be a bit better once I get a bit more used to using it. Once again, I have found the RWS Hobby to be a good choice of pellet giving reasonable accuracy and cutting nice clean holes in the paper. I intend to put it through the chrono soon to see just how close it comes to the 6ft/lbs limit which may help justify its magnum status.

The pistol came with its original Owners Manual and an Air Weapons Final Inspection Certificate dating it to April 1995. What's interesting, is that the certificate has been stamped endorsing satisfactory accuracy with 5 shots at 25 yds. As BSA predominately produce air rifles and these certificates seem to contain checks more relevant to rifles than pistols, I doubt the pistol was ever tested at 25 yds.

I believe BSA had planned a more powerful version of the 240 Magnum and in fact produced a few prototypes without actually marketing the pistol. That would account for the provision for a longer frame in the polystyrene packaging and possibly the "UK Specification" reference on the box label.

So,first impressions are good and I look forward to more testing and comparisons using the Webley Tempest as a control.

Regards

Brian

pmh
Site Admin

Re: BSA 240 Magnum

Post by pmh » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:31 pm

Glad you like it.

Unfortunately, guns like the 240 are very much marmite guns when it comes to appearance, and many a capable gun had been overlooked due to its styling.

Shame really, but I must admit to dismissing the 240, in the past, just because of its appearance.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<