FAS 6004 - arrival imminent.

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
micken
Marksman
Marksman
Re: FAS 6004 - arrival imminent.

Post by micken » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi lads, the original FAS 604 elevation screw is 3mm fine, I know this because the billet aluminium thread has been stripped on one of my 604's. I'm planning to re-tap this to either 3.5mm or 4mm fine and make a new screw. If the 6004 is only 2mm thread then this could be tapped out to 3mm and take a 604 screw.

Interesting that these pistols have been used for years already and as far as I'm aware this has not cropped up as a common fault.

Cheers,

Mick

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Again, perhaps my example was a rouge :( but 3mm does sound better but even that stripped on one of Mickens 604s so ............ :think:

The problem I saw with tapping out the adjuster hole was that the spring detent was next to the tapped hole so there wasn't enough meat :doh: unless you lost the detent.
Sec/founder Rivington Riflemen. www.rivington-riflemen.eu

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:28 am

There is more than enough meat there Ian and frankly, if it is stripped a Helicoil would be the best answer. For instance, a 3mm Helicoil in aluminium is far stronger than a 3.5mm thread in the same aluminium, so there is another alternative solution Mick.

Just FYI Ian my group was around the Five ring about nine o'clock on the target so I needed no elevation adjustment just windage. Which I didn't do as the gun was not mine. I will have an opportunity to have a bit closer look tomorrow.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:19 am

Yes, I'd wondered about helicoiling it. I'll look into this and see what's available.

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:26 pm

The middle hole (top) is the one thats stripped. :roll: The two holes either side of it are for small springs. The pellet is just for size comparison.

The retailer has been in contact (several times :doh: ) with the manufacturer today trying to explain the situation. No luck as yet. :pray: I will keep you informed. :D

I dont consider myself to be heavy handed. Ive worked on dozens of Jap bikes from the 70s and 80s and their case fasteners are well known for stripping. O.K. so Ive mangled a few removing them with the impact driver, chisel etc :doh: but I cant remember over stripping any by over tightening. :naughty: Its called mechanical sympathy. :shifty:

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:57 pm

I see that they've used the pressed steel rear sight blade on the 6004 then. Some interesting mechanics going on with that, you are wise to have mechanical sympathy with it. If you get a chance to have a look at a few other 604's or 6004's even, see if the sight blade has impacted on the rear of the grips and let us know.

Cheers,

Mick
Last edited by micken on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:47 pm

One of our club members has a 604. I will ask to have a close examination of that. :roll:

I dont mind the press steel rear sight even though, in my case, there wasnt enough adjustment. IF I decided to keep this pistol I will make a taller front sight blade.
What worries me is if FAS consider a 2mm hole in 'billet aluminium' as suitable engineering :doh: what do they consider suitable material for the trigger sears? :think:

magicniner

Post by magicniner » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:15 am

An M3 Stainless Helicoil loktited in place would provide a permanent engineering fix where there are any concerns about wear or load capability of an M3 thread in alloy parts, it's common in industry to use helicoils in OEM parts to spread load & reduce wear,
Regards,
Nick
Fast, Cheap, Good.
Pick only 2 of the above.

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:28 pm

Thanks Nick, I'll be sorting this when I get back from holidays and what you've suggested is my preferred method.

Mick

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:14 pm

I dont think a 3mm helicoil insert will help me. :snooty:

Im still awaiting a reply from the manufacturers. :roll:

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Nice comparison shot there, showing what looks like a significantly longer stroke on the FAS. What is the power on the new FAS? I recall the old one being about the same as the HW75/HW40.

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:21 pm

Im sorry ADAM77K but I cant help you with your query re the power. Mines gone back to the importers via the retailers. :doh: I hope to receive either another make of pistol or a credit note. I certainly DONT want another FAS6004. :hand: I.M.O. the engineering with regards to the back sight just isn't up to standards. God knows what material the sears are made out of. :think: I shot approx 100 through mine before trying to adjust the back sight (gently :roll: ) stripped the 2mm steel thread in alloy. :naughty:

HTH
Ian :D

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:49 pm

Sorry to hear that Ian. It's a shame that the good news of a really good pistol (the 604) effectively getting a new lease of life, has been spoiled somewhat.

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:57 pm

I had eagerly awaited the arrival the arrival of the new FAS6004 for the past few months. Initial impressions were very good after I had taken a bit of creep out of the trigger with good groupings and a score of 47 ex 50 within the first ten cards :dance: but the point of impact over 10m was too high for me :think: so I decided to adjust the back sight down to its lowest setting. It was while doing this using a 5p piece and just finger and thumb pressure the 2mm steel adjuster stripped the alloy thread! Perhaps I just had a bad example but 2mm steel threaded rod into alloy? :doh: :naughty: I dont think so. :snooty:

ATB
Ian :D

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:32 pm

Update: My local friendly retailer :dance: got in contact with the importers with regards to my pistol. They wanted the whole top assembly back (the alloy one which the sight adjusting screw fits into). I had no confidence in this class of engineering (2mm steel thread into alloy :naughty: :hand: ) and not knowing what material the trigger sears were made of :think: so I decided to exchange the FAS for a second hand s.s.p FWB100. The build quality is miles apart, although, to be honest Ive not heard of any other FAS/sight problems todate.