Benjamin 422 Semi-Auto Co2 Pistol

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
Benjamin 422 Semi-Auto Co2 Pistol

Post by Certus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Hello,

Although primarily a spring air pistol enthusiast, I added a Crosman 600 semi-auto Co2 pistol to my collection about a year ago and haven’t been able to put it down since. If it’s sheer fun rather than anything more serious you want, this pistol certainly ticks all the boxes.

A little research revealed that Benjamin also attempted to provide some competition for the 600 with their own semi-automatic .22, CO2 pistol designated the model 422 which was produced for a very short time (1969-1973). There was a very good reason for this short production period as the pistol has often been described as a “warranty nightmare” by those who are know a lot more about these things than me. The 422 was apparently prone to miss feeds and burst fire consequently making it a bit of a failure as a reliable semi-auto.

I have always been a sucker for quirky pistols though and finally weakened sufficiently to buy a nice example (pictured below) at the last Bisley, Phoenix meeting. I entered into this with my eyes wide open and consequently went for a boxed pistol complete with original accessories as it was likely to end up more as a static collectable rather than a regular shooter.

For those unfamiliar with this design, the 422 uses an 8 grm CO2 capsule which is inserted and pierced from the front using the cylinder cap just like the first model Crosman 600. Things get a little bit weird from here on though as once the cocking lever is pulled back, a spring assisted magazine follower situated on the right side of the frame is pulled back and rested on the end cap. Up to 10 pellets can now be inserted into the magazine which is directly behind and in-line with the barrel before carefully resting the follower behind the pellets. Looking through the unloaded magazine / barrel, you can just make out the 3 O rings which hold the pellets in place until each is released with subsequent operations of the trigger.The pistol is fitted with a trigger safety which should obviously be applied during the above procedure and also uses the cocking lever as a hammer safety when placed in the detent at the rear of its slot.

To give the pistol the best chance of success, I initially used 15 of the original Benjamin HC pellets which were cleaned to remove the oxidisation and lubricated. I then acquired some Milbro Caledonian and Marksman No2 pellets which I was told might also stand a chance of feeding correctly.
I decided to load just 5 pellets each time thus avoiding the temptation to empty the magazine too quickly. Much to my surprise, all of the Benjamin pellets exited the barrel individually and grouped to within 2 “ at 10 metres even when fired rapidly. More pleasingly, both alternative brands also cycled faultlessly and grouped in a similar position to the HCs. Finally, I put a number of shots through the Chrono which recorded an average muzzle velocity of 343 ft/sec and consequent muzzle energy of 3.6 ft’/lbs with a 14 grn pellet.

I don’t expect this sort of reliability to continue once the O rings start to wear, but as the pistol won’t be used as often as the Crosman 600, this shouldn’t really present too much of a problem. I must admit that I personally find the 422 a cooler looking pistol than the 600, but as far as reliability is concerned, only time will tell.

Regards

Brian

johnbaz
Plinker
Plinker

Re: Benjamin 422 Semi-Auto Co2 Pistol

Post by johnbaz » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:41 pm

Wow!!

Never heard of that before!! Have to say though, It's the 'ugly sister' as far as semi auto's go!!! :)

Nice to learn something new :clap:

John :dance:

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:34 pm

Another wow the 442 i never came across, for me its different rather than an ugly duckling, mike. :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:51 pm

zunmik wrote:Another wow the 442 i never came across, for me its different rather than an ugly duckling, mike. :)
Hi Mike,

I actually prefer the appearance of the Benjamin 422 to the Crosman 600 which always reminds me a bit of the toy space ray gun or water pistol toys I had as a kid. The Crosman is however a far superior and much more reliable design. I would imagine the best way to enjoy these rapid fire pistols would be against tin cans, but as I only use an indoor range, I have found 3" Shoot'N'See targets are the next best thing. Like most semi-auto pistols, it's best to load just 5 pellets rather than the maximum 10. Seeing the yellow gradually appear in the centre as you empty the pistol as quickly as possible is a really satisfying experience.

Regards

Brian

johnbaz
Plinker
Plinker

Post by johnbaz » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:14 pm

zunmik wrote:Another wow the 442 i never came across, for me its different rather than an ugly duckling, mike. :)

I think you're right Mike, I want one now!!! :lol: :lol:

The style is really growing on me!!!

John :P

Flatrajectory

Post by Flatrajectory » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:09 pm

I regret selling mine, a lovey thing it was. I found that Eley Wasps functioned flawlessly in it too, at least until the O rings wore out ( well it was 40 odd years old ).
I managed to find a good replacement set of O rings for it ,in viton, and normal service was resumed.
The method of using O rings to hold the pellets in a queue for firing is very simple and will work as long as you use the pellet it was designed for, or ones very close to original dimensions.
Also, do not fill the breech to maximum .... I found 7 pellets to work well.
Sadly these pistols are quite rare, even in America, so do not expect to find one any time soon.
The only negative aspect of the in line pellet feed system is that there is some slight gas blowby which blows in your face, so always wear protective specs.
Pete.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Alas, Eley Wasps are now selling as plain "Wasp", as I believe the quality has gone so bad Eley no longer want to be associated with them.

I can't comment myself, as I haven't tried them, but would welcome comment from somebody who has.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:19 pm

Flatrajectory wrote:I regret selling mine, a lovey thing it was. I found that Eley Wasps functioned flawlessly in it too, at least until the O rings wore out ( well it was 40 odd years old ).
I managed to find a good replacement set of O rings for it ,in viton, and normal service was resumed.
The method of using O rings to hold the pellets in a queue for firing is very simple and will work as long as you use the pellet it was designed for, or ones very close to original dimensions.
Also, do not fill the breech to maximum .... I found 7 pellets to work well.
Sadly these pistols are quite rare, even in America, so do not expect to find one any time soon.
The only negative aspect of the in line pellet feed system is that there is some slight gas blowby which blows in your face, so always wear protective specs.
Pete.
Hi Pete,

The Benjamin 422 is still performing well and seems to prefer Marksman No2 pellets although Milbro Caledonian will also feed reliably.

As you suggest, these semi-auto pistols seem to work better when the magazine is not loaded to full capacity. The Crosman 600 is definitely a more sophisticated design, but is still prone to the the occasional jam during rapid fire.

The wearing of shooting glasses is certainly recommended when shooting either of these pistols, but I can't say I have ever experienced the slight blowback you describe when shooting the pistol. The design would certainly lead you to expect something like that and possibly my single handed, precision shooting stance makes it less likely due to a the greater distance of the breech from my face.

Regards

Brian ( BBS Abasmajor)

Flatrajectory

Post by Flatrajectory » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:37 am

Hello Brian,
Yes, you could be right regarding the single handed shooting stance. I only ever shoot handguns using the two handed 'Weaver' stance, ( coming from practical pistol background), which does ,as you say, put the pistol closer to the shooter's face. Also, there may have been some wear evident in both the pellet channel and the follower rod in the example I owned ,thus exacurbating the blow by problem.
A very interesting pistol all the same and well worth seeking one out.
atb,
Pete.

gingernut
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gingernut » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:20 pm

My Benjamin SuperRocket is leaking and is proving a a b*gger to fix!
Liquid polyurethane has been mentioned!

Flatrajectory

Post by Flatrajectory » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi Patrick,
From memory the super rocket has a soldered in valve unit ( same as my Benjy 352 ), and was a beggar for a slow leak.
The problem was a worn valve seat.....that is the brass seat that the polyurethane valve seal sits upon ...and because the valve body is soldered into the tube it was all but impossible to fix. In the end I de soldered it and fitted a modified qb 78 valve unit which cured the problem. Ask Baz to take a good look at the valve seat if he can see down the tube that far.

Pete.

gingernut
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gingernut » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks Pete I will pass it on.
Lawrie couldn't get at it and has one of his own with the same problem.
Baz will have a go.
Consoled myself with a Crosman 150 Medalist.
Much better pistol and shiny!
No pretty box tho!
Regards

Flatrajectory

Post by Flatrajectory » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:20 pm

I prefer pistols to boxes myself... :mrgreen:

regards,
Pete.

gingernut
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gingernut » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:59 pm

Now fixed by friend Baz.
Involved a purchase from a fishing tackle shop!

Flatrajectory

Post by Flatrajectory » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:36 pm

Oh go on Patrick, do tell us.........what was it Baz purchased from a fishing tackle shop that fixed your toy....?????

Pete.