An interesting anomaly - a smoothbore Crosman 150.

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman
An interesting anomaly - a smoothbore Crosman 150.

Post by Leonardj » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:57 pm

Yes indeed, the bore of this "Dunnville oddity" variant, Crosman 150, is as smooth and shiny as a mirror - which made it very difficult to try to get a proper picture of the bore. I have seen, and worked on, a great many Crosman 150 pistols over the past 40 or more years, but have never before encountered one with a smoothbore barrel.

I have been unable to find any mention of a smoothbore Crosman 150 in any of my reference materials, or Crosman advertising literature, so I am inclined to think that somehow this barrel missed the rifling process, and any subsequent inspection process, as the barrel was completed and mounted to the gun.

pmh
Site Admin

Re: An interesting anomaly - a smoothbore Crosman 150.

Post by pmh » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:24 pm

Another very interesting variation.

Not really in a position to offer any explanation.

I do recall some cheaper smooth bore pistols were advertised as being able to shoot darts, though I am not sure this world led be the case here.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Flatrajectory

Re: An interesting anomaly - a smoothbore Crosman 150.

Post by Flatrajectory » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:59 pm

I have come across several smooth bore Crosmans in my life ( I still own one). The rifles I have owned were not supposed to be smooth bored. I believe this is caused by loose tolerances at manufacture and therefore the rifling 'button' has not touched the walls of the bore.
Sloppy q.c. at Crosman during the 70 ' s is a known factor.

Pete.