A Newbie's dream pistol list to acquire

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
45flint
Plinker
Plinker
Re: A Newbie's dream pistol list to acquire

Post by 45flint » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:45 pm

Certus wrote:
45flint wrote:Awesome! I think you guys on that side of the Atlantic have a better shot at getting these collectables. I was looking at the Hubertus as well. The US was dominated by cheap pump pistols and air guns were for kids.
I guess U.S designed air pistols were made in far greater numbers than those originating from the U.K. so we don't have too much trouble finding some of the more interesting ones. I have a small collection of Crosman and Benjamin pistols which I enjoy shooting, especially the Crosman 150 which is a pleasure to shoot.

Maybe you could post some pictures of your Walther LP53 which is also a much sought after air pistol in the U.K.

Regards
Brian
Look at posting about 4 down from this I posted on the new to me LP53. See the accessory section where I made a custom case. Went nuts with that one. Lol

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:13 am

45flint wrote:Another reason I would like to collect the Haenel 28 is that it was the only air pistol designed by Hugo Schmisser who was a German firearms designer of considerable note. He designed the STG 44, the first assault rifle. He was captured by the Russians and was taken to Russia. Many think he was the real brains behind the AK47.
Actually Hugo Schmeisser was far more inventive than that when it came to air pistols, and between 1925 an 1941 he took out 11 airgun patents in Germany, many of which concerned air pistols. In fact he was the main driving force behind all of Haenel's pre-War range of air pistols. Additional to the Haenel 28, hewas responsible for developing the almost mythical precursor Haenel 27, the Haenel 28R (repeater version of the 28), the Haenel 26, and the Haenels 50, 51 and 100. However, of these only the 27, 28 and 28R would satisfy the criteria you are looking for. No example of the 27 is yet known. There is a very small number of factory modified Haenel 28's with extended barrels, but the chances of finding one are slimmer than finding a mint boxed Tell 3.

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:48 pm

Well, my list is now shorter, just bought a Hy-Score 800 looks like new in the box. Probably a very early 1950s. Arrives tomorrow. It was certainly the most obtainable gun on my list and not very expensive. But it was the only Anerican Spring pistol design and is very unique. Be interested in how it is in the flesh. Two down.

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Post by Leonardj » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:19 am

45flint wrote:it was the only American Spring pistol design and is very unique.
Not so - there were the Ranco/Targ-Aire pistols, and the Crosman V300 pistol. Both of these used the backstrap of the grip as the cocking lever.
Also the Harris Marksman pistol, and the Healthways Top Score 175.

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:45 pm

Very good! Looked all of them up, think the Hy-Score is the only one I care to own. The article I read said it was the only adult spring pistol made in America? Either a comment of quality of the others or he was just wrong.
Last edited by 45flint on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:27 am

Hy-score came today. Amazing condition, it always gives me a kick to take a 65 year old gun out and have it be like you just bought it new. Chronied at 400 fps. Most surprised as to how quiet it is and fine quality of the bluing. It was so quiet I thought it wasn't really pumping it out till I got the Chronograph out. Pics after I put it through it paces.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:33 pm

Hi,

Look forward to seeing the photos of your new acquisition. We are a bit spoiled for choice when it comes to classic spring air pistols here in the UK, but the Hyscore is undoubtedly a fine example of the breed. As with the Haenal 28, I find it a little awkward to cock, but I particularly like the 'dry fire' facility which is unique for a spring powered pistol as far as I'm aware.

Regards

Brian

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Wed May 25, 2016 12:52 pm

Well, another down just acquired a Haenel 28, looks from pics almost new in the box. It's in the mail. Was waiting for one in excellent shape to match my Walther 53 and Hy-Score 800. Hopefully it as nice when it gets in my hands. Now I'm down to a older blued Webley (I have a Hurricane) and a Tell 3. Since the chances of a Tell 3 are probably nonexistent, I will add a Haenel 28R to the list.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Thu May 26, 2016 12:10 pm

45flint wrote:Well, another down just acquired a Haenel 28, looks from pics almost new in the box. It's in the mail. Was waiting for one in excellent shape to match my Walther 53 and Hy-Score 800. Hopefully it as nice when it gets in my hands. Now I'm down to nde pura older blued Webley (I have a Hurricane) and a Tell 3. Since the chances of a Tell 3 are probably nonexistent, I will add a Haenel 28R to the list.
Hi,

I guess we all have slightly different preferences, but I would not personally be too upset at missing out on the Tell 3.

Based on build quality, appearance and ability to perform their originally intended purpose, I would rate my top five spring powered air pistols as follows:

1. Pre-war 'Slant Grip ' Webley Senior.

2. Pre-war 'Straight Grip' Webley Senior.

3. Abas Major.

4. Accles & Shelvoke Warrior.

5. Haenal 28.

Although I own and shoot a few much rarer and consequently more expensive pistols such as the Tell 3 none of them would make it into my top five based on the above criteria.

Regards

Brian

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Sat May 28, 2016 3:03 am

Brian, awesome collection. My reason for lusting after the Tell 3 is not really shooting ability, power, it is the blued machined quality build and looking like a modern firearm. The Walther LP53 looks like a 22 pistol because the spring is in the grip. The Hy-Score a firearm look. The Haenel is certainly Luger like but the extension for the spring gives it a bit of airgun look. I know from reading the Haenel is going to be a underpowered wimp. I got it in 22, lol, maybe 200 fps. But I expect a well machined beauty, and designed by Hugo Schmeisser, pretty cool. Well I hope so it arrived today but I am out of town.

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Sat May 28, 2016 12:33 pm

Abas Major is very interesting gun. Doubt any made it to the US, so few made. Hy-score may have gone to school on it. Full length barrel through piston, rear loading. Have you ever tested the speed?

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sat May 28, 2016 1:09 pm

Hello,

The ABAS Major exhibits similar muzzle velocities to the larger Webley pistols around 390 ft/sec with a 7.6 grn pellet, so about 2.8 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. I like it for its unusual, underllever cocking method and tap loading system. The ABAS is one of only three air pistols I know of that use a tap loader the others being the Certus (picture below) and a variant of the ultra rare Lincoln Jeffries pistol.

I know what you mean about desiring to own some pistols which may not be the greatest in all departments, but have a sort of enigmatic appeal.

The pistols pictured below fall into that category for me. The Parker at the top must have been one of the most inelegant designs ever, but its intricate cocking system adds to the intrigue. The Certus doesn't look the prettiest design either, but its overlever cocking direction which is opposite to the Webley and self opening tap system make it an interesting design. Finally, the Westley Richards Highest Possible at the bottom which was the first commercially produced British spring pistol patented in 1911 and produced up to the start of WW1. I just love the appearance of this pistol which reminds me of the large Victorian Service revolvers popular at the time.

Regards

Brian

{url=http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/Abasm ... a.jpg.html]Image[/url]

A.G. Parker Wind-Up Pistol.

Cogswell & Harrison Certus.

Westley Richards Highest Possible.