Predom Lucznic

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Jeff
Predom Lucznic

Post by Jeff » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:42 am

I have a very nice Predom Lucznic and would like some advice as to its correct name. Various on line posts state that the correct name is either "Lucznic" and made in the Radom factory (a member of the Predom group of companies) or Type 170. Both names have me bemused. The former since there is no mention of the Redom connection. The latter since the gun has markings "wz. 1970" . I assume the "wz." is short for wzor meaning model and if this is so then why is the gun not known as a Model 1970? Any clarification is welcome.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Predom Lucznic

Post by Certus » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:43 pm

Hi Jeff,

The following information is taken from The Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols ( John Griffiths) which is the recognised bible for spring powered air pistol reference.

Very little is on record about the manufacture of this air pistol, but it was certainly made by the Zaklady Metalowe Predom- Lucznik company based in Radom, Poland. This was the name used in the 1970s for the former Polish State weapons factory in Radom, the name literally meaning "The Predom-Lucznik Metal Works". The company also made typewriters under the Predom- Lucznik name. The Radom company began as a privately owned gun making company Fabryka Broni in Radom (literally the "The Radom Arms Factory) in the 1920s, and following a government decision to place contracts for the Polish Army with private companies, it was able to raise enough capital to embark on large scale military weapons in 1927. The brand name Lucznik was introduced for their products in 1929 and was used right up until the outbreak of WW2. After the war, in 1945 the company was restructured and renamed "Zaklady Metalowe General Walter " General Walter was a pseudonym of Karol Swierezewski, a now much rviled figure in the Polish Army during the war, who became Polish Defence Minister in 1946. By 1960 the brand name Lucznik had been resurrected with for example introduction of the Lucznik P64 assault pistol and PM-63 machine pistol. In 1973 the company's name was changed to "Zaclady Metalowe Predom-Lucznik" which coincided with the company expanding into typewriters and sewing machines, principally due to the decline in demand for arms. It is during this 1970s period of diversification that production of the Predom-Lucznik 170 air pistol began. The pistol was discontinued by about 1980, and by 1990 the company was in financial difficulties and underwent yet another name change to become "Zaklady Mechaniczne Lucznik". It was finally declared bankrupt on November 13th 2000. However, because of a previously arranged partnership, the factory survived in the form of "Fabryka Broni Lucznik-Radom SF" and currently manufactures a wide range of small arms, but no airgun products.

Hope this helps provide a bit of background into the heritage of your pistol.

Regards

Brian

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:58 am

Many thanks Brian!

bellringer
Marksman
Marksman

Post by bellringer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:19 pm

Jeff hi; I can't go anywhere near Certus' reply which is fascinating reading. I like many of my ream mates in the 70's bought the pistol thinking , as it was a dead ringer copy of a Walther LP53, we would be on to a good thing, the pistol was known locally only as the 'Predom' and everyone new what you were talking about; sadly it was never as good as the Walther, quality was much lower, and shooting either pistol was definitely difficult due to the unusual layout of spring in grip, sadly I don't know of any owner locally and as most of us were very competitive we quickly moved on to whatever we could afford that would give us the 'edge'. Nice to know there are still some good quality ones around though as they are definitely a serious part of our shooting history.
Continue to enjoy your pistol and as far as my area {Walsall/Wolverhampton] was concerned 'Predom Lucznic' was the official name.
ATVB
bellringer

Cankiller

Post by Cankiller » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Jeff wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:42 am
I have a very nice Predom Lucznic and would like some advice as to its correct name. Various on line posts state that the correct name is either "Lucznic" and made in the Radom factory (a member of the Predom group of companies) or Type 170. Both names have me bemused. The former since there is no mention of the Redom connection. The latter since the gun has markings "wz. 1970" . I assume the "wz." is short for wzor meaning model and if this is so then why is the gun not known as a Model 1970? Any clarification is welcome.

In Polish cz is pronounced in English like a ch as in church.
Webleys x5...BSA x3...BSF x2...Diana x 10...Weirauch x6...Crosman/Franklin x7...Gamo x5...Chiappas x1...Hatsan x1...
Browning x2...Feinwerkbau x1...Baikel x3...Cometa x2...FB Record x2...Hyscore x2...Westlake x1...etc...etc...