Webley Target MK11 for 10 Metre?

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
fronteria
Plinker
Plinker
Webley Target MK11 for 10 Metre?

Post by fronteria » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:07 pm

I am going to try using one of my 1920's Webley MK11 Targets pistols to have a go at 10 metre target shooting.
What are the chances of me doing any good against the latest Co. 2 and precharged pistols?
Or am I wasting my time.
Regards Jeff

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Webley Target MK11 for 10 Metre?

Post by Certus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 pm

fronteria wrote:I am going to try using one of my 1920's Webley MK11 Targets pistols to have a go at 10 metre target shooting.
What are the chances of me doing any good against the latest Co. 2 and precharged pistols?
Or am I wasting my time.
Regards Jeff
Hi Jeff,

The Mk2 Target is not really a serious competition pistol, but should be capable of regularly holding the black aiming area on the current NSRA 10 metre card which is 60mm in diameter.

I have a Mk2 Target, but have not really found it to be any more accurate than the Mk1 which I shoot regularly. The group below is typical of what can be obtained from these pistols if you do your part. As with all spring powered air pistols it's critical to ensure you remain on aim for 3-4 secs seconds (follow through) after releasing the shot as Iv'e found this to be the factor that most seriously affects accuracy. The later 'slant grip' pistols are easier to shoot as they seem to sit in the hand a bit better, but I much prefer the appearance of the 'straight grip' models.

These pistols are a lot harder to consistently match the PCP's for accuracy, but when you do it puts a much bigger smile on your face.

Yocom/user/Abasmajor/media/fe70b048-b406-458c-91bf-49eb8f52a908_zpswyblcfzs.jpg.html]Image[/url]

Regards

Brian

fronteria
Plinker
Plinker

Post by fronteria » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi. Brian
If I can produce a group like yours I will be more than happy, I have quite a few Webley Air Pistol so maybe I should try several of them to see which one groups best for me with the selection of ammunition I have.
Is your pistol better at grouping with one type of ammunition over another the same as nearly all my rifle are.
Regards Jeff

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi Jeff,
I only use .177 when trying to shoot decent groups with a springer and use H&N Pistol Match as these lighter pellets also perform well in my BSA Improved Mod D air rifles.

They are quite expensive and RWS Hobby shoot quite well, but with less consistency.

Regards
Brian

fronteria
Plinker
Plinker

Post by fronteria » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:48 am

Certus wrote:Hi Jeff,
I only use .177 when trying to shoot decent groups with a springer and use H&N Pistol Match as these lighter pellets also perform well in my BSA Improved Mod D air rifles.

They are quite expensive and RWS Hobby shoot quite well, but with less consistency.

Regards
Brian
Hi. Brian
I was useless at getting a fair size group with the pistol, but one of the other members shot five old Webley pellets from the 1960's (I had a damaged tin full with the voucher for a Webley badge still in it) and scored 2X Bulls,2X8's and a 7 on the NSRA 10 metre target.
I think I will stick to black powder shooting at least I can say I couldn't see the target through the smoke which has some resemblance to the truth!
Regards Jeff

wadcutter

Post by wadcutter » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:47 am

Jeff practice makes perfect mate, I still use my original 6G with good results and I use RWS Meisterkugein match pellet's little more expensive but my choice mate. The R10 pellets are on par I think. :D
Regards

Kevin

Diana Original 6G Pistol

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:58 pm

fronteria wrote:
Certus wrote:Hi Jeff,

Regards
Brian
Hi. Brian
I was useless at getting a fair size group with the pistol, but one of the other members shot five old Webley pellets from the 1960's (I had a damaged tin full with the voucher for a Webley badge still in it) and scored 2X Bulls,2X8's and a 7 on the NSRA 10 metre target.
I think I will stick to black powder shooting at least I can say I couldn't see the target through the smoke which has some resemblance to the truth!
Regards Jeff
Hello Jeff,

I also shoot black powder revolvers and have found air pistol shooting an excellent way to reinforce the need for 'follow through' as the 'lock time' on these pistols is similarly slow making this an essential part of the shot release.

Brian

fronteria
Plinker
Plinker

Post by fronteria » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi. Brian
I shoot a Brown Bess 42" barreled Pedisoli musket, Colt Walker replica and a flintlock all steel scottish pistol.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:30 pm

fronteria wrote:Hi. Brian
I shoot a Brown Bess 42" barreled Pedisoli musket, Colt Walker replica and a flintlock all steel scottish pistol.
I mainly shoot a Uberti Remington NMA or Colt Navy, but do also occasionally shoot a Colt Dragoon which is too much gun for me, nevermind a Walker !

Brian

gary5031

Post by gary5031 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Whatcha chaps,
Sorry to post this in the pistol section, but it is a related topic. I have just started target shooting with a MK1 Webley Service air rifle and have a few questions i'am hoping could get answered. I would like to adjust the trigger pull, to make lighter, using the adjustment screw but have no idea as to whether it should wind in (cw) or out (ccw). As its a very rare and rather expansive model I dont want to do any damage, any ideas.
Also as i'am new to the sport and collecting air weapons, lots of deacs and WW2 milliteria, can anybody recommend a good gin smith to service the rifle? I live in South Essex.
I'am also in the process of looking at a Webley MK1 pistol and a MK2 target pistol to also target shoot with, any particular pro's and con's for each pistol?
Thanks for your time and patience as this is my first post.
Kind regards & TTFN,
Gary
BASH ON!!

gary5031

Post by gary5031 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Just noticed a rather funny spelling mistake, thats gun and NOT gin smith. Less of the mothers ruin on a hot summers day.
BASH ON!!

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:15 pm

gary5031 wrote:Whatcha chaps,
Sorry to post this in the pistol section, but it is a related topic. I have just started target shooting with a MK1 Webley Service air rifle and have a few questions i'am hoping could get answered. I would like to adjust the trigger pull, to make lighter, using the adjustment screw but have no idea as to whether it should wind in (cw) or out (ccw). As its a very rare and rather expansive model I dont want to do any damage, any ideas.
Also as i'am new to the sport and collecting air weapons, lots of deacs and WW2 milliteria, can anybody recommend a good gin smith to service the rifle? I live in South Essex.
I'am also in the process of looking at a Webley MK1 pistol and a MK2 target pistol to also target shoot with, any particular pro's and con's for each pistol?
Thanks for your time and patience as this is my first post.
Kind regards & TTFN,
Gary
Hello Gary,

The trigger adjustment screw is turned CW to reduce the weight and CCW to increase the weight. Be very careful when doing this though, as trying to reduce the weight too much can result in the sear not engaging enough to be safe.

The Mk2 Target air pistol was introduced as a deluxe version of the Mk1 and was only made in small numbers resulting in it being much rarer and consequently more expensive. I have both and have found no difference in accuracy between the two at the maximum recommended range of 10 metres. The Mk2 Target has a rear sight which is adjustable for windage as well as elevation whereas the Mk1 is only adjustable for elevation. In practice however, the Mk1 sight blade slot can be filed to allow modest adjustment in windage. Neither are particularly suitable for precision target shooting, but are great fun to own and shoot.

Regards
Brian

gary5031

Post by gary5031 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:05 pm

Brian,
Many thanks for the advice.
The problem with the rifle at the moment is that it takes an over long and hard squeeze of the trigger to 'fire' the rifle, which in itself is making it hard to be accurate whilst target shooting. On closer inspection the adjusting screw does look to be almost proud of the action of the gun, so i'll try to screw it in via small incraments to see if it makes a difference whilst keeping your advice in mind as to not going too far. I'll post and let you know how it goes.
As for the MK 1 & 2 pistol the dealer has both models at the same price so I may go for the rarer MK2 and source the more common MK 1 when monies allow.
Thanks for all the advice and i'll let you know how it goes.

Kind regards.

Gary
BASH ON!!

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi Gary,

No problem. If you let us know the Ser No of your Mk1 rifle and the Mk1 /Mk2 Target pistol, we should be able to provide an idea of the manufacturing date.

The Mk2 Target is definitely the more desirable pistol, especially at the same price.

Regards
Brian

gary5031

Post by gary5031 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:50 pm

Brian,
The Ser No. of the rifle is 691, listed in Chris Thrales's excellent book. I presumed that that would put its date around 1927? what are your thoughts?
I have had one session of target shooting and the grouping is slightly low so whilst i'am looking at the trigger adjustment i'll look at adjusting the back sight. At the moment its on the bottom of the 5 settings so i'll move it up one line at a time and see what happens.
Thanks for your kind interest, i'll try and post some images tomorrow.

TTFN,

Gary
BASH ON!!