What is This Collection of Webley Air Pistols Worth?

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
fronteria
Plinker
Plinker
What is This Collection of Webley Air Pistols Worth?

Post by fronteria » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:59 pm

A few photographs of a collection of Webley Air Pistols What are they Worth?
Photographs Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronteria ... 4627288500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dc3-c47

Re: What is This Collection of Webley Air Pistols Worth?

Post by dc3-c47 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi Fronteria, decent collection of Webleys, are you looking to buy or sell them?. As to their value, the're worth what someone is prepared to pay for them and there seems to be plenty out there at the moment so here's my 2 penneth for what it's worth:

The tin grip Junior is nice and the serial number is quite low so it should be of interest to a collector who hasn't already got one (but they did made lots of them). I've seen good ones like this fetch from £125 to £250 at auction. more if you are buying from a dealer.

The other Junior looks like a pre '58 model and there are plenty about priced from £60 to £150. More if the original box is present.

The pre war Mk1 is also a nice example especially if the box is original and not a reproduction. Looks a bit "glossy" as if someone has varnished it (hope not) and the keeper screw looks incorrect. I date this one at about 1937. I own two of these and value them at about £150 each. If the box is original, add another £100. This model is nice to shoot with if you like pre-war target shooting, especially if it's in .177

There looks to be a decent pre '58 Senior: One of my favorite and worth between £125 and £175 without taking a closer look. Expect to pay more from a dealer. No box with his one?

The late Premier also looks good and whilst they are a bit too new for me, there are people out there looking for these. This looks to have the painted finish so it's hard for me to value it. Some collectors rate this model as quite rare but personally, I prefer the early models. It's boxed so could be around £200.

Same goes for the post 1958 senior, hoping the box is genuine and not a reproduction. Last near mint perfect example I saw at auction earlier this year fetched £190 plus buyers premium taking it to £230

The most desirable are the Mk 2 target models. These can fetch around £350 or more on a good day. One looks like it has a nail(?) on the small link joint, the other looks okay. Worth having one of these.

The Tempest looks to be in mint condition and very desirable if you like the late pistols. Sellers are asking from £120 upwards for examples like this.

Hope this may be of help to you. Others may chip in their own estimates.

fronteria
Plinker
Plinker

Post by fronteria » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:09 pm

dc3-c47 wrote:Hi Fronteria, decent collection of Webleys, are you looking to buy or sell them?. As to their value, the're worth what someone is prepared to pay for them and there seems to be plenty out there at the moment so here's my 2 penneth for what it's worth:

The tin grip Junior is nice and the serial number is quite low so it should be of interest to a collector who hasn't already got one (but they did made lots of them). I've seen good ones like this fetch from £125 to £250 at auction. more if you are buying from a dealer.

The other Junior looks like a pre '58 model and there are plenty about priced from £60 to £150. More if the original box is present.

The pre war Mk1 is also a nice example especially if the box is original and not a reproduction. Looks a bit "glossy" as if someone has varnished it (hope not) and the keeper screw looks incorrect. I date this one at about 1937. I own two of these and value them at about £150 each. If the box is original, add another £100. This model is nice to shoot with if you like pre-war target shooting, especially if it's in .177

There looks to be a decent pre '58 Senior: One of my favorite and worth between £125 and £175 without taking a closer look. Expect to pay more from a dealer. No box with his one?

The late Premier also looks good and whilst they are a bit too new for me, there are people out there looking for these. This looks to have the painted finish so it's hard for me to value it. Some collectors rate this model as quite rare but personally, I prefer the early models. It's boxed so could be around £200.

Same goes for the post 1958 senior, hoping the box is genuine and not a reproduction. Last near mint perfect example I saw at auction earlier this year fetched £190 plus buyers premium taking it to £230

The most desirable are the Mk 2 target models. These can fetch around £350 or more on a good day. One looks like it has a nail(?) on the small link joint, the other looks okay. Worth having one of these.

The Tempest looks to be in mint condition and very desirable if you like the late pistols. Sellers are asking from £120 upwards for examples like this.

Hope this may be of help to you. Others may chip in their own estimates.
Hi. dc3-c47
All the boxes are original I don't try to pull the wool over people's eyes, yes I think you are right about the nail in small link joint on one of the Target models, I have not taken it out as the finish might suffer some damage in doing so.
The MK1 is in .177 Calibre and has not been varnished the finish is original but it has oil on it to keep rust at bay, I know the keep screw is incorrect I should get a new one but I have not bothered but I will sort it, either when I next order something from Knibb's or before I sell it.
The pre '58 Senior: is the one I use most and it shoots very well which is a bit suprising as some idiot tied to get the rear plug out and has damaged it, I have noted this is the comments below the photographs.
The Premier is the painted model it spent its whole life in collections first in Webley's Musium and now mine.
I think your valuations are about all I would expect to get at an auction, I have got to decide what to do about this collection of mine.
Have you had a look at the rifles I have put a few on there, the service rifles are the most valuable but I like the Colchester Gamekeeper, I use a Theoben customised Rapid 7 most of the time it makes a one hole group at 35 yards I run it at 11.2 flbs so it is not a FAC, although I shoot both small and full-bore rifle I am not keen on FAC air rifles.

dc3-c47

Post by dc3-c47 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi Fronteria, I only managed to download the photos of the Webley pistols, I didn't see any other airguns or any text.

Hard to say which is the best way to sell good stuff like this: Auctions can be a bit risky and the premiums charged to both sellers and buyers is rather too much these days and it has an influence on the sale price since most buyers factor in the premium when making bids (I do). Having said that, I'm always surprised to see one or two making prices well over the estimate. I saw an early Webley mk3 rifle in very good condition go recently at a hammer price of £220 which gives a final sale price of £265. Quite a high price. This was followed by a pre war breakdown BSA in decent original condition which went for a hammer price of £80. That was cheap.

You just can't predict the outcome