A brief overview of the Walther LP53 variants.

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman
A brief overview of the Walther LP53 variants.

Post by Leonardj » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:14 am

I have been researching the Walther LP53 air pistol for a great many years, and have been attempting to sort out the known variants that have occurred over the course of production of this unique air pistol. I have divided the known variants into five groups, and will describe the different features used to define each of these variant groups.

Variant #1
This particular group has only come to light within the past 18 or so months, because prior to any pictures of the very early serial numbered guns turning up. nothing was really known of the difference between these very early guns, and those that fall into the Variant #2 group. First variant guns have a number of differences over the later guns, but the most obvious is the markings on the side of the receiver. The three earliest guns known have machined markings, whereas, by S/N 002xxx, these markings are stamped. A few more of the differences can be seen in detail in an earlier post:
http://capa.myfreeforum.org/about196.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Variant #2
The second variant guns appear similar to the first variant guns, but a number of engineering changes have taken place. (Refer again to the thread noted above) The smooth receiver, and high gloss finish on both the alloy parts and the blued steel parts remain. The Walther markings are now stamped into the side of the receiver. The box dimensions have been altered to the size most commonly seen for the LP53.

Variant #2, Sub Variant 1
This is an interesting sub variant, of which to date, only two examples are known. The subtle difference in these guns to the second variant seen above, is that the top of the receiver, as well as the curved rear portion of the receiver has a crackle black finish applied from the factory, as seen in the inset below. Speculation is that this was done to cover up an imperfection in the casting, much like Webley & Scott did by engraving, to cover imperfections in the frames of their guns.

Variant #3
The third variant guns maintain essentially all the same features as the second variant guns with the only difference being that the entire receiver sports a crackle black finish, with the exception of a small oval area, into which the markings are stamped. Within the third variant range, at around S/N 024xxx, the adjustable trigger feature is dropped.

Variant #4
The fourth variant guns retain the crinkle finish receivers, but now the barrel is no longer a shiny, deep blue finish - it is a satin grey/black finish, almost appearing as though Parkerized. The steel parts have also had a similar satin finish applied - no longer that deep, shiny blued finish seen on the earlier variants.

Variant #5
The fifth variant guns displayed a complete make-over of the receiver, with the most notable feature being the elimination of the curved detail at the rear of the receiver, with a straight angled treatment. The barrel and all the metal parts retain the satin finish as seen on the fourth variant guns. What is interesting to note here is that while Walther states that there were 125.000 LP53 pistols produced, there have been several LP53 specimens surface bearing serial numbers into the 127xxx and 128xxx ranges. Another interesting note with regard to the fifth variant guns is that there appeared to be an engineering change to the sear bar and the piston sear engagement notch, that  took place at around S/N 127xxx.

My research on the Walther LP53 is an ongoing project, and my information files are growing daily. My LP53 serial number database, which I began several years ago on the AVA forum, now contains several hundred listings, which have been very helpful in trying to determine when some engineering changes took place. Many interesting revelations have also come from the many LP53 pistols that I have had come to me for repair, such as the sear bar and piston design change noted in the fifth variant description. I have been encouraged by some friends to compile all my research into a book, and perhaps one day, I just might.
Last edited by Leonardj on Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:32 pm

An excellent thread and certainly worthy of a book of it's own, along with inclusion in other reference guides.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:16 pm

A great reference guide - thanks for posting!

Nyctophiliac

Re: A brief overview of the Walther LP53 variants.

Post by Nyctophiliac » Thu May 09, 2013 10:54 am

Just found this thread. Great info.

I have an LP53 which appears to be different to those pictured here.

It is a brown handled non-crackled receiver variety S/N 009xxx - it has the stamped Walther and model on the receiver as in variant #2.

But it also has the stamped 'Made in Germany' to the right of the barrel screw above the trigger as on the variant #2 Sub-variant #1.

I will do some pix later today to show these features.

Also, I have been unable, so far, to find an approximate year of manufacture for my LP53. Does anyone have a resource for that?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu May 09, 2013 5:43 pm

Hopefully Leonardj will be able to help, though we haven't heard from him for a while.

Perhaps your particulate pistol is a hybrid of parts. Probably very unlikely, but you never know.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Post by Leonardj » Sun May 12, 2013 5:25 am

Nyctophiliac wrote:Just found this thread. Great info.

I have an LP53 which appears to be different to those pictured here.

It is a brown handled non-crackled receiver variety S/N 009xxx - it has the stamped Walther and model on the receiver as in variant #2.

But it also has the stamped 'Made in Germany' to the right of the barrel screw above the trigger as on the variant #2 Sub-variant #1.

I will do some pix later today to show these features.

Also, I have been unable, so far, to find an approximate year of manufacture for my LP53. Does anyone have a resource for that?
The "Made in Germany" stamp has been known to have been placed in several different locations on the frame of the LP53.
Quite some time ago, I did an on-line poll to determine just how many alternate markings, and the locations of these markings, were to be seen on the LP53, and IIRC, the "Made in Germany" marking can appear in any one of at least four different locations, with no apparent corellation to the year of manufacture.

According to a chart provided by Walther, your LP53 would have been manufactured early in 1955, probably late first quarter, or early second quarter.

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Post by Leonardj » Sun May 12, 2013 5:28 am

pmh wrote:Hopefully Leonardj will be able to help, though we haven't heard from him for a while.

Perhaps your particulate pistol is a hybrid of parts. Probably very unlikely, but you never know.

Kind regards,

Phil
Been very busy lately, so just having a quick look most of the time.
Hope to get back to normal soon and get back to posting more regularly.

The forum changes look great - keep up the fine work.

Nyctophiliac

Post by Nyctophiliac » Sun May 12, 2013 8:22 am

Crikey 1955! Many thanks for the information. I had emailed Walther, but they have not got back to me yet.

Still shoots very well indeed. Nice groups with only the occasional flyer (Probably down to me to be fair).

Here's a couple of phone pix of my gun.

And the detail of the stamp.

I must take some piccies with a real camera.

Lovely trigger and I find the cocking action to be smooth and without difficulty.

Now if only I had the talent to match this pistol.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun May 12, 2013 12:42 pm

Good to hear from you Leonard, your excellent input has been greatly missed.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH