Hammerli Master

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
jassi
Plinker
Plinker
Hammerli Master

Post by jassi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:31 pm

I’ve been after a Hammerli Master for a while and finally got one.

This is a  Swiss 10 metre pistol made between 1964 and  1976  and  won  German National competitions in 1965, 66 and 67
It measures 15.9 inches and weighs 2.4 lbs., but is nicely balanced and doesn’t feel heavy. The CO2 capsule loads at the rear, which goes to explain its length and shape.

Has a novel loading mechanism, whereby when the pistol is cocked, the loading port rises from the barrel. This model also has a blow-off mechanism, which vents the CO2 when the pressure has dropped to an unreliable level. No safety mechanism and only comes on 4.5 mm calibre

Impressively accurate, (as you would expect from a match pistol), even in my hands and in my opinion is far superior to both Crosman MK1 and S&W 79g in all ways (except calibre)

Hammerli made a number of variations, including a 5 shot pellet version called a Duell, which I quite fancy, but fear  may be as rare as hen’s teeth.

Although this is definitely one to keep, I seem to have ended up with  two of them ( got carried away in auction), so one will be sold when I can bear to part with it.

Ian

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Wonderful pistol!

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:45 pm

Great pistol i have the the "single" the earlier version also very accurate,
the 5 shot version you mention one has been on offer @ Protek not sure if its still there,M.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:10 pm

An excellent pistol indeed.

This is one that always stands out, along with the Original Model 10, as both these guns leapt of the page of my first ever Airgun World back in 1978.

Kind regards,

Phil
Last edited by pmh on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:21 am

When the Master first came out it needed a Firearms certificate to own one here in the UK.

I remember some of the Plymouth lads doing quite well with these at some of the matches I went to, but no better than with the more common FWB Model 65 that most of us had at the time, although I am sure they had anatomical grips with adjustable hand shelves on theirs at the time.

Most of us felt the Master was a really nice pistol - but not worth the space on the certificate when the same space could have been used for something a little more "interesting" such as a S&W .357 Magnum etc!

If the firearms laws changed sooner regarding CO2 pistols there would have been a lot more of these superb pistols in use - along with the Walther CP1 and FWB Model 2 etc - the main rivals at the time!

There are probably a lot more of them in the UK now than there was at the time now that they can be bought and sold more freely with the FA certificate!
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

gingernut
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gingernut » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:16 am

These are such classy pistols.
I see Charlie Cloud has a couple for sale on UBC.

I have the Sparkler which shoots a pellet using a side operated tap.
But you can also put 5 lead BBs in a hole in the top then cock and shoot.
It is very accurate with both ammos.
When I bought it I didnt know about the BBs!

jassi
Plinker
Plinker

Post by jassi » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:28 am

I was surprised at the asking price. Hope I can get that for mine when I put it up for sale  :lol:

Ian

zooma

Post by zooma » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 pm

jassi:1918 wrote:I was surprised at the asking price. Hope I can get that for mine when I put it up for sale  :lol:

Ian
Asking and getting is not the same thing - lets wait and see what it fetches.

jassi
Plinker
Plinker

Post by jassi » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:27 pm

Indeed. They are quite rare, but they may not be much sought after - many people seem to like the more 'modern' pistols.

Ian

gingernut
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gingernut » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:16 pm

I was offered the multi shot Duell for £400 two years ago.
I declined.
Cracking gun tho.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:48 pm

I was sorely tempted to make Charlie an offer, but something else cropped up.

All, hopefully, will be revealed shortly.

Not seen one with the anatomical grips for a while though. Those are extra smart.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zooma

Post by zooma » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 am

The one with the anatomical grips is definitely the one to go for!

jassi
Plinker
Plinker

Post by jassi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:09 am

Have just fitted a bulk-fill cap to my Master. Its the same fitting as the one for the QB78 and I got it from Solware last week.
Wouldn't seal properly at first, as the central part of the assembly has nothing to stop it from moving forward into the loading chamber, even when the cap is screwed on.
Solved the problem by removing the lower cm or so of a used CO2 capsule and inserting this first, so that the brass insert is held in position up against the end of the capsule and the cap can screw up hard against it and make a good seal.

Doesn't deliver anywhere near the same number of shots per load, but that isn't a problem for me as I do most of my shooting indoors where I keep the gas cylinder.

Ian

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:24 pm

Certainly a good accessory, as the capsules can be quite an expensive outlay, especially if you just want a dozen quick shots or so.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

jassi
Plinker
Plinker

Post by jassi » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:58 am

The bulk-fill set up isn't cheap by the time you've got the various fitting, but the gas itself is dirt cheap.

I got set up last year when I bought a couple of early Crosmans - 111 & 112, which are only bulk-fill.  Since then I use bulk-fill for a Crosman Mk1, a 600 and S&W 78/9 so my purchase of capsule has fallen right off.

I'm experimenting with trying to convert some revolvers to bulk fill as well, but haven't managed to perfect it yet.

Ian