Original Model 10

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:14 am

I need to get my act together with this MPL malarkey - if you two are using your model 10's I am in good company with my FWB65

Apparently it is shot every month :oops:
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

eredel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by eredel » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:59 pm

450 ftb!!!!!!  :shock:  :shock:

Eric.
Browning B425 12G O/U Trap ~ Morini 162EI Short ~ Baikal MP-53M

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:24 pm

Tank:2643 wrote:I need to get my act together with this MPL malarkey - if you two are using your model 10's I am in good company with my FWB65

Apparently it is shot every month :oops:

The MPL is shot during the last week of every month.

......welcome aboard!
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

zooma

Post by zooma » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:28 pm

eredel:2645 wrote:450 ftb!!!!!!  :shock:  :shock:

Eric.
Impressive eh?

Looks like you are the only one that is awake........ :D

450 fps is probably more realistic!

I wondered how long it would take for somebody to spot that one (as Mr Mannering once said!).

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:34 pm

I should get a framed one for the wall.  :lol:

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

eredel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by eredel » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:08 pm

zooma:2647 wrote:
eredel:2645 wrote:450 ftb!!!!!!  :shock:  :shock:

Eric.
Impressive eh?

Looks like you are the only one that is awake........ :D

450 fps is probably more realistic!

I wondered how long it would take for somebody to spot that one (as Mr Mannering once said!).
I think accuracy would suffer from the "kick"...lol!!

Eric
Browning B425 12G O/U Trap ~ Morini 162EI Short ~ Baikal MP-53M

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:25 pm

It would be good to sit in an office chair and see how many shots the recoil would take you the range 10m  :lol:

400 to 450 fps is a very good range for a target pistol to be in. Anything more is just a waste. Not so much in spring, but certainly in CO2 and PCP resulting in fewer shots per charge.

Most of mine float around the 420 fps point.

Tablets can be a pain for typing on, as my spell checker often substitutes words without me realising.
M0KPH

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:44 pm

pmh:2650 wrote:It would be good to sit in an office chair and see how many shots the recoil would take you the range 10m  :lol:

400 to 450 fps is a very good range for a target pistol to be in. Anything more is just a waste. Not so much in spring, but certainly in CO2 and PCP resulting in fewer shots per charge.

Most of mine float around the 420 fps point.

Tablets can be a pain for typing on, as my spell checker often substitutes words without me realising.
Its not as fast  as yours has been tested at - but R10 are usually faster than K&N in any case, so when I get it back I will see what it clocks at on R10 and Meisterkugeln - my two "first choice" match pellets, and I will see if there is any difference between 4.49 and 4.50 in both types- from an accuracy and speed point of view.  Usually there is nothing to choose between the two sizes.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:03 pm

That's a good point. I need to dig the 4.49 and 4.50 and have a session with the chrono and a benchrest to see if there is notable difference.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:09 pm

I have just had a call from Ian Jones to say he is going to collect my Diana Model 10 from Dave's establishment tomorrow morning, so I will be able to test it at the club on Tuesday.

Can't wait !

My only "nod" towards the collector's value will be to take it to the club in a plastic pistol case - no point bumping the oversized original case about, and it is an awkward size to transport with the other pistols in any case!

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Good point on transportation.

My case is virtually mint, and this is one item that is practically impossible to replace.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zooma

Post by zooma » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Ian collected my Diana Model 10 from Dave's emporium  today - now he has whacked the barrel with a lump of wood he reckons it won't shoot too low anymore, so tomorrow night it should be in MPL action!

Most Model 10's have bent barrels - they are a bit soft  - and depending on the previous owners cocking strength and technique it could be bent upwards or downwards.

I have one of each (!) - or at least I did - hopefully I only have one left now that needs a skilful clout as it has the more typical upwards bent banana barrel and shoots nicely - but too high !

zooma

Diana is now OK

Post by zooma » Wed May 01, 2013 6:54 pm

I took my Diana Model 10 down to RMTC last night to see if Daves magic hammer had done it any good.

The first few shots were all over the place until it stopped chucking out smoke and gave me a chance to make some sensible sight adjustments.

Things picked up after 20 - 30 shots, and keeping everything in the black at 10 meters started to look good.

Now my other Model 10 has gone to have its barrel clouted by Dave in the opposite direction to see if we can get that one working well too!

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Sun May 05, 2013 9:39 am

Bent barrels on break barrels tend to bend upwards due to being fired when the barrel is broken or being let go during cocking.

But I had an old battered mod 6 that shot 5" high at 6 yds with rear sight in lowest position. I couldn't discern an actual bend on the barrel but I read that barrel alignment on older Dianas depends on the thickness of the breech seal, and that's why they have shims underneath. Don't know if this is true or not.

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun May 05, 2013 12:29 pm

Adam77K:2794 wrote:Bent barrels on break barrels tend to bend upwards due to being fired when the barrel is broken or being let go during cocking.

But I had an old battered mod 6 that shot 5" high at 6 yds with rear sight in lowest position. I couldn't discern an actual bend on the barrel but I read that barrel alignment on older Dianas depends on the thickness of the breech seal, and that's why they have shims underneath. Don't know if this is true or not.
Most break barrel pistols have a safety device to stop the barrel snapping shut if the trigger is inadvertently pulled during cocking, and the Model 10 does have this safety device fitted.

However, the Model 10 does have a heavy duty barrel locking detent, and when coupled with a soft metal barrel, years of heavy handed use in either direction when opening or closing the breach is the most likely cause of the bent barrels.

I had one Model 10 with the barrel bent upwards and one with it bent downwards, and both had the same breach seal protrusion and when the cocking swivel sleeve was removed a straight edge clearly showed one barrel bent upwards and the other downwards.

Both of these pistols are in superb condition and have no outward signs of any abuse, and when this is coupled with the fairly large number of other Model 10 pistols that have been reported with this same problem over the years I think the way the owners cock the pistols is the biggest influence on whether they have a bent barrel or not.

Fortunately it is not too difficult to fix as the soft barrel is fairly easy to tap back straight, and with careful use from a respectful owner it will probably never need doing again, whereas heavy handed use could cause a repeat problem.

Now these are increasingly sought after collectors pistols the curent crop of Model 10 owners are likely to take good care of them.