Walther LP53

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Appinpar68
Plinker
Plinker
Walther LP53

Post by Appinpar68 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:11 pm

Been after one of these for ages, but could only find poor examples without the Cocking unit - however managed to find this one which should be on route to me shortly.

It is a 1972 model which looks in good condition complete with cocking unit and barrel brush

Graeme

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Looks like a good one

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:16 pm

Looks in great condition enjoy, M. :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:56 pm

Looks very nice, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Don't examine it too closely when you get it, as it is 40 years old and will have some signs of use.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

gingernut
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gingernut » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Be careful with the barrel paint as it will rub off easily especially with the old oily rag.
It doesn't need an oily rag as the barrel is alloy. It won't rust.
Also make sure the foresight screw is tight or it will fall out.

They are quality pistols that are good to shoot and nice to own.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:19 pm

I have one that I bought some time ago but with a HW35 rear sight as the original rear sight was broken/lost/damaged back in the mists of time. This turns out to have been a common practice - so it follows it was an issue with the sight I would suggest.
I obtained a new spring set and seals from John Knibbs (but I am still waiting for a new Piston Seal to come back into stock) then cleaned the gun and replaced the parts I had. A very unusual gun to fire but one that I do enjoy the quirkiness of.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Well, I spoke too soon. I was shooting a Vintage Airgun competition yesterday using the LP53 and just at the end of one of the scorecards the rear sight fell off! This is the second time this has happened to me, the first time I thought maybe the seller hadn't told me something or there was maybe a fracture or the installer had made a mistake. Whatever, it turns out that the recoil from the shot causes the very rearward underside of the sight to come down sharply into contact with the breech. The result is that the aluminium casting of the rear sight blade holder ( I will take a photograph, honest) fractures and the rear blade just falls apart!
Fortunately I have several spares but i am not going to just stick another one on to be destroyed in the same way, I need to come up with a suitable modification.
I will keep you updated. Expect a long journey :oops:
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:13 pm

I am planning to make a small run of the LP53 spring steel rear sight base/holder.

I have to cost it all out to see what the price will be  - but if there is any interest, please let me know as the more I can cut/shape/temper and black at a time, the more it will reduce the cost of them.

The smaller the number - the greater the cost per piece will be.

This part always fails, and there seems to be none available from anywhere, so I am hoping there is a demand for them so I can make them for a reasonable price.

The next step will be to CNC cut, polish and anodise a rear sight block to fit it as I understand some of these have been lost over the years as well....and they will make a good upgrade for the Predom as too!
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

zooma

Post by zooma » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:26 pm

Do we have any LP53 enthusiasts who can tell me why some LP53 pistols have such a strong first stage travel spring resistance......and what can be done to make it softer and nicer to shoot like the majority of LP53 pistols that have a nice soft first travel spring feel ?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Sounds like a question LeonardJ should be able to shed some light on.

Let's hope he pops along soon.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma

Post by zooma » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:16 am

From what I can find out from various sources, it would appear that the early type adjustable LP53 trigger is the one with the stiff first stage trigger, but the later non-adjustable type of trigger has a much lighter first stage trigger.

Both types have a very smooth let-off and either should perform in a similar way once you get used to your own pistol.

Both types of LP53 trigger are a lot better than the Predom - but Phil has not finished tinkering with my Predom yet - so maybe it is possible to make one shoot as well as the Walther?

Meanwhile it would be good to take one of the early "adjustable" trigger's apart to try and find out why the first stage is so heavy compared to the later non-adjustable types.

zooma

Re: Walther LP53

Post by zooma » Wed May 29, 2013 8:19 am

As I complete the photography of my Walther LP53 collection, I need to sell one or two of them to help fund my next purchase.

All of my LP53 pistols are in nice working condition, so if anyone is interested in acquiring one please send me a PM.

I will be selling one with the fairly rare fitted case, and although this does push the price up a bit, I will be selling it for the same price that I paid for it and so it will make a very nice addition to any air pistol collection - and also a nice pistol to use in the new MPL 6 yard postal competition perhaps?

mrto

Re:

Post by mrto » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:56 am

zooma wrote:I am planning to make a small run of the LP53 spring steel rear sight base/holder.

I have to cost it all out to see what the price will be  - but if there is any interest, please let me know as the more I can cut/shape/temper and black at a time, the more it will reduce the cost of them.

The smaller the number - the greater the cost per piece will be.

This part always fails, and there seems to be none available from anywhere, so I am hoping there is a demand for them so I can make them for a reasonable price.

The next step will be to CNC cut, polish and anodise a rear sight block to fit it as I understand some of these have been lost over the years as well....and they will make a good upgrade for the Predom as too!
Hi Zooma,
I for one would like one of these sight bases as on one of my LP53's the part was damaged in transit to me from the person that I bought it from.
Do you have a date by which they may be available.

Regards,
Mark.

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:05 am

Hi Mark.

We are working on getting the exact same grade of steel (or better) and working out the tempering process used at the time and again looking to match or better it to give the same amount of "spring" so it engages and holds the selected position under the horizontal adjuster screw on the included 'click" stop indents.

First prototypes look interesting and have proven the shape and bend and fit are all OK - so the tempering process/steel grade and type is the final part of the jigsaw to complete.

Naturally this is not a proper income source, so the work has to be done in-between the real wage earning work, but we are well on with the project and hope to have some made this summer.

Sorry I can't be more precise with the date but hope we can supply the part you need to fix your LP53 in the not too distant future.

mrto

Post by mrto » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:25 am

zooma wrote:Hi Mark.

We are working on getting the exact same grade of steel (or better) and working out the tempering process used at the time and again looking to match or better it to give the same amount of "spring" so it engages and holds the selected position under the horizontal adjuster screw on the included 'click" stop indents.

First prototypes look interesting and have proven the shape and bend and fit are all OK - so the tempering process/steel grade and type is the final part of the jigsaw to complete.

Naturally this is not a proper income source, so the work has to be done in-between the real wage earning work, but we are well on with the project and hope to have some made this summer.

Sorry I can't be more precise with the date but hope we can supply the part you need to fix your LP53 in the not too distant future.
Hi Zooma,
Many thanks for your reply,it certainly sounds as though you are going to be making these to a very high standard.I look forward to hearing more in the summer.

Regards,
Mark.