Predom Lucznik

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
pmh
Site Admin
Predom Lucznik

Post by pmh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Bob (zooma) recently picked up one of these, and was kind enough to let me take it for a play.

Without doubt modelled on the Walther LP53, but a lot lot cheaper to own.

This particular gun has 1977 stamped on the side.

As is often the case with eastern block guns, it comes coated with a grease that eventually dries out and leaves a coating which can quite easily be mistaken for rust.

Bob did a good job of cleaning the outside up, but I thought I would check out the insides.

The main spring is removed by undoing the cap at the bottom of the grip.

The spring isn't really under that much pretension, so not special kit is required.

Once the cap is undone, the spring is proud by about 1 1/2".

The inside had a very thin coating of what looked like moly paste, so I left it as it was.

The spring was in a good clean condition, so I simply gave it a light coating of moly paste and reassembled it.

This took me some time as, when the piston dropped slightly, the trigger mechanism projected over the top of the piston, preventing it from returning.

After some careful examination, I found the correct sequence of internal levers to push, in order to allow the piston to return.

Care should be taken at this stage, however, as I lost a small, but deep, chunk out of my little finger, when I trapped it pushing the piston home.

The gun is now quite easy and smooth to cock.

The trigger adjustment screw does tend to get in the way, as this hangs down quite a bit, and is positioned just in front of the trigger.

As I had a tin of RWS Superdomes handy, I used these to test the gun over the skan.

I didn't weigh the pellets individually, I just took the 8.3 grains printed on the tin to calculate energy.

fps          ftlbs
235.71    1.02
217.62    0.87
225.60    0.94
211.52    0.82
234.05    1.01
242.27    1.08
227.01    0.95
210.74    0.82
215.16    0.85
224.34    0.91

I must admit, I thought the gun would give a little more power than it did, but looking at the springs, and the swept volume of the cylinder, the results are probably not unreasonable.

I suppose I should have tried a lighter pellet, such as the RWS Hobby, to see if this would up the velocity.

Whilst I doubt it would make an effective target pistol at 10m, it should perform ok at 6 yards, and would certainly make an interesting plinker.

Certainly a fun and unique gun to own.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Preedom

Post by zunmik » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:32 pm

I read this for the first time tonight (don't know how i missed it) very interesting did you do any more tests/trials say for accuracy or with other pellets for velocity etc?, i often see these for sale & have wondered about them. Are they similar in velocity/accuracy to the Walther does anyone know i wonder, M. :?:

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: Preedom

Post by Tank » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:18 pm

zunmik:2548 wrote:I read this for the first time tonight (don't know how i missed it) very interesting did you do any more tests/trials say for accuracy or with other pellets for velocity etc?, i often see these for sale & have wondered about them. Are they similar in velocity/accuracy to the Walther does anyone know i wonder, M. :?:
Well, Phil has brought this to the club the last couple of weeks and I can say that the damage to the back wall and the target boxes themselves has all been done by this gun :shock:

Fun to shoot though and it does react/shoot exactly the same way as my LP53
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: Preedom

Post by zunmik » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Tank:2549 wrote:
zunmik:2548 wrote:I read this for the first time tonight (don't know how i missed it) very interesting did you do any more tests/trials say for accuracy or with other pellets for velocity etc?, i often see these for sale & have wondered about them. Are they similar in velocity/accuracy to the Walther does anyone know i wonder, M. :?:
Well, Phil has brought this to the club the last couple of weeks and I can say that the damage to the back wall and the target boxes themselves has all been done by this gun :shock:

Fun to shoot though and it does react/shoot exactly the same way as my LP53
 :lol:  Wicked, and thanks for the info on how similar the Preedom & the Walther is, i hope you get the wall fixed soon, atb, M.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:05 pm

They are prone to finger pinch if you try to maintain a target type of grip and finger position.

The sights are more basic than the Walther ones, but are far less prone to breakage.

I had a go with Wasps last weekend, and managed a 3/4" group at 6 yards, so not too bad really.

I haven't yet carried out velocity tests with other pellets, but I don't think this would improve that much.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:46 pm

As i am a shooter rather than a collector i think i'll give the Preedom & the Walther a Pass not for me, M.

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 pm

I still have some confidence that Phil will eventually turn in a respectable score with the Predom.

A bit more work and finding the best pellet to suite it could yet pay dividends, and Phil already has ideas about fitting a trigger shoe to improve the feel and to reduce the pain of the pinched trigger finger.

The pistol also needs a fair bit more use yet to get it bedded-in, it has been sleeping since 1977, and has not woke up yet!

I have seen Phil squeeze results out of basic pistols that I would not have thought possible, so don't write the Predom off yet.........................
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 pm

My latest trial has been with Eley Wasps, which were giving 3/4" groups at yards.

Given the low power of the Predom, I think I could make Eley Wasp wadcutters by shooting them twice, the first time being against a steel plate to flatten them.  :lol:

Still trying to source a suitable trigger shoe, but I might have a go at making one, as I have some aluminium.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zooma

Post by zooma » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:37 am

Have you tried Hobby or Geco ?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Not yet, but it does seem more of a "roundhead" pellet gun that a target pellet.  :lol:

I do have ample of both, though, so shall give them a go.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:19 pm

pmh:2608 wrote:Not yet, but it does seem more of a "roundhead" pellet gun that a target pellet.  :lol:

Kind regards,

Phil
Umarex do a domed lightweight pellet i use i them in my "izzie" give tight groups also they are very cheap from JSR, atb, M.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:20 pm

I shall have to look them up.

I haven't used domed pellets for some time now, so have lost touch with what's available.

Might even give the old Marksman a go.

Used to get a box of 200 from the local fishing shop for my Gat.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:36 am

pmh:2608 wrote:Not yet, but it does seem more of a "roundhead" pellet gun that a target pellet.  :lol:

Kind regards,

Phil
Thats an interesting observation, but lets hope we can find a semi-wadcutter that it does like.

If you do find a way of "taming the beast" we need a target pellet to cut a clean hole to achieve the best score - as I think it will neeed all the help it can get! :lol:

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:39 am

pmh:2605 wrote:My latest trial has been with Eley Wasps, which were giving 3/4" groups at yards.

Phil
.................3/4" group at TWO yards was it?    :?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:43 pm

:lol: should have been.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH