Best classic

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Re: Best classic

Post by Tank » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:51 pm

zooma wrote: Wow - £285 for a tinplate Diana pop-out ?...............you could have mine for £284 and save yourself a quid :lol:

I know there are not so many about in nice condition any more - but £285 is outrageous

I must say, I was quite shocked. I happened to be passing a very well known major dealer that I hadn't visited in probably twenty years. I was very disappointed at what I found and no interest was really being directed at the shop which is large but frankly looked shabby. The only thing of interest seemed to be "the Internet" - which is fine but if you are going to have premises at least show a little interest.

First impressions still count for a lot!
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:05 am

There is no choice, its clearly the FWB 65! It revolutionised target shooting, it was both a superb design and beautifully made, a true piece of genuius.
For many many years at competition level they were the only pistol to have. All world records were held with it, the Ladies 10 mt world record was shot with one in 1972 by Nina Stolyarova at 391 ex 400, just think about it you boys shooting classics now, that's near enough a 98 average! She shot with a 65 using the old black plastic grips and a bit of filler, no nice walnut adjustable grips! To put it into context the current Ladies world record is 393 shot with a PCP Steyr LP10.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:35 am

RobinC wrote: To put it into context the current Ladies world record is 393 shot with a PCP Steyr LP10.

Several hundreds of thousands of pounds - and two points!

It really does put it in context.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:20 am

Yep! My vote also goes for the FWB65. :clap: The 'Giss' system pistols are O.K. but there can be problems with the barrel line up. :think:

As for the Gat. True, it introduced a lot of people into shooting but I bet it also put a few people off! :roll: Personally, I wouldn't give a Webley pistol house room. :naughty:

The Hammerli pistols are nice and ooze quality. :drool:

ATB
Ian :D
Sec/founder Rivington Riflemen. www.rivington-riflemen.eu

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Another vote for the FWB65! I love the sliding action concept, simple, elegant and efficient.

The Giss system Diana pistols are great but they lack the elegance of the FWB. The Giss system makes for a sweet action but it bothers me that half the mechanical action essentially goes to waste - the rear piston does nothing apart from counterbalance the main one. Why does it bother me? Dunno... maybe because I just don't like waste.

If it worked like a Whiscombe that would be great... but it would be a struggle to put it in a manageable package in an air pistol.