Aeron Chameleon

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Aeron Chameleon

Post by Tank » Wed May 08, 2013 6:04 pm

This is a quote from an article a chap called Warren did over on Target Talk back in 2004:
The Chameleon was developed directly from the 5-shot B96. This is why it cocks itself automatically. The trigger is a long roll typical of many Euro semi autos, the theory being you keep the finger moving smoothly, and timed and rapid fire is a lot more successful. Of course some people find being positive on trigger release and NOT stopping more difficult in slow fire. Basically, if you adopt a stop/start approach with a roll trigger the results won't be very good. On the other hand, driving the trigger, and "steering" the front sight with the trigger movement, resulting in a quicker release, can work spectacularly well.
I have asked for a bit of help with this and one of the shooters over there, Isabel, came back with this:
This article contains the essential elements of using a roll trigger. You need to learn to be very aggressive with the roll, as stopping and starting your pull again, leads to disaster.

In slow fire, is is easy to develop a hesitation error, and the best drill I have found is to practice slow fire with turning targets, and only allow yourself enough time with the target facing to get the shot off quickly and smoothly. I would suggest no more than six to eight seconds if you start at the ready position, less if you start with the gun up, as the target turns.
Lacking a Turning Target facility I have myself a timer! I am going to try this at the club tomorrow as I have really good days with the Chameleon and really, well, mediocre days. I dropped myself in the cart last week with it as I took my B96 to the club by mistake - it is an easy mistake to make, honest! My Chameleon is black, the same as my B96 AND i was in a rush :oops: - and I didn't take any magazines! so I will choose carefully tomorrow :oops:
Last edited by Tank on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Aeron Chameleon

Post by micken » Wed May 08, 2013 10:50 pm

Interesting reading, I've had a Drulov DU-10 for nearly two weeks now and I'm finding that rolling the trigger like this works well. I've shot a number of 5 shot strings that have grouped within the 9 ring on a standard ISSF 10m target (not the rapid fire one). I've done this often enough to realise that it's a technique that works well, one to practise and improve on. It's one that I'll research further.

Cheers,

Mick

peteswright

Re: Aeron Chameleon

Post by peteswright » Thu May 09, 2013 7:05 am

I have a Beeman P17 (HW40 clone) and this has what I assume is a rolling trigger, as in, there is take up, then roll, then release. I do like it for smooth trigger practice, steering the front sight until shot breaks. All my other pistols have take up then a sudden break. The HW40 has a trigger like the other guns with take up then break. My 357 in DA is obviously a rolling trigger, and I've all on keeping from shaking until the break. Good practice though.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Gamo PR45, P17s, 1377, SMK rifle, HW 40, HW 45, HW 75, Gamo AF10, Hatsan mod 25, Tanfoglio Witness, Crosman 357, Browning Buckmark. Webley tempest. John Beatie holsters.