FAS 604

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Re: FAS 604

Post by zunmik » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:01 pm

RobinC wrote:There you are Bob,
I'm not the only loon who polishes! Yo can't beat a bit of bling!

I can't put the piccy of mine on here, its outside the limit and I'm not clever enough to alter it, but is polished the other way around, the frame blinged the, the barrel black. I think it looks nice but then I'm a sad old fart!
Zunmit
To set up the trigger, I presume you know that there is a dry fire stage with the FAS, just cock back until you hear a click and then close, it will then dry fire with out fully cocking and discharging air. It just cocks the trigger and you can do all your set up like that. The best routine is to get a start points, take the travel screw (2) back a/c until you have a reasonable travel, and the back stop (5) in c/w so its clear, then set 2nd stage (4) back a/c so that the gun fires but don't go for a fine sear point yet, you just want the screw contacting, actually just like it shows in the drawing (but you can't see it!). Then adjust in the 1st stage (3) so you have a 1st stage, dont bother too much about the length you want the 1st stage as it will alter as you fine tune the sear (4). If you are really jammy you may have set them spot on , but unlikely! Now go back to the sear 4 and carefully take it in c/w a 1/4 turn a time and try it feeling for a crisp let off, as you go in you will alter the first stage as well shortening it, so as that shortens slowly take that (3) in to maintain a first stage. If you go too far you will make the 1st stage the 2nd and it will trip immediately, this shows that you have both in too far and need to back both off and start again. As you get close to crisp, adjust 4 in much less than 1/4 turns. Phew! it may take a few abortive trys but when you get that ballance between the two it will be crisp. You will reach a point when you will be just finely tweaking 3 and 4 together, one in one out, its a feel thing and you may lose the will to live during the process! When crisp, don't touch 4 or 3 again and adjust 2 in c/w to get the length of first stage travel to your taste. Then bring out the back stop 5 so the trigger movement stops just as the sear breaks with no overtravel. If you don't lose the will to live during the process you will get a fabulous trigger, mine is as good as any thing I have including Steyr electronics.
I finally got to have a go @ the Fas last week thanks to your great instructions it went very well, its not quite "crisp" yet, but much better than before its just a matter of the final tweaks over time, I am now managing some very tight groups best for a long time (not always in the right place :oops: ), but did do very well on the bell target with it so well pleased, M. :handgestures-thumbupright: :D
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Vyand

Post by Vyand » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Aesthetically it looks a lot better than the Gamo Compact.
I'm told the build quality and finish is better.
Another one for my wishlist :)

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:31 pm

Vyand wrote:Aesthetically it looks a lot better than the Gamo Compact.
I'm told the build quality and finish is better.
Another one for my wishlist :)
It is better than the Compact in all areas especially the trigger, heft, & hold, however I still think the compact is a great pistol I continue to shoot mine & the results are not far behind the Fas, but so it should be I've been shooting the Compact for over twenty years, M.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:28 pm

I'll be giving my Compact a go for July's 6 yard MPL.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:54 pm

pmh wrote:I'll be giving my Compact a go for July's 6 yard MPL.

Kind regards,

Phil

:hand: Ahem - I think you will need a second entry to do this - your Model 10 needs the exercise
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:18 pm

pmh wrote:I'll be giving my Compact a go for July's 6 yard MPL.

Kind regards,

Phil
Why not if you've tweaked the trigger the Compact can do some very nice groups, good luck, M. :handgestures-thumbupright:

zooma

Post by zooma » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:22 am

One of the RMTC members Richard Stiles has used a FAS 604 for the last two years and has no problems holding his own against all of the PCP pistols in the club.

On the odd occasion that he is able to get to the club (due to work and family commitments), what is even more annoying to the PCP brigade is that he never practices and can only fit in the competition cards he has to shoot after working late and putting the kids to bed - usually arriving just before we close.

Not exactly ideal conditions for him, but his 604 certainly shoots very well and he has no plans to shoot anything else !

The FAS 604 is a very "user-friendly" self contained match air pistol that suits somebody like Richard who never knows when (or if) he will be able to get to the club and never has to worry or plan filling cylinders etc as the pistol is always ready to go.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:23 am

zooma wrote: The FAS 604 is a very "user-friendly" self contained match air pistol that suits somebody like Richard who never knows when (or if) he will be able to get to the club and never has to worry or plan filling cylinders etc as the pistol is always ready to go.
For me, this is one of the big attractions of the FAS 604/606 pistols and single stroke pneumatics in general. All you need is the gun and a tin of pellets. As it has no compressed air or CO2 cylinders in the equation this is also a massive plus point if travelling as you can easily fall foul of airline rules regarding pressure cylinders.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Tank wrote:
zooma wrote: The FAS 604 is a very "user-friendly" self contained match air pistol that suits somebody like Richard who never knows when (or if) he will be able to get to the club and never has to worry or plan filling cylinders etc as the pistol is always ready to go.
For me, this is one of the big attractions of the FAS 604/606 pistols and single stroke pneumatics in general. All you need is the gun and a tin of pellets. As it has no compressed air or CO2 cylinders in the equation this is also a massive plus point if travelling as you can easily fall foul of airline rules regarding pressure cylinders.
I fully endorse these comments I like all self contained guns the Fas, Compacts, 6M, Walther Lgr, etc, but I do also like my co2 target pistols I must dig them out I've not used them much lately, M.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:36 pm

I have today completed tweaking the trigger, and now have a Superb 2 stage trigger with the second stage very crisp indeed I am delighted. All thanks to RobinC for his superb instructions which made a possible tricky operation easy, I have just got back from the club where I've been ringing bells, and getting good groups on paper. Just to put the cream on top I left the Walther rifle at home & took the "Izzie"
for a change & had a good bell ringing session with that too, M. :D

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:13 am

zunmik wrote:I have today completed tweaking the trigger, and now have a Superb 2 stage trigger with the second stage very crisp indeed I am delighted. All thanks to RobinC for his superb instructions which made a possible tricky operation easy, I have just got back from the club where I've been ringing bells, and getting good groups on paper. Just to put the cream on top I left the Walther rifle at home & took the "Izzie"
for a change & had a good bell ringing session with that too, M. :D
What is this "Izzie" of which you speak? And do you have pics?
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.

slofyr

Post by slofyr » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:33 am

Tank wrote:
zunmik wrote:What is this "Izzie" of which you speak? And do you have pics?
I assume the IZH46m http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Baikal/IZH46M.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Being an FAS 604 shooter since the 80's, I'm going to bump this thread back to life. IMO, this outstanding air pistol is a sleeper that does not get the recognition it truly deserves. Over the years I've owned many SSP AP's and the 604 still shines for me and is one I continue to shoot today. If you have to opportunity to try one, don't pass it up.

In the US, Chiappa has apparently obtained the right to distribute the 604 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx9VkhoCNVQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it is supposed to appear this year. Airguns of Arizona http://tinyurl.com/p3debth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and Larry Carter http://tinyurl.com/3dfjlo7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; currently sell it.

Strip and rebuild info showing the brilliant design and simplicity http://home.comcast.net/~fc60net/FAS/FA ... ebuild.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Photo of two gems....

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Interesting to see it side by side with the .22 version.

Which raises quite a nice question.

How many pistols have both an air and centre fire/rim fire version? (Of course, excluding the CO2 replicas by Umarex, etc.)

The Browning Buckmark is the first one that springs to mind.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:31 pm

Left hookers too which is double unusual!
I am going to start looking for one, a 604 that is, as I shoot my friends occassionally and it is quite a different gun to my 606.
It comes as no surprise to anyone who shoots one of these as to why they are so accurate. They are simple in design and function but above all they are consistant.
graham.

slofyr

Post by slofyr » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:39 pm

Tank wrote:Left hookers too which is double unusual!...
A couple decades back I had to switch to LH because of a shoulder problem so retro-fitted the LH grips. Not sure who made the LH grips but they feel like Morinis.

Tank wrote:... I shoot my friends occassionally and it is quite a different gun to my 606.....
IMO, it seems as if FAS designed the 604 to be a trainer for the 602. The handling similarities between the two is too coincidental. I don't shoot the 602 much anymore because parts are nearly impossible to find. I've since owned a Pardini SPe and now a Benelli 95e and the 604 is still a close match to those 22lr standard pistols. Just like the IZH46 is a fine trainer for a 50-meter Free Pistol.

The 604 is highly underrated. Most of the hot-shots in the competition scene are using PCPs saying that a SSP raises the heart rate. I've shot SSPs since the 80's and never had such a problem, so tend to think those gents are caving to the marketing pitch, and/or status. The 604 will punch out a 10-ring at 10-meters just as well. Why bother with all the spendy paraphernalia associated with operating a PCP, IMO it's just unnecessary bling.