Target Recoiling Springer

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Nyctophiliac
Re: Target Recoiling Springer

Post by Nyctophiliac » Wed May 15, 2013 2:34 pm

zooma wrote: I am very surprised and impressed that they may be capable of scoring as well as the undoubtable class leader in the kicker class - the GAMO underlevers.
Me too. Watch me crash and burn with mine in the MPL!!!

zooma wrote:I will need to test and see what pellets they like the best, but so far I have found that all of the "classic" pistols seem to respond best to the "classic" Meisterkugeln pellets that were the best during the similar time period - so I guess there is some understandable logic in the results I can see when using them in "classic" pistols now.
Apparently these are the same as the H&N pellets. I have a couple of tins on their way to me now.

ikarma70

Post by ikarma70 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:45 am

Personally i would buy an original mod.5 .177.

Its quality, well build and doesnt recoil too bad iirc.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat May 18, 2013 8:36 am

ikarma70 wrote:Personally i would buy an original mod.5 .177.

Its quality, well build and doesnt recoil too bad iirc.
Quite agree.

Lovely trigger.

My first air pistol was a Model 5 bought new from Bagnel & Kirkwood in Newcastle around 1970

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Sat May 18, 2013 9:42 am

I've always had a hankering after an HW70, but I've never shot one.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat May 18, 2013 9:57 am

Adam77K wrote:I've always had a hankering after an HW70, but I've never shot one.
I had one for a couple of weeks as I agreed to help a chap on the IPAS circuit sell it (he wasnt up to speed with photo hosting and accessing BBS etc)

I didnt particularly take to it - weight wise it felt too light for me, the quality of finish on the grips seemed poor and the trigger was harsh

Perhaps it was a Friday afternoon one?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat May 18, 2013 11:32 am

I've always had a hankering for the HW70, but I get mixed reports on the trigger, which makes me wonder whether it is an age release thing i.e. are the 1970s issue better than the later ones?

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

ikarma70

Post by ikarma70 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:19 pm

One of the redhill revolvers member has one and it seems to be a good pistol.

I had a look and a feel of it and it seems like a good little pistol, i would buy one now i have seen one but i stand by my choice of an original mod.5.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat May 18, 2013 4:33 pm

I have a Model 5, and a great pistol they are to. However, they are a trite heavy, especially for a full shooting session.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

ikarma70

Post by ikarma70 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:29 pm

pmh wrote:I have a Model 5, and a great pistol they are to. However, they are a trite heavy, especially for a full shooting session.

Kind regards,

Phil
I prefer a heavy pistol, my 1377 weighs nearly 3lbs as does my modified 2240.

Good thing with a weighty pistol is that you build your muscle up.

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:46 pm

Nyctophiliac wrote:
zooma wrote:

zooma wrote:I will need to test and see what pellets they like the best, but so far I have found that all of the "classic" pistols seem to respond best to the "classic" Meisterkugeln pellets that were the best during the similar time period - so I guess there is some understandable logic in the results I can see when using them in "classic" pistols now.
Apparently these are the same as the H&N pellets. I have a couple of tins on their way to me now.

H&N pellets are nothing like the Meisterkugeln pellets ( other than the fact that they are both .177 diablo pellets) and they are actually made by a different manufacturer. H&N is the name of the manufacturer that makes a range of pellets and the closest type to Meisterkugeln that they make are called H&N Match.

A rival German manufacturer (RWS) manufacture the authentic Meisterkugeln pellets.

Back in the early '70s I did try the H&N Match pellets of the day along with the Eley Match ( also thought to be made by H&N) and they were not bad, but the RWS Meisterkugeln always worked better for me, and I am advised that the current H&N Match are not the same as those of the same name from the '70's and also that they have had a few problems recently with a lubrication issue that have caused some accuracy issues with the new versions as well.

I still find the genuine RWS Meisterkugeln 4.50mm pellets consistantly work the best in most Classic air pistols.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:51 pm

Having recently bought a late "slant grip" Original Model 5 air pistol I would happily add this alongside the Centre and Centre Match as the best choice of recoiling pistol available for accurate target shooting with a "kicker".

Like all "kickers" they need a little practice to get used to but when combined with RWS Meisterkugeln 4.50 pellets the results are very impressive indeed.

If I ever find any others as good as these for accurate target work during my continuing testing of all available .177 recoiling air pistols I will add it to this posting straight away - but at this moment the Centre underlever types and the later slant grip Model 5 are definitely the best I have tested to date.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:30 pm

I'm finding the Baikal IZH53m to be an accurate springer pistol with a nice light trigger, worth considering, M.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:16 pm

I can't believe the HW45 hasn't been mentioned. Not everyone loves its looks but its capability is beyond doubt. Very accurate, good trigger, good sights, good build. I'll never be without one.

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:04 pm

Adam77K wrote:I can't believe the HW45 hasn't been mentioned. Not everyone loves its looks but its capability is beyond doubt. Very accurate, good trigger, good sights, good build. I'll never be without one.
I like the HW45 and owned a very good .177 Silver Star for some time but there has been very few instances where an HW45 has been able to produce a consistently accurate result at 10 meters but they are great fun to shoot and it is possible to get some good scores with one.

As always though in the right hands it will suite somebody very well and they will get good results out of it but for most of us it does not come close to a Centre or a Model 5.

It would be good to see one entered in the 6 yard MPL next season and see how it performs because I think it could be good at 6 yards.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:23 pm

zooma wrote:
Adam77K wrote:I can't believe the HW45 hasn't been mentioned. Not everyone loves its looks but its capability is beyond doubt. Very accurate, good trigger, good sights, good build. I'll never be without one.
I like the HW45 and owned a very good .177 Silver Star for some time but there has been very few instances where an HW45 has been able to produce a consistently accurate result at 10 meters but they are great fun to shoot and it is possible to get some good scores with one.

As always though in the right hands it will suite somebody very well and they will get good results out of it but for most of us it does not come close to a Centre or a Model 5.

It would be good to see one entered in the 6 yard MPL next season and see how it performs because I think it could be good at 6 yards.
Much to my surprise I find the HW45 SS great, & i'm getting nice tight groups with it, as received the trigger weight was very heavy, but once lightened a little it was very good I only bought the silver star as a plinker however its much better than that. M, :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.