Anyone tried this "non grip"?

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
peteswright
Anyone tried this "non grip"?

Post by peteswright » Tue May 14, 2013 10:02 am

Been experimenting again with diferent one hand pistol holds. If I just rest the weight of the pistol over middle finger (like finding balance point) and create a hold round the but, but don't apply any pressure at all with any part of the hand, then move the trigger rearward into nothing (resistance wise) maybe just touching front strap with third finger. I'm finding accuracy improves on both light and heavy triggers. This applies to all the pistols in my signature below. Does anyone else do this? I've always used a firmer hold before but am finding this approach very good for consistency with different trigger weights. It prevents chicken finger too. PS not tried this with TW or 357 yet, but will today.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Gamo PR45, P17s, 1377, SMK rifle, HW 40, HW 45, HW 75, Gamo AF10, Hatsan mod 25, Tanfoglio Witness, Crosman 357, Browning Buckmark. Webley tempest. John Beatie holsters.

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Re: Anyone tried this "non grip"?

Post by zooma » Tue May 14, 2013 10:51 am

...........could be worth a try!

One of the best RMTC pistol shooters - Ian Jones- has already advised me that he chooses to use this (similar) technique on his SAM K14 to good effect - but being a bit of a keyboard warrior I am sure he will soon jump in on this thread to contribute a little more..............very shortly :D
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

peteswright

Post by peteswright » Tue May 14, 2013 11:43 am

zooma wrote:...........could be worth a try!

One of the best RMTC pistol shooters - Ian Jones- has already advised me that he chooses to use this (similar) technique on his SAM K14 to good effect - but being a bit of a keyboard warrior I am sure he will soon jump in on this thread to contribute a little more..............very shortly :D
Would be interesting to hear from Ian and others on this. I find the biggest advantage is with heavy triggers like on my Hatsan mod 25. You just apply steady rearward movement and trigger breaks dead easy (eventually) There's a knack to it but it works well. ATB. Pete.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Gamo PR45, P17s, 1377, SMK rifle, HW 40, HW 45, HW 75, Gamo AF10, Hatsan mod 25, Tanfoglio Witness, Crosman 357, Browning Buckmark. Webley tempest. John Beatie holsters.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Tue May 14, 2013 12:37 pm

An interesting idea i have come across a few people who use variations on this theme, whilst always being taught to use the the pad of the trigger finger, for heavy triggers i try to use the crease of the first joint which i find gives me more leverage for the release shifting the hold slightly to compensate for the usual trigger finger posistion. No doubt the experts will pull it apart, but it works for me, and if non grip
works for you and results are consistent then go for it, M. :character-smurfbrother:
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Tue May 14, 2013 1:01 pm

I must admit I have tried exactly that grip when "getting to grips" with the HW45. In the end though I found a moderate grip the most consistent for me. With the "beast" the trigger release is the most critical though as it is sooo easy to pull off aim if you get anything slightly wrong.

peteswright

Post by peteswright » Tue May 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Adam77K wrote:I must admit I have tried exactly that grip when "getting to grips" with the HW45. In the end though I found a moderate grip the most consistent for me. With the "beast" the trigger release is the most critical though as it is sooo easy to pull off aim if you get anything slightly wrong.
Yep, know what you mean and the problem with any "gripping" grip, is that things can go wrong because of any movement of the "gripping hand" while releasing the trigger straight back. Thats where this "non grip" can be an advantage because the only thing moving is the trigger. Like I said its a knack, but when I do it right the groups really tighten up. ATB. Pete. PS. Try it at 10ft away from target.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Tue May 14, 2013 6:25 pm

I tend to use a medium to heavy grip as I find this gives me better control due to the problems I have with my joints and fine motor control. This really comes into its own at those times when I have to use my left hand due to the need to give my right one a rest for a month or so - one of the reasons I cant get on with match type grips, and ambi ones are important. I reconciled myself to the fact that I would never be that good due to these problems some time ago, but what the hell - I just enjoy shooting!

I did a lot of shooting with an HW45 on full power at longer ranges a few years back before my right wrist became too fragile and after adopting a very heavy grip as recommended by my friend an ex full bore shooter I found that I could achieve great results (well they seemed great to me!) - I tend to go for recoiless pistols these days but do maintain a firmer grip than most.

We are all different physiologically so its whatever works best on an individual level after trying various things out I guess!

:D

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Wed May 15, 2013 4:17 am

Tis true what Bob (ZOOMA) says! :clap: (I would have replied earlier but I couldn't reach the key board. :liar: )

After initial disappointment with the accuracy of my SAM K14 - well, it couldn't have been ME! :o - I stumbled upon the loose or balanced grip. The pistols weight hangs onto the top of the middle finger and with very good trigger control an accurate shot can be obtained. Ive not come across another pistol that responds in the same way but then I havent shot all the 10m pistols (yet :pray: )

HTH
Ian :D
Sec/founder Rivington Riflemen. www.rivington-riflemen.eu

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed May 15, 2013 7:53 am

I.J. wrote:

Tis true what Bob (ZOOMA) says! :clap: (I would have replied earlier but I couldn't reach the key board. :liar: )

HTH
Ian :D
Right - now you have made your reply I want my step ladder back :clap:

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Wed May 15, 2013 9:56 am

zooma wrote:
Right - now you have made your reply I want my step ladder back :clap:
'Step ladders!!' :o :o :o Youve gorra be joking. I get dizzy when I put on two pair of socks. :oops:

Did I mention that y SAM K14 is for sale? http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airsnip ... t=4&page=1 £795. (Never miss a bit of free advertising. :dance: In fact never miss anything free. :lol: )

ATB
Ian

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed May 15, 2013 12:01 pm

The very same SAM K14 that you use the "non-grip" technique on eh?

..............now there's a surprise! :lol:

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Wed May 15, 2013 1:44 pm

zooma wrote:The very same SAM K14 that you use the "non-grip" technique on eh?

..............now there's a surprise! :lol:
Now, now! :naughty: I never said the SAM was inaccurate :o , quite the opposite. Its just that it requires more input than say my Steyr, which I got to replace it. Using several different pistols for various competitions I find it easier to have some standardisation in grip/sights/trigger etc. :dance: Something Im sure you will personally understand. :shifty:

ATB
Ian

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed May 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Using several different pistols for various competitions I find it easier to have some standardisation in grip/sights/trigger etc. :dance: Something Im sure you will personally understand. :shifty:

ATB
Ian[/quote]

I have no idea what you are talking about :hand: