Another Rare Air Pistol

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
Another Rare Air Pistol

Post by Certus » Thu May 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Hello Everybody,

It seems my earlier attempt to directly place a picture of my Parker air pistol within a post was successful so here is another rather quirky design from my collection which would also not win any beauty contests.
This pistol was named the Certus and was made by the well known English sporting gun maker Cogswell & Harrison. Production numbers were again very low with probably less than 500 being produced around 1929-1930 in an attempt to compete with the all conquering Webley design. There is quite a strong possibility that production ceased after Webley threatened legal action for infringement of their famous patent 219872 which is the basis of the Webley overlever cocking pistol design. The Webley patent 219872 does in fact cover the possibility of using the barrel to cock the pistol in the reverse manner to the conventional method but this was rejected as not being a practical proposition. The Certus is one of only three pistols that I know of that is loaded by a tap similar to the BSA air rifle these being the Certus, Abasmajor & a version of the Lincoln Jeffries pistol.
The Certus was Cogswell & Harrison's only venture into the world of air gun design and although well made the relatively delicate mechanism and inelegant appearance provided little threat to the Webley.

Details and pictures of some other interesting early British air pistols to follow.

Regards

Brian
Last edited by Certus on Thu May 16, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: Another Rare Air Pistol

Post by zunmik » Thu May 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Well it would seem you have quite a collection of rare pistols i look forward to your
other offerings of rare pistols when you post them very interesting, M. :clap: :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Thu May 16, 2013 6:21 pm

Very interesting.

I used to know a guy called Chris Wright back in the 1970's when I lived in Exmouth, and he seemed to have some weird and wonderful pistols that were very interesting and unusual.

He used to write for the old Airgun World in those days if I remember correctly..... anyone remember him or know what happened to him?
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu May 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Another excellent post, and we hope this is the start of many more.

I remember Chris Wright, though not sure what happened to him.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<