Air Match

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
slofyr
Air Match

Post by slofyr » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:02 pm

These were marketed under different names and if I recall correctly one of them was the CU400. Mine was sold as the Air Match 600 and purchased in the '80s from Great Lakes Airguns in the US. Air Match packaged the pistol in a high quality fitted, black-leather covered case which was on par with the overall exceptional quality of the piece. This pistol has the best trigger I've ever experienced in a SSP. Although obviously a heavier release than a 22lr 50-meter Free Pistol, it has the same feel of zip movement before the sear disengages. The side-stroke charging lever requires a quickly learned technique of a firm hand squeeze to close the last 15* of travel. Its piston diameter is rather small but it has a long stroke which generates good chamber pressure and velocity to cut clean holes in a 10-meter target. Swinging the lever forward during the charging cycle slides the barrel forward within the frame to expose the breech for loading. Unique in the day, it also has a dry-fire lever seen on the left side up near the rear sight. In my opinion, the 600 was waay ahead of its time. The ergonomics position the hand very high on the frame which lowers the barrel axis and sight line [like a Free Pistol]. The pistol has an adequately light feel and balances perfectly with just the right amount of muzzle weight. This is one of those rare match pistols that allow the shooter to hold like a statue. It is superbly consistent and accurate allowing an experienced shooter to easily punch out the 10-ring with it.

This particular 600 has a custom trigger which was cast in silver and gold plated. I made two of them; the second was given to the owner of Great Lakes Airguns.

This pic shows it with another superp Italian match air pistol of the same vintage, the FAS604.

The manual and other info can be found here http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/spairm600.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by slofyr on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Air Match

Post by pmh » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:23 pm

:text-goodpost: Well done on an excellent post.

I had forgotten all about this particular pistol.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Sadly, the closest I have come to one of these pistols are just pictures.
I would love to have a go with one, maybe, time yet :D

Thinking aloud:

Thought so - just checked the Pilkguns website and there was quite the front sight extension available: http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/spairm600.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks for the post Graham, interesting read.

Mick

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the informative post and superb pictures. The pistol certainly looks the part and the side cocking lever makes an interesting variation. Although full blown PCPs require less effort by the shooter between shots, I have always preferred single stroke pneumatics for the independence they provide from air bottles or pumps.

Regards

Brian

SIG P210-5

Post by SIG P210-5 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:10 pm

I have had a couple of these.Although I have a few other quality target pistols, I like the way these sit in the hand with a low profile.Sold one and kept this one which has really good pressure, so much so it has an extension to the cocking lever.

Baz
Last edited by SIG P210-5 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Great looking pistol, sadly not one I've come across, also some fine pictures, & of course welcome to the forum, M. :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:37 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Certainly a pistol which isn't seen very often.

Only ever seen one for sale before, which was on Gunstar.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

kronosmx

Post by kronosmx » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi, my name is George i live at Mexico City

I buy one 3 or 4 year ago, it has a problem with the valve system, it seems than some body try to make the two levers and is not working

Do you know where can i found spare parts or more info to try to fix it?

Thanks in advance and excuse my bad english

Regards
George

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:18 pm

Hello George,

And welcome to the forum.

I am sure somebody will be along to help, shortly, if they can.

In the meantime, we'd be interested to hear about airguns in Mexico.

Are they the same as available elsewhere, and do you have Mexican made airguns?

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

webley701

Post by webley701 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:21 am

kronosmx wrote:Hi, my name is George i live at Mexico City

I buy one 3 or 4 year ago, it has a problem with the valve system, it seems than some body try to make the two levers and is not working

Do you know where can i found spare parts or more info to try to fix it?

Thanks in advance and excuse my bad english

Regards
George
Hello George,

Your English is fine but you may have a problem finding spares for your Airmatch pistol as they've been out of production for about 25 years.

The British importer/agent (following on from Phoenix Arms) was Frank Kay at Framar in Blackburn UK? Frank now deals mainly in custom knives but he used to repair & service the Airmatch pistols so he may have some spares or advice. You can reach him at:

[email protected]

Regards
Russell

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Post by kj68 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:41 am

Hello Graham really good read and those pistols are spot on and look really great, one day I would like to own a FAS.
atb kj68 :)
Happy Shooting