Original 6M pistol

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Thirdwheel
Plinker
Plinker
Re: Original 6M pistol

Post by Thirdwheel » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks for posting the bent barrel problem and the easy fix. After rebuilding my 6M last week I've been putting in some time with it and no matter what I did grip and sight wise I could not bring my grouping down. It was hitting 30mm above the 10 and I was aiming at the bottom of the black. I took the plunge this afternoon and boyinged the barrel down about 0.8mm and it looks to be better but I only had time for 10 shots. Yup you are right you do have to be careful as it moves easily. Held in a massive vice with soft jaws, block of hardwood on the end of the barrel and three lightish downward blows onto the wood was all it needed.

thanks again for posting the cure

George

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Luckily the 6G has a thicker barrel and doesn't seem to suffer this.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Reports from the JG camp in outer Manchester have confirmed that my 6M barrel is now a lot straighter than it was and following some 6 yard testing it was then shot at a 17 meter range ( length of the garden) when another interesting discovery was made.

The 6M was not too fond of the R10 diet it was being fed and made a reasonable - but not particularly good group at "garden length" (technical term of variable dimension) - but a switch to RWS CO2 pellets changed things remarkably for the better :o and produced a very tight group so at 10 metres it would be very impressive.

We all know that some pellets suite some pistols better than others and that it is always worth investing some time testing to see what suites yours the best - but I would never have thought about trying the RWS CO2 pellets in my 6M but what works best is all that matters.

Unfortunately John did not have any Meisterkugeln to hand so this will be the next comparison to make as the MK pellets always seem to work very well in classic match pistols but the R10 pellets have already been relegated for use with my PCP pistols where they are the best!
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

Thirdwheel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Thirdwheel » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:13 pm

I initially thought my shooting high was of my own making because I had burnished the cylinder with moly and used knox grease and caused an over power. I'm kicking myself now for not putting the straight edge along the barrel to see it's shape and what form the bend took. All I did was put a straight edge along the top of the breech block measured the gap at the end of the barrel recorded it and then went to work with the wood an hammer. It worries me that I may have just bent the barrel at the groove for the shroud retainer. I can afford to bend the barrel some more as it is only just within the sight adjustment now but I will use it a bit more before making any more adjustments or investigations. It is interesting to hear that the Co2 RWS pellets work well - another pellet I've got to buy and try, I've a growing collection and have found some interesting things but I do not think I'm a good enough shot yet to shout about my findings but there really do seem to be differences. Cannot find a supply of Meisterkugeln pellets yet in England but I'm going to get hold of all of the wadcutters I've not got yet got, including the co2 ones.

Best cheers
George

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi George,

Our local model shop has always stocked and sold airgun pellets and currently "orders in" the Meisterkugeln pellets from the manufacturer as they are no longer imported into this country through the normal sources.

This helps the classic air pistol and air rifle shooters as the Meisterkugeln was often the number one choice when pistols such as the Feinwerkbau Model 65 were being used to win almost every event from local to international and to set world records.

Despite the huge improvements made in technical advances of air weapons design and the equally huge developments in the understanding of physical training and diet techniques the world records set by the Meisterkugeln pellets and the airguns used at that time have hardly advanced at all!

The newer RWS R10 pellets have replaced them as the "pellet of choice" with many target shooters in their PCP pistols and rifles, but the older design and shape of the Meisterkugeln often continues to give the best results in the classic air pistols and rifles.

The Meisterkugeln has recently been rediscovered by some of the PCP pistol and rifle shooters and some have switched away from their R10 pellets and moved over to Meisterkugeln (depending on what works best in their particular pistols) so the quality and consistency of this pellet remains at the highest level and is now even considered good value for money!

The Meisterkugeln are also a couple of quid a tin less expensive than the R10 pellets so they are worth a try.

- its just that they are not so easy to find anymore and many of the current crop of shooters may not have even heard of them or know that they exist!

You can see them on this link to the shops online site http://www.rossmod.co.uk/c/2900/Pellets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thirdwheel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Thirdwheel » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:27 pm

Many thanks for that information - I had seen them on the site but had noted they were listed as our of stock so did not order any, I will phone them next week to see what the situation is. I'm amassing more pellets than the local than the local shop!

Thanks again
George

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:31 pm

They have them in 4.50 pistol weight and 4.50 rifle weight.

zooma

Pellet Choice?

Post by zooma » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:32 am

My "new to me" 6M still shot a little too far across to the left at 10 metres after John had straightened the barrel which was a surprise as this was influenced to some degree by the choice of pellets :doh:

RWS R10 and Meisterkugeln pellets definitely pulled more to the left when we tested this theory on the RMTC club range.

A second tweak now has the pistol shooting our preferred Meisterkugeln pellets straight with the rear sight centralised and the barrel looks to be "spot-on" by measurement as well - so maybe it was the other pellets shooting to the right rather then these two top grade pellets shooting to the left?

Changing the type of pellet used can and does affect the point of impact and may need a sighting adjustment to counteract it. I guess we all probably knew this, but when correcting a bent barrel even more attention is being given to getting the pistol to shoot straight and the movement on the target that is influenced by the choice of pellet is another variable that needed consideration. :ugeek: