crossman 2240

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
beeker
Marksman
Marksman
crossman 2240

Post by beeker » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:18 pm

I shall post some scores from a 10 meter postal pistol league achieved by a crossman 2240 in .22 form with a genuine desire to know what responses these scores evoke from my fellows on this site. The scores are as follows 94 , 97 , 97 , 93 , 95 , 99 . from a potential 100. As far as I can ascertain the pistol is unmodified and straight out the box. Is this unremarkable shooting or otherwise, I await a dispassionate assessment.
Bill

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: crossman 2240

Post by Tank » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:23 pm

I take it from the double post Bill that this has somehow disturbed you? These results.

In my personal opinion these scores are unatainable with this pistol in box stock configuration. I have several of these, some highly modified and the standard pistol fails to achieve in two main areas - the barrels are not exactly Lothar-Walther standard and the frames are quite simply not up to it.
Given the total lack of regulation of the propellant on top, these pistols sometimes do produce surprising results - more of the "surprise" variety though and not in the accuracy department.
Personally I love them, you can really get to grips with the basics of how a gun works with one and for seventy five quid, when you break it it isn't the end of the world. But even in my wildest moments of recklessness I wouldn't even consider using one as a "target" pistol.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:04 pm

If it's anything the standard Crosmans, 1377, Ratcatcher, etc, then the out of the box triggers do leave something to be desired.

Are high 90s out of 100 possible? Highly unlikely in my humble opinion. However, it all depends on the target being shot, the distance, and the hold - 1 handed or 2.

It may be wise to ask him to scan and send the targets.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:44 pm

pmh wrote:If it's anything the standard Crosmans, 1377, Ratcatcher, etc, then the of of the box triggers do leave something to be desired.
You are being too kind Phil. The words ON and OFF spring to mind.
pmh wrote:]It may be wise to ask him to scan and send the targets.
Stand next to him and ask him to show you would be my reccomendation.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.

beeker
Marksman
Marksman

Post by beeker » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Distance - 10 meters , Bisley targets , Grip between wrist and elbow or single handed. Five shots per target , best two of six targets.
Targets posted to league score collator.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:17 pm

Hmm, gets worse.

I don't think I'd be able to score high 90s with my P44 using that grip, so I'd say definitely not achievable with such regularity with a 2240.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

mrto

Post by mrto » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:43 am

Whether those scores are regularly repeatable or not the 2240 IMO is the best value new pistol on the market by a mile and those scores highlight its potential.
The only euivalent to it,but nowhere near as versatile from a customising perspective is the Sheridan EB22.It surprises me that another company has not come out with a similarly formatted Co2 pistol it would be a huge success I'm sure.

ATB.

beeker
Marksman
Marksman

Post by beeker » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Keep the replies coming chaps , believable or unbelievable.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:52 pm

mrto wrote:Whether those scores are regularly repeatable or not the 2240 IMO is the best value new pistol on the market by a mile and those scores highlight its potential.
The only euivalent to it,but nowhere near as versatile from a customising perspective is the Sheridan EB22.It surprises me that another company has not come out with a similarly formatted Co2 pistol it would be a huge success I'm sure.
ATB.

Whether or not the scores are believable, I would concur that the pistol is highly customisable. On some of mine the only original part is the trigger guard. So that begs the question - are they still Crosman 2240's?
graham.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Good value indeed, and around mid £60 range at my local. Pity they don't also offer a .177 version of the shelf, as I tend not to really like .22 pistols.

I still doubt it is capable of out scoring some of the top end target pistols though. If he's not far from the club I would certainly call him in to demonstrate his "skills".

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

beeker
Marksman
Marksman

Post by beeker » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:02 pm

A 200 mile journey would seem to preclude that option Phil.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:33 pm

Nuff said, starts to make sense to the conspiracy theorist! :whistle:

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Well I went off to Manchester Airguns yesterday and bought a box stock Crosman 2240. It is, as I type, in the hands of RMSD and on it's way to Bill. I have sent with it a handful of various pellets so we will see what Bill thinks of it.
By the way Phil - who is your local RFD because these are £75 at MAG and I personally think that is quite reasonable to be honest.
graham.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:59 pm

It was indeed Manchester Airguns, but was probably this time last year I saw it.

Very nearly snapped it up too.

Must have gone up a trite since I was last in.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:51 pm

pmh wrote:It was indeed Manchester Airguns, but was probably this time last year I saw it.

Very nearly snapped it up too.

Must have gone up a trite since I was last in.

Kind regards,
Phil

Inflation mate - inflation!
graham.