Feinwerkbau Model 90.

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Feinwerkbau Model 90.

Post by zooma » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:12 pm

I have just acquired a mint condition FWB 90.

This model has eluded me for far too many years, and those that I had heard about were either rough or had trigger problems (or both) so I was never interested enough to travel to see them - but this one really is something else to look at and the trigger clicks over quickly so I am hoping is will be as good as it looks when I take it to RMTC tomorrow night.

For those (like me) that have never actually handled an FWB 90 I was surprised to see that the electronic trigger is set 3 seconds after it was last pulled - ideal for dry shooting - something you cannot do with any other FWB springer!

There is no on/off switch as this is deemed to be unnecessary due to the very low drain on the 15 volt alkaline photo battery (VARTA V74PX). The condition of the battery can be checked by pressing the flush LED that is in the base of the anatomical grip.

The handbook states that "a new battery will last at least 5,000 shots, a very new battery up to 10,000 shots" !

I must remember to buy a "very new" battery and not just a "new" one when I go shopping for one!

The (removable) adjustable weight bar reminds me of the FWB C25 that followed later and the squared shoulders along each side of the wider ribbed flat cylinder top further identify it from the narrower and more rounded area of the FWB 65 and 80 models.

The lower main frame looks similar at first compared to the Model 65 and 80 but a closer look reveals that this is entirely different too.

Maybe the barrel is the same - but not much else - so this is a real surprise because (like most of us I suspect) I always thought that the Model 90 was just a Model 80 with an electronic trigger but this is much more than that as most of the pistol has been completely re-engineered !
Last edited by zooma on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

zooma

Re: Feinwerkbau Model 90.

Post by zooma » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Do any of our air pistol historians have a magazine test or review of the FWB Model 90 by any chance?

It would be really good to find out what the reviewers of the day thought about this new fangled electronic trigger system !

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Interesting Production Information:

Model 65 Mk 1 and Mk2. 1965 - 2001. 145,000 produced.

Model 80. 1977 - 1983. 48,000 produced.

Model 90. 1982 - 1992. 20,000 produced.

These figures came as a surprise to me.

What happened to the 20,000 Model 90 pistols? If these figures are correct there must be a lot more of them out there somewhere but in reality they are a very rare sight here in the UK and hardly ever seen on eGun either!!

Only 48,000 Model 80 pistols is another surprise making it much rarer than the Model 65.

I have no idea how many of the Model 65 pistols were the original short framed Mk 1 models ( not so many I suspect) and even less of the short barrelled variants that I think were only made from the short frame Mk 1.

Can anyone break down the Model 65 production figures to identify the number of short framed Mk 1 pistols that were made ( my guess would be 20,000 tops) and the number of short barrelled Mk 1 pistols ( again my guess 1,500 perhaps?) and does anybody know if the later framed model ever had a short barrel version made?

zooma

Post by zooma » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Here are some pictures of my Feinwerkbau Model 90 as shown on bobsairguns:-

http://bobsairguns.com/index.php?option ... Itemid=173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zooma

Post by zooma » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:20 pm

Phil and I gave the Model 90 a bit of a go tonight at RMTC alongside two of my Model 80 pistols - one older type with the standard metal blade trigger (that I had just refurbished the grip on) and a very late Model 80 that had the same adjustable trigger blade as the Model 90.

http://bobsairguns.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=73" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I actually preferred the earlier Model 80 with my refurbished grip as it felt better for me to hold and so I shot it better!

I am not brave enough to ball stipple the Model 90 to see how that could improve the hold - but I know Tank had some Model 90 spares and if that includes a grip then I may be tempted to see if he would like to part with it and if he does than I will ball stipple that one as this trigger action really is very good.

In fairness the Model 90 still feels like it could do with a bit of use so I will get a lot more pellets put though it and see how it performs after it is a little more "free".

I am not sure what Phil thought about the 90 but no doubt he will share his thoughts with us in due course.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:22 pm

I do enjoy the end of night sessions where we break out the older classics and put them through their paces.

Last night we had 2 x Model 80s, both fitted with weights, and a Model 90.

Straight away I could tell that one of the Mod 80s was heavier than the other. We shall have to look into this further to see whether it is down to the weight of differences in materials, etc between made dates.

My biggest criticism of the Mod 65 to 80 range is the shapes of the end of the cocking lever. No matter what technique I use, the lever always manage to dig in.

Both Mod 80s shot will, as expected, giving me around a10p sized group. Not bad for my first go in a long time, and also after a full evening of shooting my P44.the supple grip certainly more comfortable to hold, and I am surprised such stippling wasn't a standard feature. I certainly don't think you will find a modern smooth gripped target pistol!

The Mod 90 was by far the smoothest pistol to shoot, and the trigger a dream. It did, however, have a much bigger to frame and I am not sure of the reason for this. Again, my group size similar to the Mod 80.

These groups would certainly come down with practice and could easily match those of a modern day PCP, the only down point being the effort to cock. You would certainly feel like you've had a good workout after a nights shooting.

During the evening, there had been a discussion with regards to pellet weight. Taking the RWS R10, there are two types: 7.0g "Pistol" and 8.2g "Rifle".

I have read that many competition shooters prefer the 8.2g pellet in their pistols with much better results. I haven't tried this theory to any great extent, and intend to in the near future, but I did have a quick go with the Feinwerkbaus.

Shooting mixed pellets, and also individual targets, I could find no noticeable difference.

As such, I do think this is a subject for further debate and a thread of its own.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma

Post by zooma » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:23 pm

I checked the weights of the 3 pistols when I got home and then compared them with a couple of other Feinwerkbau pistols that I have here at this moment.

First I checked the two barrel weights to see if they were the same and weighed them with the end-caps still fixed on each and they weighed 86g and 87g so I thought if Phil could detect this then he should also be able to detect a drawing pin placed under his mattress...........so I checked the two pistols as well as a couple of others:

FWB Model 65 number 126521 = 1285g. (late model with large frame and wide rear sight as Model 80 and 90).
FWB Model 80 number 206901 = 1265g with end cap but no weights.
FWB Model 80 number 225019 = 1277g .......+ 86g weight with end cap = 1363g as shot in RMTC test.
FWB Model 80 number 246901 = 1250g.........+87g weight with end cap = 1337g as shot in RMTC test.
FWB Model 90 number 313328 = 1356g.

These results make more sense of Phils observations as he noticed the 26g difference between the two Model 80 pistols that we tested. (both were fitted with the second option (middle) weight of the three provided with every Model 80 pistol).

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:31 pm

We had a potential new member come to the club on Tuesday this week and when I came into the range ( just a little late as usual) he was already shooting with a Steyr LP1 - this is one of my favourite PCP air pistols so I was already well impressed with his impeccable choice. :clap:

Imagine how this first impression grew when he then started shooting with his "springer" - a Feinwerkbau Model 90. :dance:

Great stuff - just like waiting for a no 3 bus - now we have two of these fairly rare beasts pushing lead down the RMTC range :D