Original Model 5 - Old type with wood stock

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Original Model 5 - Old type with wood stock

Post by zooma » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:13 pm

I recently picked-up a pair of really old post war Original Model 5 pistols - both of them with the full wooden stocks that would have been made between 1957 and 1960 after which they moulded these full stocks in grey plastic and later brown plastic.

I will get some pictures taken of them both as I think they are a very interesting pair that are not in bad condition cosmetically but both need work internally.

One of the pistols has a bull barrel and the other has a taper barrel and both of them need new seals as they are not working.

One of them also needs a new mainspring but Chambers do not have them in stock at this moment - does anybody know who may have one in stock that I can buy now to save waiting for Chambers to get them back in again?

I just happened to have a spare piston left over from a Model 10 rebuild that we did some time back so this was fitted to the bull barrelled one that has a cut down rifle spring inside at the moment and it is now shooting very accurately - but with a kick like a mule !

So now I need another piston seal for the taper barrel one and a new spring for the bull-barrelled type and hopefully this will restore them both to full working order for us all to enjoy at the club.

I do have plans to get them both into a new coat of blue once I know they are working OK as I think they are well worth preserving.
Last edited by zooma on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

gingernut
Plinker
Plinker

Re: Original Model 5 - Old type with wood stock

Post by gingernut » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:02 pm

Really nice with the wood stock.
Cant recall having seen one for sale.

Look forward to pics.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:08 pm

When we get a bit of time we hope to do a series of pictures on the Originals.

So far, we have:-

Original Model 5 - wooden grip
Original Model 5 - plastic grip
Original Model 5 - Model 6 similarity (not sure how to best describe this)
Original Model 6M - plastic grips (both left and right)
Original Model 6G - plastic grips
Original Model 10 - various issues

Should make for a good time line picture.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:52 pm

I actually have two different versions of the 1958 - 1960 wooden stocked Model 5 air pistols - one with a bull barrel and one with a taper barrel.

What we need to find next is an example of the grey plastic stocked Model 5 and Model 6 and of course the more common (in the UK) brown plastic stocked versions of the Model 5 and Model 6 air pistols that preceded the slant grip versions of the Model 5, Model 6G and Model 6M that are now comparatively common.

We already have examples of the slant gripped models and both of the Model 10 types so the missing links in our joint Diana/Original collection are the plastic stocked models.

If anybody has a nice grey plastic Model 5 or Model 6 they would consider selling or the brown plastic Model 5 or 6 please let me know and I will see if we can prize some cash out of the collective pocket(s) to pay for them. ( it's all in a good cause Phil!)

zooma

Original Model 5, Model 6 and Model 10 Family

Post by zooma » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Rather than hi-jacking this Model 5 thread by expanding it across the wider range of Diana/Original air pistols I have started a new thread with this production information so we can keep this thread "on track".

zooma

Post by zooma » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:51 am

Brian has a nice pre-war Model 5.

It would be good to get some pictures of this one here on this thread so we can build a comprehensive reference to all of the Model 5 variants.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:41 pm

zooma wrote:Brian has a nice pre-war Model 5.

It would be good to get some pictures of this one here on this thread so we can build a comprehensive reference to all of the Model 5 variants.

Hello Bob,

Here are a couple of photos of my pre-war Diana Modell 5.

Note 'keeper screws' always a sign of a well engineered design.

On top of the compression tube, the pistol is stamped 'Diana' followed by a letter 'D' in a roundel pierced by an arrow.

Regards

Brian
Last edited by Certus on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:50 pm

Are all the wooden stocked versions marked Diana, or are both available?

If so, this doubles the variations available.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma

Post by zooma » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:46 pm

pmh wrote:Are all the wooden stocked versions marked Diana, or are both available?

If so, this doubles the variations available.
Kind regards,
Phil
Prior to the war there was no real requirement to have alternative brand names on these early Model 5 pistols, but after the war some of the reparations imposed by the Allies made it impossible for the Diana name to be used in some countries ( such as the UK) and so alternative brand names were used to overcome this. In the UK the name used was "Original".

Some distributors also wanted their own names on the pistols ( such as Beeman) and this information is included on the more general thread about the Model 5, Model 6 and Model 10 family on CAPA.

Model 5 post war pistols were thought to have been stamped Diana, Original, Gecado, RWS, Beeman - probably others - I will add to this thread response as I find more information or confirmation of those listed so far.

zooma

Post by zooma » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:30 pm

My Model 5 (bull barrel) with wooden stock shot well after a rebuild with a new piston seal ( blue type from Chamberlains), and as reported it was very accurate but had a kick like a mule.

Fortunately Chamberlains had a new delivery of springs for the Model 5 earlier this week so the cut down rifle spring was replaced with one of these of the correct spec and it now shoots even better and with a lot less kick.

The taper barrelled variant has also now been rebuilt with a new piston seal (orange type) that I bought from Knibbs. The spring on this one looked like it was the correct part and it was also straight so it was just re-lubricated and refitted.

The end result is that both of these old post war Model 5 pistols are now a pleasure to shoot and they are both the smoothest feeling spring powered air pistols I have ever used.

Both need some more use to bed-in fully, but the taper barrel one is delivering a constant 440 fps and the bull barrel type is showing 460 fps so I am very happy with the performance of them both.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:11 pm

I've been following the threads on the mod5 with some interest my own memories is that its an ok pistol, but I much preferred the Hw70 at that time as I found it to be smoother action with a superior trigger. Of course we all have our own views on guns, I don't comment much now as its hard getting through the rmtc on this site. As a matter of interest my mod 5 was with a grey grip which I loathed so I did not keep it long.
atb M. :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

zooma

Post by zooma » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:40 pm

zunmik wrote:I've been following the threads on the mod5 with some interest my own memories is that its an ok pistol, but I much preferred the Hw70 at that time as I found it to be smoother action with a superior trigger. Of course we all have our own views on guns, I don't comment much now as its hard getting through the rmtc on this site. As a matter of interest my mod 5 was with a grey grip which I loathed so I did not keep it long.

The very first air pistol I ever bought new was an HW70. It must have been one of the first available in this country as I bought it in 1970 in my home town of Bath from "Crudgingtons" in Green Street - sadly a business that is no longer there!

My HW70 had a "mottled" brown almost tortoiseshell colour and was my "pride and joy" for many years but I sold it when the Original Model 6 first came out to help me pay for it. I wanted to try this new recoilless experience for myself and it was the only way I could afford to do so at the time.

Strangely enough I recently found the long-lost HW70 "handbook" that I had put somewhere "safe" all those years ago - and it is still in mint condition - it never really took much reading as it never had much information inside it but I am pleased that I have rediscovered it again as I lost it just a few weeks after I bought the pistol and it now brings back fond memories of a pistol I wish I had kept.

At that time my friend bought a new Model 5 with a brown moulded grip and I honestly thought my HW70 was the better pistol - but maybe that's just because I was young and it was my first new air pistol as to be honest the Original Model 5 was also a very good pistol.

It would be nice to try an HW70 against an Original Model 5 (both from the same early 1970's time period) to see if my fond memories of my first "new" pistol clouded my judgement to see it it really was any better than the Model 5.
Last edited by zooma on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:29 am

zunmik wrote:
Of course we all have our own views on guns, I don't comment much now as its hard getting through the rmtc on this site.

You have made 578 posts on CAPA so far and so they seem to "getting through the rmtc" (whatever than means) OK and your contributions are valued the same as anybody else's.

As far as I am aware there are only 3 or 4 RMTC members that contribute to this CAPA thread ( a very low percentage of the thread membership) and you have made more contributions than any of them (moderators excepted - of course) so keep going ! :clap: