HW70

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
pmh
Site Admin
Re: HW70

Post by pmh » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:45 pm

Having not owned one, all I can say is more than likely, but probably not always.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

HW70

Post by HW70 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:16 am

I have recently purchased an HW70 from a dealer who had the pistol in storage for at least 10 years. When I test fired it the first time, the first shot group I got was 1-7/16" c-t-c with five shots at 10 meters which I thought is pretty good for a new spring pistol. However, I noticed after a few more shots, the shot groups spread wider shooting high, low, left, and right without adjusting the sights, and also noticed, instead of firing pellets straight through, it was just lobbing the pellets down range, sometimes having the pellet tumble sideways as it hits the target paper I was shooting at. In other words, it wasn't grouping anymore and lack expected pellet velocity. I even had one shot that wasn't able to launch the pellet out of the barrel. All the while, the pistol was dieseling as any new spring gun would.

My question is, is this normal for a new spring pistol like the HW70 or am I having other troubles with the gun?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Sounds normal for a new/stored gun.

You probably need a full tin of pellets through it before it settles down.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

HW70

Post by HW70 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:03 am

Would you suggest that I stripdown the pistol and clean the piston cylinder or should I let it be and just fire off a tin of pellets to break it in like you mentioned? I'm worried because the groups I get are erratically spread across more than 6 inches at 10 meters with the pistol seeming to be just lobbing pebbles downrange.

Thanks Phil.

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Post by kj68 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi phil that is quite a large spread at 10 yds, I would suggest for safety reasons strip her down and try again, hope you sort it mate,
atb kj68 :)
Happy Shooting

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:48 pm

It depends whether the group is like a shot gun pattern spread over 6", or a reasonable group with the odd fliers spoilling the spread.

If it's shot gunning then I'd strip it down, you could have a damaged piston washer.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

HW70

Post by HW70 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:55 am

Groups improved to around 1-1/4 inched c-t-c after cleaning the barrel and lubricating the piston with a very tiny amount of moly paste. I'm guessing it was the soiled barrel that was slowing down the pellets through that caused the erratic groups.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Pistons should really run dry, apart from the inside where it contacts with the spring.

The spring can have a small amount of moly on it, but not too much.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

HW70

Post by HW70 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:42 am

I stripped down my HW70 after recurrence of shotgunning. The strip down did not reveal anything irregular as the piston washer looks very new without any traces of wear or tear. During reassembly I applied a very small amount of moly paste to areas where there are metal to metal contact (i.e., spring to piston and piston to piston tube). Then, I fired the HW70 again and the shots grouped well again, but, after a number of shots, it was shotgunning again. So, I put two drops of chamber oil through the chamber port and fired again. The shots grouped nicely once again.

What’s your take on this issue? Is it the piston washer lacking lubrication or is it something else?

TheWilding

Post by TheWilding » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:21 am

Just a thought, have you chronoed it?

I've just rebuilt an Original 6M that had been stored for god alone knows how long, and when I tested it I had similar results to what your describing, what I found was the breach seal had become squashed flat after being stored compressed with the breach closed, I added a shim behind the breach seal and gained nye on 100fps.

Its groups are still very random but that is most definitely me, as when I actually do my bit it is very accurate.

From what you describe it sounds like it'll group with a bit of extra power produced from dieseling, then as soon as this wares off its under powered and any anomaly in the system will be picked up by the pellet producing poor groups

Like I say.... Just a thought...

Sean

HW70

Post by HW70 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:05 am

Hello!

You were right. It was the breech seal that caused the shotgunning. I had a breech seal fabricated out of a special plastic material that has characteristics similar to the standard breech seals.

Test firing the HW70 after the installation of the new breech seals resulted to 1-1/2 to 1-1/4 inch groups at approximately 9 meters. It occasionally punctures sardine cans, too, at 9 meters.

Many thanks to your advise.