Civillian variant of the MAS 50 training pistol?

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman
Civillian variant of the MAS 50 training pistol?

Post by Leonardj » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:20 pm

I managed to find this interesting variant of the French MAS 50 training pistol several years ago, and despite my best efforts thus far, have still not found another like it. Most published information that I had found to date offers the same description, in particular the details regarding the markings and the grips. Could this particular pistol be one of the rumored "civillian" versions of the MAS 50?

In this pic of the LHS of this particular gun, two things become immediately obvious. The lack of the factory markings that are usually stamped into the frame just below the barrel, and the unusual coloration of the grips - a semi-opaque tortoise shell effect.

The stamped markings normally seen on the LHS can be seen in this pic borrowed from the internet. The attribution URL for the pic has been noted in the picture.

There are two possibilities for the lack of these markings on my specimen that come to mind - that it may have been arbitrarily missed by the stamping operation, or that the marketing people at the time thought that a "civilian" version of the gun should not have the military manufacturer's name on the gun.

The RHS of this specimen is marked in the usual fashion with "CAL 4mm5 - Mlb 1950" and further forward, almost directly beneath the front sight area, the serial number.

The grip panels appear to be authentic, factory parts, except for being molded in the two tone colour, instead of just plain black.

I would be most interested in hearing from anyone that may have seen a similar variant to this particular gun. Pictures and serial numbers would be especially appreciated for documenting just how many of these variants are known to exist.
Last edited by Leonardj on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Civillian variant of the MAS50 training pistol?

Post by Certus » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:35 pm

Hello Leonard,

Obviously an unusual example of a very interesting pistol. I have had a quick look through my reference material which provides quite a bit of information about the military version, but nothing specific about a civilian variant except that it was available during the last year of manufacture.

As I'm sure you are already aware, a total of only 5000 pistols were produced between 1950 & 1959 with presumably very few making it to the civilian market.

Regards

Brian

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Civillian variant of the MAS 50 training pistol?

Post by pmh » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:18 pm

An interesting and compact looking pistol.

I am not too familiar with the airguns of other countries, and it may be worthwhile seeing if we can do a thread with as many examples from different countries, excluding UK, as possible.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Post by Leonardj » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:18 pm

a total of only 5000 pistols were produced between 1950 & 1959 with presumably very few making it to the civilian market.
I have seen some discrepancy in the number of the guns produced, ranging from 3000 in total, as noted on this website:
http://www.tircollection.com/t7116-mac- ... trainement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(scroll down to about the 11th or 12th post)
I have also seen a couple other references to the 3000 figure.

And I have also read of the number being around 5000 in several different places.

This gun is SN 3241, thus if the rumored "civvy" version was offered in the last year of production, this serial number would correspond with an "end of production" scenario. If the actual number was in fact 5000, this gun would have been closer to mid-production, and thus produced concurrently with the "military" variants.

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Post by Leonardj » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:23 pm

pmh wrote:I am not too familiar with the airguns of other countries, and it may be worthwhile seeing if we can do a thread with as many examples from different countries, excluding UK, as possible.
That could make for a very lengthy thread..... 8-)
Perhaps a few threads using country of origin as the defining factor.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:52 am

Leonardj wrote:
a total of only 5000 pistols were produced between 1950 & 1959 with presumably very few making it to the civilian market.
I have seen some discrepancy in the number of the guns produced, ranging from 3000 in total, as noted on this website:
http://www.tircollection.com/t7116-mac- ... trainement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(scroll down to about the 11th or 12th post)
I have also seen a couple other references to the 3000 figure.

And I have also read of the number being around 5000 in several different places.

This gun is SN 3241, thus if the rumored "civvy" version was offered in the last year of production, this serial number would correspond with an "end of production" scenario. If the actual number was in fact 5000, this gun would have been closer to mid-production, and thus produced concurrently with the "military" variants.

Hi Leonard,

You make a good point relating to the Ser No of your pistol compared to the end of manufacture and possible availability to the civilian market.

My information regarding total numbers comes from 'The Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols' by John Griffiths.

The book also states that Ser Nos 406, 3415 and 3884 have definitely been seen, so the total of around 5000 looks quite likely.

I do like the the idea of the breech area becoming exposed for loading as part of the cocking process.

Regards

Brian
Last edited by Certus on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Leonardj wrote:
pmh wrote:I am not too familiar with the airguns of other countries, and it may be worthwhile seeing if we can do a thread with as many examples from different countries, excluding UK, as possible.
That could make for a very lengthy thread..... 8-)
Perhaps a few threads using country of origin as the defining factor.
Possibly for some countries. As a compromise it might be best starting with a few of the most popular examples from around the world.

I'll start a new thread.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<