DRULOV DU10 / ZAVASTA GP45

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Aitchy
Re: DRULOV DU10 / ZAVASTA GP45

Post by Aitchy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:39 am

Interesting! I have a Du-10 which has exhibited all of these problems (except automatic fire) at one time or another. Pellet selection seems to be critical, but with everything checked and serviced, the best I can get reliably is four pellets delivered correctly. Load 5 and it becomes unpredicatable. An added safety issue is that some pellets will jam, making it possible to assume there has been a multiple shot when there has been a missfire. I've taken to opening the breach and sliding a cleaning rod up the barrel in these instances 'just in case', it would otherwise be all too easy to put the pistol away with a pellet in the barrel. It's accurate, it's fun, but it's not without problems.

As best as I can make out, the system works on the basis that a claw in the barrel catches the skirt of the front pellet and holds it in place. Gas is introduced behind the head of the pellet and nudges it past the claw on firing so that the pellet is then ahead of the gas inlet. As the pellet travels down the barrel the back pressure re cocks the pistol and the spring in the bolt pushes the second pellet forward. If the second pellet isn't caught by the claw there will be a multiple shot with two or more pellets discharged at the same time (usually leaving just one hole in the target). If a pellet is held too frirmly by the claw, it jams. The 'automatic fire' problem is different and (I think) trigger related.

The system is clever. The engineering isn't. Are there any better pistols with this system?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:44 am

Not the same loading system, but the Aeron BRNO B96, Steyr LP5,Steyr LP50 spring to mind for 5 Shot pistols. The price tag does reflect the quality.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

gingernut
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gingernut » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:33 pm

Not the same system Phil.
A better one!?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:53 pm

True, but I don't think there are any other pistols that use the DU10 system, and probably for very good reasons.

I've tweaed my previous post to remove any confusion.

All the pistols I mentioned use a sideways moving "box" magazine, and this does seem the best method for consistency.

Most clubs always raise an eyebrow when somebody arrives with a DU10, and my last one bannd them outright. Not only for the potential of full auto, but also because they dump the remaining gas when the pressure drops, which can be off putting to the next shooter. This had also been mistaken for full auto by the uninitiated.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

gingernut
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gingernut » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:00 pm

Don't know what your club would make of a Crosman 600 then!
Also many co2 pistols vent gas when finishing.
I am tempted to call that Clubs members girls but am not allowed to these days.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:30 pm

You had to be there!

Our latest club allows any legal airgun, as long as it is handled and shot safely.

I have never seen the point in having rules that greatly limit the guns that can be used.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

gingernut
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gingernut » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:37 pm

Our club has two rules.
1. Don't shoot anyone
2. I am the Boss
As I am the Boss it is difficult to pass new rules.