Steyr LP1 and LP1P

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Steyr LP1 and LP1P

Post by zooma » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:42 pm

The Steyr LP1 was the fore-runner to the LP10 that eventually replaced it and it is a very interesting match air pistol that has a dual identity.

The LP1 was available as a CO2 powered pistol and as a PCP air powered pistol when it is known as the LP1P.

Both pistols are identical except that one had CO2 cylinders and the other had PCP cylinders. Either could be readily converted from CO2 to air or visa-versa just by changing the small cylinder adaptor that the cylinders screwed into.

The CO2 cylinders were made from steel and so they were heavier than the alloy PCP cylinders but Steyr also made some CO2 cylinders in alloy so this closed the weigh difference a fair bit.

Both pistols shoot beautifully and for me at least the grip is even better than the newer LP10 grip (although that is also very comfortable and shared on the LP2 as well).

We have 4 of these LP1 pistols in use at RMTC - 3 of them are air powered LP1P and one is a CO2 powered LP1 and they are all still going strong.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

RobinC

Re: Steyr LP1 and LP1P

Post by RobinC » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi Bob
If the alloy Co2 cylinder you have is the one I sent you, that is not a production cylinder it was a prototype that they supplied to a few elite shooters, and I don't think they were ever for sale. The one I sent you was from a well known club member of ours and it was used on one of our club pistols for years until that was converted to PCP.
Regards
robin

zooma

Post by zooma » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:34 pm

RobinC wrote:Hi Bob
If the alloy Co2 cylinder you have is the one I sent you, that is not a production cylinder it was a prototype that they supplied to a few elite shooters, and I don't think they were ever for sale. The one I sent you was from a well known club member of ours and it was used on one of our club pistols for years until that was converted to PCP.
Regards
robin
Hi Robin,

Some time after I bought the Steyr CO2 cylinders (including the alloy one) from your club I came across some more of these rare alloy CO2 cylinders - and being aware of the information you had given to me about the alloy ones I bought them as well so I can run the pistol on these alloy cylinders and have a spare of the same type in the case as well.

Maybe they were also ex-team issue ones from other team members (?), but the weight difference between the alloy and steel types is quite noticeable so now I know when I run out of gas and make a change of cylinder I still have a pistol with the same balance.

Previously changing from alloy to steel cylinders was a bit like having a different pistol each time! I no longer have to inter-mix the steel and alloy cylinders so when I use the pistol I can either choose a pair of alloy cylinders or a pair of steel cylinders. :D

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:48 pm

I'm certain they were prototypes so you have a good find, you do of course have Harry in your area so he may well have had some as well as Steyr do very much respect his view, all the current Steyr compacts come from an idea by Harry and he did actualy make the first one as a special.
Have just watched on the interweb thingy our aged club member who donated that cylinder just qualify in second at Intershoot the big Dutch international, 58, bah he's just a kid!
Robin

zooma

Post by zooma » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:47 pm

RobinC wrote:I'm certain they were prototypes so you have a good find, you do of course have Harry in your area so he may well have had some as well as Steyr do very much respect his view, all the current Steyr compacts come from an idea by Harry and he did actualy make the first one as a special.
Have just watched on the interweb thingy our aged club member who donated that cylinder just qualify in second at Intershoot the big Dutch international, 58, bah he's just a kid!
Robin

yeh - kids pick things up more quickly :snooty: