Walther LP3 Match muzzle velocity

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
webley701
Walther LP3 Match muzzle velocity

Post by webley701 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:46 pm

It wasn't raining today so out with the chronograph which is an Oehler 35P & my 'new' LP3 Match.

This chrono has 3 detectors giving what Oehler call a proof channel, in effect it's like having 2 chronographs each checking the other. The box with the readout produces a printed readout as well as a digital display.

The muzzle of the pistol was 3 feet back from the first detector so the velocities are probably slightly lower than those using a chrono that straps onto the muzzle - a few additional shots with the muzzle by the first detector indicated around 350fps would be the equivalent actual muzzle velocity.

I'm not sure what the expected velocity should be. Even if this pistol is say 350fps at the actual muzzle - that's not particularly high (a 1980's test of a FWB 65 showed a MV of around 390 fps). The pistol has had new seals etc so it should be up to par in theory.

Leaving the MV aside the consistency is very good though.

The pellets used were Air Arms 4.49mm. As an after thought I pushed one down the bore to have a look at the rifling engraving on the head - there wasn't much of an impression. I've got the same pellet in 4.50mm & 4.51mm. The 4.50 showed better impressions of the rifling, more so for the 4.51mm but even then not especially deep. The rifling impressions on the skirts were similar for all three head sizes & perhaps would be deeper on a fired pellet due to a bit of expansion from the air pressure. The 4.50mm pellets (or larger) are a better fit in this particular barrel - not a surprise as contemporary pellets would have been that size.

Regards
Russell

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Walther LP3 Match muzzle velocity

Post by pmh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:01 pm

Consistency is the key with target pistols.

All the ones I have chronoed are in the 420 to 45 fps range.

The problem with the Walther LP range is the amount of swept volume available in the cylinder. They are never going to be high powered.

The muzzle should be set last 10 inches from the chrono to ensure "muzzle blast" does not interfere with the sensors.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

webley701

Post by webley701 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:59 pm

Phil,
It's a fair point you make about muzzle blast, the Oehler seems pretty tolerant in that respect though. With a centre-fire calibre I normally set the sensors 1.5m in front of the muzzle but there's still a lot of blast hitting them at that distance from something like a 450/400 Nitro Express but the Oehler has taken it all in its stride & has always given reliable readings. The 4 bore once proved a bit much though as it blew the whole lot & tripod over. :oops:

Regards
Russell

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:05 pm

You'd be surprised at what comes out of an air gun, particularly a CO2 one, and this can have an effect on some chronos.

My Skan certainly resisters it, and will show a warning when detected.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:37 am

The Lp 2 & 3's were never very powerful even in their day and when new. As an SSP the stroke is quite short and its low power also helps it to have a very low recoil. I was a FWB 65 shooter as were most shooting nationaly and internationaly when they were new. I did try the LP2 on several occasions as I had a good friend with one and I had a strong affinity with Walthers (still do) but the FWB 65 was just a better package in those days.
Power is only a modern thing that people seem to be so concerned about, no one bothered then, its a match pistol, it was accuracy we were interested in, so consistency from shot to shot is more important. I would suggest a better quality pellet for accuracy, either RWS R10 or RWS Meisterklugeln and in those days there was 4.50 or nothing!
I changed to a Walther LPM-1 for a while when that came out and that is a lot sharper, I still have it, and is probably the best SSP ever built.
Enjoy you LP3 its a part of shooting history.
Good Shooting
Robin