Daisy 717

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
savantguarde
Daisy 717

Post by savantguarde » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi guys,

Just a little showcase of my Daisy 717 (one of two) as I know there are a few people on here who have some but some may never have tried one. Entry level SSP target pistols over here tend to be GAMO compacts but the Daisy is a formidable option for a low price! This one will be going up for sale as soon as I test it some more and produce a test-card.

the 717 was released in 1979 and initially thought to be something of a toy, all of a sudden it started winning target competitions (So against FWB 65's and such like) and one renowned shooter (Don Nygord) championed this pistol via an article that is still available today: http://michaeljedelman.com/PDFs2Post/daisy717.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and shows that for peanuts, the pistol could out-perform a FWB 65 (in the right hands ofc) Daisy took note of this and eventually uprated aspects of the 717 into the 747 and ultimately the rare 777! (Adjustable trigger and better match sights) but the 717 can still shoot great score and outperform most shooters.

Nygord recommended two core mods: an adjustable trigger and uprated rear sights. The trigger is altered via a screw you have to drill and tap into the grip frame yourself which alters the contact point with the sear, allowing the trigger to be set far lighter than the 2lbs standard. 500 grams is easy to achieve.

So Here is my Example. A somewhat restored and improved Daisy 717 with the nygord trigger mod :)
WP_20140226_014.jpg
WP_20140226_015.jpg
Previous owner removed some material from around the loading area to improve access, so I cleaned this up and repainted, Checked everything else and it was ok.
Improvements:

Reduced imfamous site -wobblyness by adding some material either side so that its a better fit! Simples
Nygord trigger mod. Although my gunsmithing abilities are limited (Ask Tank :)) I can fairly reliably drill and tap a hole in the right place. The whole takes an m4 setscrew which will protude into the trigger mechanism and alter the engagement point on the sear. The problem is that it never worked as nygord described :\ There are two issues, the surface you get the screw to engage two is rather small, and secondly the material is a little soft. So when I did this mod the first time, although it worked it needed constant re-adjustment which made it kinda pointless. the SOLUTION was to ADD material to the sear component where the setscrew contacted it. A very small piece of very hard steel (Stanely knife blade) is added (epoxy) onto the self (machined in as part of the process) and VIOlA! Perfect adjustment and 100% consistent! So The original mod on my other daisy has been right for thousands of shots (A bit over 500 grams) and I have just performed the same mod on this pistol and it seems perfect so far too :D

Also an adjustable stop is added to the trigger which means the over-travel is eliminated. Feels REALLY nice compared to standard.

So there you have it. A definite alternative for the muscle power lovers amongst you, there is no reason why this pistol cannot outshoot FAR more expensive hardware, and the thing I love about the daisy is that it is very simple! and they last and last and last. Once this one is gone I will put up my other one! Its been going strong since 1979! :)

gab
Plinker
Plinker

Re: Daisy 717

Post by gab » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:36 am

I bought a used Daisy 717 several years ago and was amazed at its accuracy. I still enjoy shooting it and after several thousands of shots have not had to repair anything. A remarkable "cheap" (price wise) air pistol.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 pm

It's a long time since I shot one of these.

They are indeed over looked, and are a very capable pistol, but still seem quite rare.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:10 pm

I bought two for the club last weekend for peppercorns. They both shoot really well and I expect them to be used in competitions by a few members. My general impression of their construction and ease of servicing is very favourable. Good pistols imho.

Mick

savantguarde

Post by savantguarde » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:48 pm

Shot a few test groups today and it seems to be about right! shot at ten meters on a rest. Which was harder than I thought! Need a beanbag for that type of thing I guess.
WP_20140301_001.jpg

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:53 pm

You need to experiment with pellets to see which group the best.

I start with R10, move on to Hobby, then down to Gecko.

You'll notice a big difference when comparing cards, and it isn't always the most expensive which is the best.

I can bag you up some of each and post them let if you don't have a variety.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

savantguarde

Post by savantguarde » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:57 pm

Indeed. These smk targets are crap. I think a lot of the problem was that its very visually confusing with the different colours at 10m while focusing on the front sights . This was with r10's (rifle) as this is what worked best in my older 717. But i get the feeling something else would work better for this one.

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Post by kj68 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:44 pm

These are great pistol and I must say really accurate to, I enjoyed shooting mine when I owned one.
atb kev02 :)
Happy Shooting

dnic

Post by dnic » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Just to let you know,

I have bought the Daisy 717, should be winging its way down to me as we speak ;)

David