Running Boar FWB 300

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your rifles.
RobinC
Running Boar FWB 300

Post by RobinC » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am

There is a true rare collectors piece for sale on the Stirton site, a genuine FWB300S thumbhole stock Running Boar match air rifle. Price is right at £550

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Re: Running Boar FWB 300

Post by zooma » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:03 am

The more unusual variants of the Feinwerkbau 300S are becoming very desirable and are increasing in value.

It is also getting harder to find really nice examples at affordable prices although with the way things are going even the higher prices being asked may well turn out to be a good future investment.

The 300 Running Boar is a very collectable rifle and the price being asked is very reasonable.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:36 am

I did have a dabble at this event in the 80's and shot it nationaly for a while, 10 mt running boar is very difficult and demanding but is great fun and very satisfying when you get it right. I had a genuine Running Boar thumbhole stock Walther LGR and when I sold it a few years ago I got a very good price for it.
The event is now called Moving Target as Running Boar is not PC, the targets are now just round scoring rings where the old Running Boar target were little artistic masterpieces, I've still got some of the scale 10 mt ones made by Edelmann, we called them Running Rat!
The ten ring was 5mm, try hitting that when its crossing a two metre gap in 2 and 1/2 secs on a fast run and 5 seconds on a slow run, and you can't mount the rifle until the target appears, its a shame its dropped off in Britain as its a great event.

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:43 pm

Fascinating. I remember reading about Running Boar years ago but I've never seen it.
IIRC you could use a scope?

Did you "chase" the target, like shooting clays, or "ambush" it by holding still ahead of it and breaking the trigger at (hopefully) the right moment?

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:05 am

Hi Adam
Its shot with a scope, due to silly ISSF rules and their desire for it to not look "sniper", the scope must be a max of four times magnification and the dia is limited, yes I know stupid!
The technique is the butt must be below a set height at start, you mount as soon as the target appears and flow across with it and shoot and follow through, an ambush would not work. The rifles are best with a biggish muzzle weight to aid flow and a smooth swing. The scopes were often more expensive that the rifles, slightly modded match 10 mt rifles are the order of the day, the top scopes are twin post and you set the gap between posts so that the lead allows you to use the trailing post dead on as the lead. Its still shot in the UK at Bisley where the British Sporting Rifle Club has a set up. Our club has just sold its set up as no one shot it any more, I think its gone to the BSRC at Bisley. Its still shot internationaly and is very popular in Scandinavia and the eastern bloc, most of the top match air rifle companies, still make a moving target version.

MDriskill

Post by MDriskill » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:50 pm

This is some interesting reading! Thanks for your insights.

One detail I would add is that Running Target required a single-stage trigger action, so this was another significant difference between standard 10-meter and RT versions of the FWB 300S, or other manufacturer's guns.

While typically shot with a scope, I have seen a couple of old East German Haenels with RT open sights! Like the scopes, the front sight had two posts that could be adjusted to vary the space between them.

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:53 am

There is nor was no requirement for a single stage trigger, just like precision 10 mt some prefer single stage, I and those I knew who shot it seriously used two stage and my RB Walther came as standard with a two stage. If any one used a single stage they generaly had the trigger weight higher.
It was and still is a very difficult event, I can't imagine shooting it at any standard with an open sighted Haenel, they must have been serious masochists!
I saw the world Champ of the day, he was from Hungary, then an Eastern Bloc country, shoot a fantastic 50 mt smallbore RB score at an event in Bisley in the early 80's. He used a very rought looking home made rifle with an Anschutz 54 action, scope mounts welded to the action! And a very hi mag scope. He said the movement he saw was there with a lower magnification just the same, just not seen so much so ignore the movement and use the power of the scope. After that I tried a high power scope and once I got used to the increased visual movement it did improve scores but then they changed the rules so we could not use over 4 times magnification on air RB.
1.jpg
Walther LGR
2.jpg
Target
I tried to add the picture of the target but its too big and I'm not PC enough to reduce it! I'll e mail it to Phil and ask him to put it on this thread. Now added. :D

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:54 am

Thanks Phil
The "Running Rat" targets, as we called them are Edelmann, now considered very non PC as the ISSF could not be seen to have an animal target so the 10 mt target is now just the same size rings with a dot aiming mark, but strangely the ISSF 50 mt is still the full size version of this. I do have a few of the old targets left and they are little works of art. They were left facing and right facing and the target system flipped them over at the end of each run so the boar was always facing the correct way but it did add to the target system complexity.
The rifle is my Walther LGR RB which is also quite rare now, they were then only built and supplied to special order. Sold a few years ago to a collector enthusiast. The scope fitted is a Sterling Nickel 4 X with a single solid post reticle, the other one is a variable up to 12 X I can't remember the make, which I used up until the ISSF made them illegal, the raiser we made both to clear the loading port and to get a better head line. The big problem in those days with scopes was they were all set for 100 yds paralax, we corrected it to 10 mts by putting a 0.1 diopter lens in the front.
It was great fun but required an expensive range set up and it was very difficult which put off people who tried it so its really never taken off in this country.