Bell target rifle practice, GRRRR.

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your rifles.
zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Bell target rifle practice, GRRRR.

Post by zunmik » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Been getting some practice in today, surprised that the slavia although a great rifle did not group as well as the Baikal izh61 so its the B'kal-izzy
hmmm, after a few minutes a problem arose the izzy takes a 5 shot self indexing magazine, and when you cock the rifle with the sidelever, on the return stroke the lever picks up a cam on the bolt taking it forward to seat the pellet into the barrel, only it was'nt it was sliding pass the cam so that the pellet did not get loaded, and this was happening 3 shots out of 5,
Grrrrr :evil: this was followed by many "oh dear goodness me & oh golly gosh comments" :roll: , after 30 mins of cursing i discovered that this bolt assy was dry & was sticking :oops: ,after suitable lubrication normal service was resumed. I even managed to stuff the 4.5mm pellet through the 3/8" hole. why do we carry on using metric & imperial :? , no doubt my next visit to the club will have them all scampering for tin helmets & body armour whilst i explain that i did aim @ the target all those lights must have been caught by bounce back, unusual though it is for it to happen every shot.  :wink:  M. :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Glad to hear you are getting there.

There seems to be quite an interest in Bell Target shooting at the moment.

Our club should be up and running soon.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:09 am

I know very little about bell target other than having a try at a UBC meet last year.

Are the leagues and clubs exclusively rifle or can people use pistols?

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:17 am

Ian:1134 wrote:I know very little about bell target other than having a try at a UBC meet last year.

Are the leagues and clubs exclusively rifle or can people use pistols?

@ the melbourne club they shoot both pistol & rifle, also bell & paper targets, Good fun, M.
PS a bit surprised how many people have viewed the bell target thread, only 1 or 2 threads been viewed more!. :shock:

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:01 pm

Bell target pistol does sound good.

A Webley Rebel with a diopter sight sounds like a cheap way of getting started, some of the custom rifles are a bit pricey.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Bell target rifle/pistol practice.

Post by zunmik » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:52 pm

Got some more practice in over xmas hol's group sizes are now starting to improve to a more acceptable level although a ways to go before i am satisfied, then i can adjust poi to the dead centre of the target. My biggest problem is maintaining concentration (something i've always suffered with)
when i lose concentration i get punished with fliers till i get my act together again. I realise being nearer to seventy than sixty its a bit late to start a new sport, but hope to start ringing that bell before i boot the proverbrial Bucket, M.  :wink:  :)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:58 pm

Have you tried listening to music, whilst practicing, to help you relax?

I seem to do better with some form of background noise, rather than total silence.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:11 pm

pmh:1170 wrote:Have you tried listening to music, whilst practicing, to help you relax?

I seem to do better with some form of background noise, rather than total silence.

Kind regards,

Phil
A friend back home used to listen to "swan lake" whilst he practiced, but i do'nt fancy standing on tippy toes or wearing a Tutu
M. :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:14 pm

:lol:

I think the tutu is an optional extra.   :D

I've just been reading up on the IZH61, and it certainly looks a very capable rifle for 6 yards.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:22 pm

pmh:1172 wrote::lol:

I think the tutu is an optional extra.   :D

I've just been reading up on the IZH61, and it certainly looks a very capable rifle for 6 yards.

Kind regards,

Phil
It can be adjusted to have a Very sweet trigger, very tight groups & with recoil almost non-existent. Its a capable & cheap starter rifle for bell target, and if all goes well i may invest in something recoiless later as well. Oh & i like its quirky looks "just like me" :roll: , M. :)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:32 pm

It does seem a worthy investment. I'll have to have s go with one.

Diopter sights aren't that expensive either.

The Air Arms MPR seems a good rifle to consider for s PCP version.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: Bell target rifle/pistol practice.

Post by zunmik » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:14 pm

zunmik:1169 wrote:Got some more practice in over xmas hol's group sizes are now starting to improve to a more acceptable level although a ways to go before i am satisfied, then i can adjust poi to the dead centre of the target. My biggest problem is maintaining concentration (something i've always suffered with)
when i lose concentration i get punished with fliers till i get my act together again. I realise being nearer to seventy than sixty its a bit late to start a new sport, but hope to start ringing that bell before i boot the proverbrial Bucket, M.  :wink:  :)
Further practice again today it appears unlikely that i will ever return to tenring hammering unsupported with a pistol :(  my knackered shoulder just cant take it, however i am starting to notice that rifle with much of the weight supported by my left arm & hip is ok for 6-8 shots before problems arise with holding & maintaining a sight picture for release, thats enough @ a time for bell target & hope fully this will improve with time so feeling a little more positive, & will switch pistol to mostly Benchrest, M. :)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:28 pm

Taking it slowly, and some stamina training, should help.

Benchrest pistol should certainly be a help, as you can use whatever set up you u cind comfortable.

My left arm is improving, but it's still a long way off being back to normal.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:14 pm

pmh:1195 wrote:Taking it slowly, and some stamina training, should help.

Benchrest pistol should certainly be a help, as you can use whatever set up you u cind comfortable.

My left arm is improving, but it's still a long way off being back to normal.

Kind regards,

Phil
In the last month i've continued with my practice i've found that shorter sessions (half hour twice daily) works best for me with fitness + ageing to deal with, and my rifle is improving (not as quick as i'd like) i'm impatient as always :roll:  although ive got the walther now i am concentrating on the izzy @ the moment as i like the challenge of bell ringing with the springer. Much to my surprise i have again found a way to shoot pistol resonably well, whilst setting up one of my compacts for the benchrest comp i changed the distribution of the add on weights i use, + re tweaked the trigger, lighter & smoother. I have since found that this pistol i can shoot fairly well freehand  :)  so i am going to try this thurs when i go to the bell target club to see how it goes.  :D  M.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:25 pm

Good news indeed.

I think the secret is to take things slowly and don't over do it.

I didn't do as well with my 6 yards comps, this weekend, as I set my target holder too low,  and I got the shakes.

It is much easier with a straight arm than shooting "downhill".

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH