Birthday Beezer still shoots a mean target.

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your rifles.
Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman
Birthday Beezer still shoots a mean target.

Post by Leonardj » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:25 am

This little BSA Light Pattern rifle was manufactured around the end of 1912, beginning of 1913 - so, for all practical purposes, it has just turned 100 years old. I figured I'd treat the old girl to a smorgasbord of various pellets in an effort to determine it's pellet of preference. I dug out a selection of vintage British pellets, and to my disappointment, none of them really performed up to what I believed the little rifle was capable of. Not ready to give up on this very nicely preserved little BSA, I broke out the JSB pellets, and soon had a contender - the JSB S-100 match pellet. Using this pellet, I was consistently able to keep 5/5 shots within the black bull of a regulation 10M target. Given that open, tangent sights and I do not get along well any more, due to aging eyes, I was quite happy with the resulting targets shot with the S-100 pellets.

All the shooting was done from a seated position, with both elbows rested on my knees, at a distance of 10M.
The best two targets shot with the S-100 pellets both scored 43/50.
Not bad at all for a 100 year old airgun.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:19 pm

Nice to see such rifles still around and being used.

Apart from a few material tweaks, spring gun technology has changed very little over the years, which certainly adds to the "if it isn't broken, then don't fix it" adage.

Not had the pleasure of shooting such a rifle yet, and expect it to feel slightly odd without a stock fore end.

I take it this is a .22?

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Beeza

Post by zunmik » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Super rifles i had a go with one a couple of weeks ago, M.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Post by Leonardj » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:50 pm

pmh:1213 wrote:I take it this is a .22?
Oops - sorry - the gun is in .177 cal. - completely forgot to note that in the original post.

I really enjoy shooting the old BSAs and Webleys in my collection.
I have read about the FT matches that are held in the UK in which only vintage and antique rifles are used, and it sounds like a great deal of fun.
Would be great to have something like that here, but alas, there is just not the same level of interest in the oldies here, as there is in the UK.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:55 pm

Bob (zooma) is working hard trying to resurrect use of the older classics.

Always good to dust off the older guns and use them.

The Originals certainly seem to deteriorate with lack of use.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<