SMK 78 Bell Target

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your rifles.
zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Ian:2364 wrote:Unfortunately I didnt get the chance to use it much before having to sell it in order to raise funds for emergency car repairs!

Shame - nice rifle and great value for the money

Cheers
Ian
Understand fully, shame i did'nt know i would have had it i hope your cars ok now, M.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:16 pm

zunmik:2366 wrote:
Ian:2364 wrote:Unfortunately I didnt get the chance to use it much before having to sell it in order to raise funds for emergency car repairs!

Cheers
Ian
Understand fully, shame i did'nt know i would have had it i hope your cars ok now, M.
Thanks Mick - cars now fixed, thank goodness as I rely on it to get to work

Next month I need to start the slow process of building up my stock of guns again - most have gone to fund this and other pressing commitments

Cheers
Ian

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Ian:2367 wrote:
zunmik:2366 wrote:

Cheers
Ian
Thanks Mick - cars now fixed, thank goodness as I rely on it to get to work

Next month I need to start the slow process of building up my stock of guns again - most have gone to fund this and other pressing commitments

Cheers
Ian
Understand that too, back in the days when i had a mortgage,
kids, & bills i had to do the same more than once :( , but hey your turn will come. Now i have cash can't find much i fancy i've had most that i like.
Still got SWMBO looking over my shoulder though, :lol:  M. (Oh the joy of being retired & married) :roll:

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: 78 target

Post by zunmik » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:56 pm

zunmik wrote:Looking forward to future updates on this rifle, i came so close to buying one, M. :)
Well I have now bought a similar one, I didn't fancy the trip to wales to get one, or the huge rfd handling fee's :roll: , from my local rfd I bought the TH78D "de-luxe thumbhole version", plus have ordered the welshwilly tune up kit to raise it to the same spec as Ian's 78. I shall also need to fit diopters later, I first polished & adjusted the trigger 3 adjustments available, pull weight, travel, & trigger stop screw, initial groups were very good so will persist with the open sights until all the tune ups are completed. I did have to sort a different pair of glasses the ones I use for pistol or with the diopters did not give a good sight picture with the open sights as the rear sight is that much further away from my eyes :roll: . I have been surprised @ early very good results it normally takes me a while to settle into a new gun, this purchase became necessary due to continuing shoulder problems so the LGR has sadly gone, but am never the less delighted with the TH78D which I have found I can shoot for long periods with out tiring I shall continue to shoot the "izzie" rifle to, though when completed the 78 will become my main bell target rifle plus I shall continue to shoot my pistols in both bell & paper target shoots.
Overall I am delighted with the 78, and look forward to future tuning & stripping of the rifle as I feel doing it myself will be very satisfying, and if the hoped for improvements in my rifle shooting comes from it that will just increase my pleasure of using it. These are a very accurate recoilless rifle and from my first impressions I would recommend it, M. :D

P.S. trigger tune & adjustment only takes about 30-40 mins easy-peasy.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: SMK 78 Bell Target

Post by zunmik » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:19 pm

I realise its probably a boring thread, never the less I will ask if any one can recommend a good source for the diopters I need , M.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:49 pm

I have a spare rear that I bought new from ebay. Advertised as Air Arms, though there are no marks on it.

Works well, but I have since picked up the original Walther one.

Only used once and still in original box, I'd be happy to post it for £20 if you fancy it. I can post pics.

The front sights, however, are plastic and mine split on the first tightening so if avoid picking one of those up.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:57 pm

pmh wrote:I have a spare rear that I bought new from ebay. Advertised as Air Arms, though there are no marks on it.

Works well, but I have since picked up the original Walther one.

Only used once and still in original box, I'd be happy to post it for £20 if you fancy it. I can post pics.

The front sights, however, are plastic and mine split on the first tightening so if avoid picking one of those up.

Kind regards,

Phil
Thanks for the offer Phil , but I have a couple of rears its the front i'm stuck for the front sight is screw mounted so there's no rail for a front dioptre so it needs one like my "izzie" uses clamps onto the barrel or a barrel weight with a rail on it to take the foresight, atb, M.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:22 pm

Would appreciate any advice for fitting a front dioptre sight their is no rail, existing sight just screws on. Barrel diameter = 15mm +/-, I am doing pretty well in practice with the existing open sight, but do intend to fit dioptres, atb, M :think: :)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:58 pm

I wonder if the Model 6G sight would fit, as these clamp around the barrel.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:08 pm

pmh wrote:I wonder if the Model 6G sight would fit, as these clamp around the barrel.

Kind regards,

Phil
Not sure Phil the "izzie" uses that system, but barrel diameter is 12.5mm, whilst the th78d barrel is 15mm diameter, and I have no idea of the diameter of the 6g barrel, or even if to small whether their would be enough meat on the sight to open it up to 15mm??. I can get from CZ a muzzle brake with dovetail, but its over £60 without carriage charges, :o ...mike... :)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:18 pm

I shall check my 6G shortly, but thinking about it, I doubt it is 15mm.

I am sure you could something machined for a lot less than you might think.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:00 pm

I have now found a supplier for a muzzle extension (with dovetails) for about £15 so well happy, atb, M.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Sounds like a bargain.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:26 am

Yes the muzzle ext will be fine I do wish i'd bought one of these rifles right from the start now, i'm getting great results, and very important I can shoot for long stints without rapid tiring from the weight of the rifle delighted, atb, M. :D

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:40 pm

zunmik wrote:Would appreciate any advice for fitting a front dioptre sight their is no rail, existing sight just screws on. Barrel diameter = 15mm +/-, I am doing pretty well in practice with the existing open sight, but do intend to fit dioptres, atb, M :think: :)

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I have now fitted the dioptre sights, the muzzle extension with rails for the foresight is the one made for the AA s200 it has a 15mm barrel the same as the "78" I got mine from Chambers cost only £15. The rifle shoots very well, and will do the job for me as its light, recoilless, and accurate, 1 hole groups are the norm though sadly not always when i'm shooting it unsupported, it is the only rifle that I have been able to shoot for prolonged periods for some years so I am delighted with it. I have bought this purely for bell target, it is more than capable of consistently putting a .177 pellet through a 3/8 inch hole. Of course its not of the quality of a 10 mtr target rifle I would never suggest otherwise however the "78" can easily do the job at 6yd bell target. By the way with muzzle extension & dioptre sights cost rise to over £200 you can get a good working 10mtr target rifle for that so its not necessarily a cheap option buying the "78", but if like me you must have a lighter rifle for bell target then its a good option to keep you shooting, atb, M :D