Original Model 75 HV.

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your rifles.
zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Original Model 75 HV.

Post by zooma » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:27 pm

A collector I had become acquainted with used to regularly buy a new rifle and put it away (unused) as a future investment. Late last year I bought this new and unused Model 75 HV from him that had never been shot. :snooty:

An email from the seller told me that he could not resist giving it just one shot before parting with it and reported that it had gone off with a very loud bang :doh:

Anybody that knows anything about Giss system pistols and rifles will know what happened next when this rifle that was bought new on 27th June 1980 had its first shot in 2012. Yes it did go BANG and the original decaying seals were pulped into the end of the cylinder making a real mess.

Our local Original expert RFD (Dave) was given the job of un-bunging it, cleaning it up properly and fitting new seals - and he was quoted as saying it was one of the worst he had recovered.........and this comment was about a rifle that had only ever been shot ONCE! :o

Debates between collectors often consider the merits of not shooting collectable air rifle and pistols and my argument has always been that it is far better to "exercise" them rather than just leave them to rot.

..............I rest my case!
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

zooma

Re: Original Model 75 HV.

Post by zooma » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:43 am

As a matter of interest the price new for the Model 75 HV was £227.75 in 1980.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

bellringer
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Original Model 75 HV.

Post by bellringer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:44 am

Swings and roundabouts on this one; some guns can be stored for years without a problem if you suddenly decide to fire them. The original range is well known for its factory seals disintegrating over time even if used, and the popular 3-in-one oil will actually melt them. However the newer 'blue' seals seem much better so the problem can have a long term address. On a personal note I now have a Webley & Scott Falcon Rifle purchased in 1968 by myself sealed by the dealer and only opened in 2010 for an exhibition, this has only ever been handled with cotton gloves and still remains un - shot although I did put a little neatsfoot oil in the cylinder whilst I had the chance. This rifle is now about to go on sale so I will put it on this site first and see what happens. bellringer