Restoring a Vintage Cardboard Airgun Box

A place to share your projects, technical advice. and tutorials
Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman
Restoring a Vintage Cardboard Airgun Box

Post by Leonardj » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:12 pm

This is how I went about restoring the lower tray of the box for a vintage Sears Ted Williams Match Pistol.

The lower part of the box was heavily water damaged with muddy or rusty water, and then subsequently generously covered in green duct tape, to hold the failing box together. The duct tape was partially dried out and impossible to remove without tearing the box cover paper, and all that ugly green duct tape just had to go. The following pics show the progression of the restoration:

1) The inner liner had almost completely lifted due to the water damage. As the duct tape peeled off the outer cover paper, it lifted the rest of the inside liner away from the box.

2) The remnants of the outer covering - very little of the original black paper showing through all the duct tape adhesive residue. I should have taken a pic of the box prior to starting the removal of the tape, and cover paper, but it never occurred to me until after the the box was stripped.

3) The stripped box. the original corner reinforcements were re-glued in preparation for the restore. You can see the rust coloured staining in the upper RH corner.

4) The new inner liner paper has been glued in place.

5) The new outer covering pAper has been glued in place.

6) Last but not least, the new bottom covering paper has been glued in place. Looks almost as good as the day it came from the factory.

Interestingly enough, the gun did not suffer any water damage, so I can only surmise that the gun was not in the box when the water damage occurred.

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Restoring a Vintage Cardboard Airgun Box

Post by pmh » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:11 pm

Another excellent and informative post.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<