chrono

A place to share your projects, technical advice. and tutorials
Thirdwheel
Plinker
Plinker
chrono

Post by Thirdwheel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Hi all
In the last month or so I've really enjoyed getting back into target shooting and it has done me a lot of good as it is helping me to extract work pressures from my head. Finding there were others that were interested in the older "target" guns that are now affordable, and that they were using them as they were intended is great. Having the focus of competing in the MPL postal comp. is also good as it gives me the opportunity to compete against people from all over the country, this makes me want to get better and to explore all avenues and techniques I can. Keeping a note book etc. etc. helps, as does reading all I can about the subject. An example of how simple things can help at this stage, I received some kind advice on how to hold my pistion after after submitting some poor catch up scores. This made a great difference and I have been experimenting since - changing one variable at a time and slowly, very slowly I'm seeing improvements, these I record in my note book.
I've also decided to try and use a springer to keep with the spirit of the competition as my webley alecto is new. I've now got a gamo falcon (think this is accurate but I've not sorted out a hold that suits it yet but I've not given up with it yet), also I've bought a original 6m and this is very nice but it really has to be held differently than the Alecto, again work in progress. I've also got a FWB 65 on it's way to me, I knew this would get silly.
I want to look at the reliability of the guns and how this effects my shooting and to judge if they need any work internally on seals etc. Do you recommend a chrono and if so what should I think about getting, as I know ziltch about them.

Must stop buying stuff

Thirdwheel

pmh
Site Admin

Re: chrono

Post by pmh » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Chronos can be useful if you have guns hearing the legal limit, but are somewhat expensive.

I use mine to ensure my S400 stays under regardless of pellet, and now flats around 11.2 ftlbs even with the heavy weight Bisley.

They can , however, be expensive.

I happen to have 4.

The first I built myself in the mid 80s,the second is a Combro I got one Christmas, the third a Skan, and the fourth a Chrony I bought second hand as it was cheap.

They all work well, but the Skan is by far the best and most accurate; though the most expensive at around £200.

The Combro is probably the best value, but reps on being attached to the gun, so it is not suitable for all pistols.

The Chrony cost me £60, so if you can pick one up for a similar price they are about the best value.

They can give false readings though, dependant upon the ultra violet content of available light, and it is recommended they are not used near fluorescent lighting.

Fun to own and informative for the scientific minded, but 10 rested shots should give you a free idea of how your gun is performing, especially if you keep previously shot cards for reference.

If you have a friend nearby it might be worth sharing the costs and buying one between you.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Thirdwheel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Thirdwheel » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Many thanks for the information - I will do as you say for now (10 shots rested) but will keep an eye out for one as I've bought three pistols this month! I will get one as I'm a bean counter (scientific). Just wondered if the ebay shoot through ones used for airsoft were of any use - the ones direct from Hong Kong. Trypod mounted and lots of different read outs. Looks like I've found a rifle club near me to join that has an air gun range so no doubt someone there would have one too.

Many thanks
George

bellringer
Marksman
Marksman

Post by bellringer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:38 pm

thirdwheel, Hi. I do own a chrono and yes the scan is by far the best but the price will reflect this. They are great tools if used in the right context, but please don't get bogged down by statistics. I know of several keen shooters who became obsessed with chrono readings to the point where they refused to shoot if their gun gave a ''dodgy'' reading, as it must be stripped down and re-fettled to get it back to ''chrono-correct''. Eventually all of them stopped shooting because their FWB300's & LGR's just weren't giving good readouts. Get one by all means and use it wisely but please don't get 'chrono-itis''. Just remember, enjoy the fun that is shooting; and as I have said before on more than one occasion remember ''Your worst days shooting will always be better than your best day at work'' [copied from my local shooting center]. Cheers bellringer