Sight Riser Blocks

A place to share your projects, technical advice. and tutorials
Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Sight Riser Blocks

Post by Tank » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Anothr "Bob's fault" job.

Some months ago Bob was kind enough to pass on to me a lovely Anschutz rear sight. The snag of course with dedicated Anschutz sights of course is that the dovetail is 9mm as opposed to the regular - more common size of 11mm.
I had completely stripped and rebuilt the sight, all of the components and screws re-blued a lovely rich dark finish. The sight itself is now mint, but I wanted to use it on my 300S. So I had always determined to make an adapter block. The snag was, from all directions, this 9mm dovetail. 12mm dovetail cutters are quite common and easy to come by, something to cut a small dovetail though......

Then rooting around in a box of bits in the junk corner of a second hand place - a six millimetre dovetail cutter! Negotiations commenced and for a modest fee, the cutter was mine. So today I set to and this is what we ended up with:

It was an interesting excercise, you are always gripping such a small amount of material:

I will cut a slot all the way up the centre and allow the clamping force of the Anschutz sight to clamp the whole assembly enabling the whole to be very low profile.

The cutter that enabled the operation:

Great eh! The snag is, now that it is all made and lovely and satiny and that - it has occured to me that there are two parts to this sight thingy, there is one at the front end too......... :shock:

DUH!
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Re: Sight Riser Blocks

Post by zooma » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:08 am

Is that an X3 mill you are using there Graham ?

Nice little machines to work on and good value for money these days.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:32 am

zooma wrote:Is that an X3 mill you are using there Graham ?

Nice little machines to work on and good value for money these days.

Ooooh! No. Nothing so exotic Bob. I wish, but this is my Christmas present from the good lady. Long story, as always.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.

zooma

Post by zooma » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Well it looks like a member of the Seig family and it obviously works well enough so that looks like a great Chrimbo pressy!

Nice one!

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Noooo- is a ikkle Chester. But a bit old school, the handwheels are marked in 1/128ths :shock:

Time to make some DRO's I think:-)
graham.

zooma

Post by zooma » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Tank wrote:Noooo- is a ikkle Chester. But a bit old school, the handwheels are marked in 1/128ths :shock:

Time to make some DRO's I think:-)

...............wouldn't surprise me if it came out of the same factory in China !

A lot of the new workshop machinery being sold by these British companies comes from the same manufacturers - but they paint them in their own schemes and give them their own model numbers.

zooma

Post by zooma » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:02 pm

I had a green WARCO lathe that was identical to the Chester and Seig lathes - it was just painted a different colour and had the WARCO stickers on it.

My big milling machine is a WARCO and is painted in their corporate green colour but the same one is available from Chester painted in grey!

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:02 pm

zooma wrote:I had a green WARCO lathe that was identical to the Chester and Seig lathes - it was just painted a different colour and had the WARCO stickers on it.

My big milling machine is a WARCO and is painted in their corporate green colour but the same one is available from Chester painted in grey!
Yes, I am aware that this is indeed the case. Your WARCO will be the Chester 626, another grand bit of kit. Highly regarded. Just so you know, that bit of Red in the last pic isn't the column, which would indicate a Seig, but a pair of Bolt Croppers, so I can easily cut the lengths of bar up for the Forge :D
graham.

zooma

Post by zooma » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:31 pm

Tank wrote:
zooma wrote:I had a green WARCO lathe that was identical to the Chester and Seig lathes - it was just painted a different colour and had the WARCO stickers on it.

Yes, I am aware that this is indeed the case. Your WARCO will be the Chester 626, another grand bit of kit. Highly regarded. Just so you know, that bit of Red in the last pic isn't the column, which would indicate a Seig, but a pair of Bolt Croppers, so I can easily cut the lengths of bar up for the Forge :D

Nah - I saw the red in the table base and on the head of the mill - I never spotted the bolt croppers - and guessed Sieg !

................didn't know they made bolt croppers too!

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi Graham
Nice Job. Sight raisers are a pain and very expensive, I have them on all my current modern rifles to get the eye line spot on and I think for standing they are close to being a necessity. Quite why they are all different is rediculous.
Anschutz, Walther and Feinwerkbau dove tails are all different, Anschutz changed the front in the mid 90's to match the back, so there are two specs of Anschutz raisers! Walther have the front diferrent to the back and both are different to every body else's! Feinwerkbau are close to Anschutz but with different angles and FWB fit Anschutz but not vice versa! Walther back fit Anschutz back, but not perfectly! And worst or all many blocks do not fit their own rails to engineering standards so that the front sight is often canted very slightly (or a lot!) when clamped, canted often not enough to be visible but enough to make a sizable difference to the sight allignment so all the adjustment is on one side, thats if the back block is not so poor that when clamped that moves the rear sight across one side! And of course our American friends are different again!
Fortunately the British did not have dove tails and fitted sights on all sorts of funny brackets, except Parker Hale with their front sight where they had the dovetail, not only different but at right angles across the barrel line!!
Thats before we get into older dovetails such as Original, etc etc, which are different again! Of the German companies, Walther and Anschutz are in the same City, and FWB is in the same region, you'd think they'd standardise this!
Have fun,
Robin

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Interesting comments from Robin, and possibly the answer to our recent discussion as to what to make on this equipment that could be benefit to the shooting community at a reasonable cost.

A selection of riser blocks sounds a good product range.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi Phil
I was high lighting the variations, there are so many options, there are also many companies making them, some cheap and not so good, others excelent and expensive, probably Centra making the best and fairly pricey, I doubt that other than for specials low volume would be economic.
Robin