Well here it is, the REALLY mysterious East

A place to share your projects, technical advice. and tutorials
zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Titan Globe.

Post by zooma » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:00 am

Anyone that would like to see the Airgun World review of the Titan should try to get a read of the March 1989 copy where the two review page title reads "Match Grade Globe". The pistol is described as the "Titan Globe".

The performance recorded at the time reads as follows:-

Eley Wasp. Velocity 467.2 fps. Muzzle Energy 3.49 ft.lbs. ( a very strange choice of pellet to test in a match pistol).

H & N Match. Velocity 413.2 fps. Muzzle Energy 3.18 ft.lbs.

RWS Meisterkugeln. Velocity 410.6 fps. Muzzle Energy 3.10 ft lbs.

The above figures were shown as an average over five consecutive shots.

The review never suggests that this is no more then a Chinese copy of the Feinwerkbau Model 65 but it does note that it "costs £300 less than it's West German counterpart".

My opinion is that this is a Chinese copy of the Feinwerkbau Model 65 and although it does have some minor detail differences the Titan Globe is such a close copy that most of the FWB parts are fully interchangeable - but of course this could be a pure co-incidence :snooty:
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

RobinC

Re: Well here it is, the REALLY mysterious East

Post by RobinC » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Graham
No need to apolagise, I bought this on a whim and after I saw the bodge on the slide it was packed up in despair and left for almost a year, only when chatting with Bob did I become aware of a man who could return it to life.
Your work is very much appreciated, and what I've seen of other restorations and fine engineering solutions
has been a great credit to you and I particularly like your approach of quality first. The blacksmith comment I dwelled over when I typed it, blacksmiths are craftsmen and a true one would would not attempt precision engineering unless he was also a precision engineer. We have had several examples in this area of so called professional gunsmiths who should know better bodging precision target guns simply because they did not understand them.

I think the pistol missed the boat, by the time it appeared the FWB 65 was out of date and that is surely why FWB were not interested in its purely coincidental similarity, they could have easily sued Titan in the UK if they had wished. The Guns Review test is typical of those done on a target pistol by people with no target standard or real experience, always indicated by their test of velocity and power, and not accuracy, hence the strange choice of pellets. We stock the very expensive Chinese match pellets at my club so perhaps it would prefer those?
The American article is the same and is not target biased. And as the design is so, um, er, similar to the FWB 65, purely coincidentaly of course, we presumably can consider that the weight will be very similar as will be the balance. The grip is similar but not identical but it will be intersting to shoot to see if its significant. Of course the difference (if any) will be in tolerances, barrel quality, and trigger (prawn cracker crisp?). Only a subjective test by experienced target shooters will show how it matches up and it will be interesting to see how close it is, rumour and myth from blind tests in the US suggest that it is at least as good, if not better, but we shall see. I still have my own FWB 65 bought new in '72, and used extensively, its original other than the plastic bits that rotted so will be a good comparision, I've not shot that for many years so it will be interesting.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:51 pm

So, I was taking a break today and checked my email in the workshop. Amazingly there was a note from Robin "how's the Chinky coming along, I miss it"!! :D
I was amazed, because sitting in front of my was the fruit of my morning's work. The pictures will tell the story, interspersed with a bit of commentary :D

Now, bit of marquetry:

Bit of reinforcement on the underside:

Mummified, no going back now Robin:-)

There is half a can of Builders Foam under there, held down with some heavy steel plate.

Best add a bit more, strong stuff that foam:

Hmmm! Must remember to get a bit of board bigger than the hole next time:

So, tune in tomorrow for the reveal :mrgreen:
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:10 am

The suspense is killing me, well? Did it work?
While you're working out how (or if ever!) you can cut the pistol out, how about the ins and outs of the repair and the similarities (purely concidental of course!) and the differences with the 65.

Robin

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:27 pm

Actually, that's it. :mrgreen:

As you can see, he's even fitted the handle. :laughing-rolling:

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Soooooooo! It didn't quite work out as planned. When I was putting this together I thought - Mmmm, need to put something between the material and the foam or it might seep through and ruin it AND if I don't put something between the board and the foam, that'll stick too. So, having calculated carefully I thought - put some polyurathane film between the foam and the material AND between the foam and the board, won't get stuck that way, see!

However, I had done such a good job of sealing everything up that when I took the pile of rocks off the top this morning, I found a bag of foam in my "sandwich".

See, the material doesn't have a mark on it:

The edges had sealed and I had a bag of liquid foam.

<sigh>

tomorrow is another day :mrgreen:
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:24 pm

I have to commend the mascochism, (sorry I meant determination), I'd have given up and used foam by now!

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:03 pm

RobinC wrote:I have to commend the mascochism, (sorry I meant determination), I'd have given up and used foam by now!
Robin, but i AM using foam :mrgreen:
Going to have another go in the morning, picked up another tin of builders foam this afternoon. I have applied another layer of thinking to it:-)
graham.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm

Right, here we go again:

Full 'O Foam:

So, we play the waiting game again and see what tomorrow brings!
graham.

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:42 am

And????????????

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:42 pm

Well Robin, you will be pleased to know it worked fine. It was all a bit of a learning curve to be honest and I can say that this is not something I shall be repeating unless the rebuild in question is very special or the client has very deep pockets. It was interesting and I am pleased I attempted it and especially pleased it has worked.

I did destroy the velvet lining that I had used so I have asked my supplier (mother in law) if there is more :mrgreen:
graham.

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:45 am

Well done Graham,
If it was easy, any one could do it!
I look forward to seeing the write up and perhaps some pics on the rebuld on the beast itself and the case as well.
When its done Bob will do a back to back test with the real thing, the FWB 65, and then I look forward to it returning to my collection.
Robin