Let's Build an Airgun

A place to share your projects, technical advice. and tutorials
pmh
Site Admin
Let's Build an Airgun

Post by pmh » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:45 pm

OK, a bit of a big undertaking at first glance I know, but we have enough skill and a few Model 5s from which to make measurements. Many parts are available from Chambers, etc, and we can also work on a bit each.

So, who fancies getting involved?

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: Let's Build an Airgun

Post by Tank » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Well, after spending an hour on the 'phone with Phil this morning I feel myself getting sucked into a Vortex.
Nature hates a void and I feel Phil creating one, the force is strong.

:mrgreen:
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:55 pm

Graham certainly has the engineering ability, but what is the objective, is it to build a complete gun replicating another? Perhaps with a few improvements?
Or to design and build a state of the art new piece?
Robin

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Well, I have spoken with Phil about this and these are my thoughts:

It would be arrogant in the extreme to believe that WE could build an airgun that is of present day "Match" standards.
Starting out as an "airgun manufacturer" is just insane.
A limited run of a springer - with quality components - would be a possibility.
It would need to be under £200
It would have to be in a style that people would want
The "limited" run would have to be just that. Limited, never to be repeated.

There have been some really successful endeavors in the past. There have also been some real disasters
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Well have to start with dismantling Bobs newer Model 5, to get some dimensions and ideas, then start from there.

Perhaps a run of 10? Would make it a desirable item.

One to chat further about, but certainly a good project to test CNC upgraded machines.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:33 pm

pmh wrote:Well have to start with dismantling Bobs newer Model 5

Shall I bring Hacksaw or Angle grinder?

For the record Bob, you will notice the Angle Grinder in the photographs in the Exotic thread was first broken then fixed - so this is no idle threat :D
graham.

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:21 pm

My loverly Model 5G - (unmolested from new) is quaking at the thought of being stripped in public and having her private parts exposed for all to see :o

It is no secret that despite the strong performances from the GAMO Centre and Target the Model 5 is my favourite recoiling air pistol and it would certainly be a good example to use as a reference base for any limited run "Special".

The innards of all post war Model 5 pistols are the same and this tends to suggest that the design was strong enough not to need any changes and is a good model to compare with any proposed limited run air pistol.

.177 barrels are available "off the shelf" and CNC work is relatively inexpensive and easy to arrange - just as well as this will have to replace stampings and moulded parts as making moulds and dies is not going to be a realistic option on a low volume run - likewise a moulded grip would be a non-starter but a 3D printer or a copy pantograph will take care of this part for us.

I am quite looking forward to seeing this project unfold - maybe I can help in some small way?
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

zooma

Post by zooma » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:24 pm

pmh wrote:Well have to start with dismantling Bobs newer Model 5, to get some dimensions and ideas, then start from there. Phil
I can't find it :hand:

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:37 pm

zooma wrote: I am quite looking forward to seeing this project unfold - maybe I can help in some small way?
I am sure you mean big way. :happy-jumpyellow:

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:58 pm

It would be a remarkable achievement to produce a budget priced spring powered air pistol that could be used competitively in the MPL series both at 10 metres and 6 yards.
This would be so "right" as the MPL series was designed to encourage people to take part in an affordable competition where wealth would have little influence on the results. :clap:

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:21 am

So - I have found plans - I think we should go with the Colt Double action Revolver format:

http://www.john-tom.com/ForSale/ForSale.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:
graham.

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:37 am

Nice idea Graham - but even with a fair bit of creative latitude I can't see how we can use one of those in the MPL postal series !

........I suppose it does have a spring in the trigger so maybe if we look at it with a large pair of rose tinted glasses we may possibly have a starting point to see how it can be adapted to propel a .177 pellet :think:

savantguarde

Post by savantguarde » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:33 am

Wouldnt a single stroke Pneumatic be simpler? I do enjoy my daisy 717's (Although they will soon be getting sold) and they are super super simple. You could even use something like the daisy valve / barrel as a basis and build up a pistol from that? 18 dollars for a barrel / valve assembly or even the lothar walther barrel / valve from the 747 (45 dollars) .

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:44 am

It certainly would be simpler and cheaper, and CO2 is looking an even better option at the moment.

Preliminary sketches have been made, and we need to start mocking up some parts to get the exact size.

There is also some legal research required to ensure that it is in order for individuals to build an airgun.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:45 am

It certainly would be simpler and cheaper, and CO2 is looking an even better option at the moment.

Preliminary sketches have been made, and we need to start mocking up some parts to get the exact size.

There is also some legal research required to ensure that it is in order for individuals to build an airgun, and more so as we anticipate selling a few to cover costs .

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH