Webley Senior straight grip box

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
sabre
Webley Senior straight grip box

Post by sabre » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:50 am

I have just aquired a Webley Senior straight grip pistol with box
the box has both ends of the lid brocken off is it worth fixing them back on or is it best left as is.
Attachments
box.JPG

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Webley Senior straight grip box

Post by Certus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:13 pm

sabre wrote:I have just aquired a Webley Senior straight grip pistol with box
the box has both ends of the lid brocken off is it worth fixing them back on or is it best left as is.
Hello Sabre,

Original box restoration is quite an art similar to repairing damaged books etc. Original boxes in good condition are quite valuable on their own, and even damaged ones can fetch quite high prices. It's a very personal thing, but as the box is not in the best condition, I would personalty attempt a sympathetic attempt to re-attach the ends of the box. I have previously successfully re-attached loose ends using transparent tape and a suitable paper adhesive. It's always nicer to store pistols within their original packaging, but I prefer reproduction boxes rather than boring old pistol slips to house the pistols for which I don't have the original boxes.

Regards

Brian

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:10 pm

Good advice from Certus.

Just don't use sellotape.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

sabre

Post by sabre » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:50 am

Ok thanks for the info but what do use rather than sellotape.

Regards Mike

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:54 pm

I think you can still get adhesive backed paper tape, which I would use to put the box back together by sticking it on the inside.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:50 pm

sabre wrote:Ok thanks for the info but what do use rather than sellotape.

Regards Mike
Hi,

I have used the semi-opaque tape used by Draughtsmen to secure paper to drawing boards etc. I used to get it from the Drawing Office at the Company I worked for before retirement, but believe it is available from good stationery suppliers. A small length of the tape is folded in an ' L' shape to hold and position the ends to main body of the box and the paper adhesive is used to fill the corner joints providing strength.

With a little bit of care, the box will at least be complete without too much obvious sign of restoration.

Regards

Brian

Brian